Problems with Pakrat

Eris

L2: Junior Member
Jun 9, 2016
The filesize of the map has increased quite a bit, as if the files are in there, it's just... yeah, not working.

EDIT: I've been told that when booting up the map, it shows errors such as "
SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model! (models/props_construction/guardrail_256.mdl)" in the console.

Eris

Jun 9, 2016
I'm considering scrapping the map and making something with just the stock assets and some custom textures. It's kind of a shame though, as I like this map so far.

JaCuS

L1: Registered
Jul 1, 2011
Dont give up yet.
Let me take a look, I'm sure vide will work with this.

zahndah

professional letter
aa
Jul 4, 2015
I'm considering scrapping the map and making something with just the stock assets and some custom textures.

you dont need to scrap a map because things arent packing, just remove the things that wont pack right (unless im understanding something wrong here)

JaCuS

Jul 1, 2011
I can give it a try but, I need your broken/missing content:D
Ignore this "SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model!" for now. It only informs that You're trying to give vphysic type collision to a model without collision at all.

Last edited:

Eris

Jun 9, 2016
I can give it a try but, I need your broken/missing content:D
Ignore this "SOLID_VPHYSICS static prop with no vphysics model!" for now. It only informs that You're trying to give vphysic type collision to a model without collision at all.
They are supposed to have a collision thing, as pakrat gives them it.

I'm assuming you want the VMF, right? (The content packs you'll need for it are just the Bulletcrops content pack and the Construction content pack.)

Eris

Jun 9, 2016
After doing a bit of playing around with VIDE, I was able to get the models working, at the cost of completely breaking the skybox. Still not sure how to fix those, aside from an entirely new skybox.

It also requires me to run it with HDR, and quite a few of the custom textures don't work with it. Not exactly desirable of an outcome.

FrostyHoneyJuicy

L3: Member
Jun 12, 2014
Did you put your custom content in the "tf/custom" folder or in the folders like "tf/models" and "tf/materials"?

For some reason when I put something in my "tf/custom" folder, every single packing program fails at packing something.
Try to put your custom assets in "tf/models" and "tf/materials" folders. I am pretty that this will solve the problem.

I hope it helps.

EDIT: It's not really that important, but just to make this clear, if I wanna change some game files - I always use "tf/custom" folder. But when it comes to map-making - I always use "tf/models" and "tf/materials" folders. Just saying.

Last edited:

JaCuS

Jul 1, 2011
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36880497/a textury/ctf_warehouse_alpha3a.rar
Take a look, packed on auto.
1. Like Frost said put your content to"tf/models" and "tf/materials" and don't forget to add correct scan path.(Your partition:\steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf)
2. After scan highlight all content and hit "add" under file options.
3. Next hit "apply" under pakfile options.
4. Finally hit "save" under BSP options.
5. Thats all.

Last edited:

Eris

Jun 9, 2016
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/36880497/a textury/ctf_warehouse_alpha3a.rar
Take a look, packed on auto.
1. Like Frost said put your content to"tf/models" and "tf/materials" and don't forget to add correct scan path.(Your partition:\steam\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf)
2. After scan highlight all content and hit "add" under file options.
3. Next hit "apply" under pakfile options.
4. Finally hit "save" under BSP options.
5. Thats all.
The map seems to have the same errors, but I'll try frost's solution next.

Eris

Jun 9, 2016
After moving everything to the tf/materials folder, hammer is no longer detecting the textures and models in the editor, despite me trying to fix it by resetting the model locations to their new folders.

I also seem to lack a tf/models folder.

Last edited:

killohurtz

Distinction in Applied Carving
aa
Feb 22, 2014
You can actually create tf/models and tf/materials yourself if they don't exist. They don't hold any stock game files, so you can think of them as optional folders to store your custom content in.

Eris

Jun 9, 2016
You can actually create tf/models and tf/materials yourself if they don't exist. They don't hold any stock game files, so you can think of them as optional folders to store your custom content in.
Just finished it, and suddenly everything in hammer has snapped back to working again. Now to compile the thing.

EDIT: Pakrat autodetected the files this time, which is a good sign.

Eris

Jun 9, 2016
Glad to hear it! :engieyay:
Just waiting for my tester to do his thing, and then I'll report back. If all is well, I'll likely upload it to this site so the community can get their grubby hands on it and laugh at my terrible design choices. :p

Yrr

An Actual Deer
aa
Sep 20, 2015
you can test the map under sv_pure 2 to see if it packed properly

Eris

Jun 9, 2016
you can test the map under sv_pure 2 to see if it packed properly
Seems fairly handy.

Yeah, despite pakrat auto-detecting it, it still has not packed the models. Maybe CompilePAL will get different results.

The console is full of errors like "
Material models/props_construction/pencil_cup_01 does not support vertex format used by the mesh (maybe missing fields or mismatched vertex compression?), mesh will not be rendered. Grab a programmer!"

The only error in the compile logs is : Can't load skybox file [sub:1] to build the default cubemap!, which is usually always there when I'm working with cubemaps.

Last edited: