CP 3Mannworks [Deleted]

Status
Not open for further replies.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Okay, that's one element of the entire design of the game of TF2. Have you read Grazr's article on scale? Or his article on Balance, or on Objectives? Have you read the Developer Wiki articles on Design Theory?

I'm asking this because you seem to be deliberately only engaging with mapping on the shallowest level possible. You can't just make something at random, get a list of changes, apply them, and keep doing that until it's perfect. You need to understand how level design works and what makes something fun to play. It's okay to make mistakes, but you have to think about what the problems are and think about how to fix them.

If someone told you "put a pink giraffe in your map", that's obviously bad advice. It's what they want, but it doesn't fit. You need to understand why you're doing what you're doing.

There aren't any shortcuts. Adapting a map from one gamemode to another - especially when they're as massively different as MVM and standard tf2- is going to be just as much work to do properly as making a whole map. Anything else is really obviously just you being lazy.
I did look at the scaling and I put that into shutdown and people said it was off. I know to put rocks and stuff for jumping classes and scouts. Other objects to block sniper sight lines. I know about design theory. We're you need multiple routs and different levels.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Then why do you think people still don't have fun on your maps?
Because they are looking at all the small things that are wrong and don't take in what's good about the map. Now I know not being able to walk out of one door is not a small thing.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
Because they are looking at all the small things that are wrong and don't take in what's good about the map. Now I know not being able to walk out of one door is not a small thing.

What do you think is good that isn't going noticed? Not in this map - because it's mostly not yours. What was good about Whitejack that people weren't seeing?

Freyja

aa
Jul 31, 2009
No. If people are not having fun on your map it is not their fault. It is your entire job as a level designer to make people have fun.

If they need to 'look at what's good about the map' then they flat out won't. They will ignore it and go to a map where they have fun without work.

If you don't understand that then I seriously think you need to sit back and have a long think about what it is you want to achieve from being a mapper and making maps. Because it's not going to work like you are doing currently.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
What do you think is good that isn't going noticed? Not in this map - because it's mostly not yours. What was good about Whitejack that people weren't seeing?
They are not seeing that this is the first in it's kind. Nobody else turned a MvM map into a 3CP map. That is original. Nobody else did this. With Whitejack nobody seen that that was my biggest map to that date that was made from scratch. Also nobody else did a reverse Splash Mountain. That is original.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015

LeSwordfish

aa
Aug 8, 2010
They are not seeing that this is the first in it's kind. Nobody else turned a MvM map into a 3CP map. That is original. Nobody else did this. With Whitejack nobody seen that that was my biggest map to that date that was made from scratch. Also nobody else did a reverse Splash Mountain. That is original.

what the utter fuck is a reverse splash mountain

Nobody cares if a map is good "for you". Nobody is going to say "congratulations, you made a large map all by yourself" - everyone's done that.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
theres a reason nobody's done this before its because its a terrible idea

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
No. If people are not having fun on your map it is not their fault. It is your entire job as a level designer to make people have fun.

If they need to 'look at what's good about the map' then they flat out won't. They will ignore it and go to a map where they have fun without work.

If you don't understand that then I seriously think you need to sit back and have a long think about what it is you want to achieve from being a mapper and making maps. Because it's not going to work like you are doing currently.
People do look at what's nice about the map. People keep saying I like how this is. Or I like how the control point is. So they are doing it but choseing not do it on my map.

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
People do look at what's nice about the map. People keep saying I like how this is. Or I like how the control point is. So they are doing it but choseing not do it on my map.
i like the parts Valve made

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
what the utter fuck is a reverse splash mountain

Nobody cares if a map is good "for you". Nobody is going to say "congratulations, you made a large map all by yourself" - everyone's done that.
Reverse Splash Mountain is going up the waterfall and Mountain insead of going down.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
i like the parts Valve made
Okay, then what's wrong with the control point? It has cover from snipers and can be jumped on for jumping classes. It is close courters for Heavy's and pyro.

LeSwordfish

aa
Aug 8, 2010

To be frank, have you considered that none of it is very good?

I mean, even you, the creator, the best thing you can say is "it's big and i made it all by myself".

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
theres a reason nobody's done this before its because its a terrible idea
It is not. MvM maps are built for defending red base and how are other maps build. The team who owns the base are built for them.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Status
Not open for further replies.