Megasnow

KotH Megasnow RC1

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Megasnow - Non-Event Megalo

As many have requested, a non-event version of Megalo. I'm gonna keep slowly chipping at this. I want to perhaps make some balancing changes still (like how the deathpit is now water instead), and it'd be nice to go further on the detail.

Last edited:

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Megasnow B1
- Halloween has finished, and winter has fallen upon the train terminal.
- The pit has flooded and frozen over! ...I think some pickups fell in there too?
- Turntable now goes up past the top level briefly after the 3rd train.
- After returning to the 1st level, the turntable briefly goes underwater.
- Added custom cap point icon
- Fixed unclipped windows on the central area

Gravidea

L6: Sharp Member
Apr 17, 2017
You have no idea how long I've been waiting for this! Loved this map when I first played it and honestly couldn't wait for a de-halloweened version. Great job at nailing the theming!

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Berry updated Megasnow with a new update entry:

B2

B2
- Adds snow to rooftops & icicles to doorways
- Lots of props are now covered with snow from KrazyZark's snow covered props pack
- Removed some small leftover halloween assets

I'm not really happy with the snow roofs here so I'll likely end up making custom blend textures for the autumnal roof materials used and do it the proper way eventually.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Gravidea

Apr 17, 2017
Hey there! The most recent version of this map seems to crash my game, as well as the server I run it on. If you need any more details give me a shout!

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Hey there! The most recent version of this map seems to crash my game, as well as the server I run it on. If you need any more details give me a shout!
Sorry for the slow response - Do you have any logs? I can't reproduce this locally myself.

Gravidea

Apr 17, 2017
Sorry for the slow response - Do you have any logs? I can't reproduce this locally myself.
Unfortunately, I'm a little unsure of how to get a crash log from my TF2 client after it goes down, and I don't host the servers so I don't have access to that either (just have permission to upload/remove maps). But I have a feeling it may have something to do with what you have/don't have packed into the map.

As you can see from the below screenshot, the most recent update is MUCH smaller in terms of filesize in comparison to b1. If you need any other info and can point me towards how to get it, gimme a shout! Sorry, I'm a little new to this. (Also sorry, I didn't realize the difference in filesize until RIGHT as I noticed your response. Wish I noticed it sooner!)

1645767159668.png

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Unfortunately, I'm a little unsure of how to get a crash log from my TF2 client after it goes down, and I don't host the servers so I don't have access to that either (just have permission to upload/remove maps). But I have a feeling it may have something to do with what you have/don't have packed into the map.

As you can see from the below screenshot, the most recent update is MUCH smaller in terms of filesize in comparison to b1. If you need any other info and can point me towards how to get it, gimme a shout! Sorry, I'm a little new to this. (Also sorry, I didn't realize the difference in filesize until RIGHT as I noticed your response. Wish I noticed it sooner!)

1645767159668.png

The filesize difference will be that for whatever reason I simply didn't repack b1 to compress it (likely just forgot), I've tried downloading the tf2maps copy and replacing it with my local one already and it works fine for me unusually.

Have you tried verifying the TF2 cache, redownloading the map, and running the map without any custom content present?

14bit

L14: Bit Member
aa
Oct 5, 2014
Yo, can I get credited for my work on the sticky bomb logic used on the point in this? I worked with abp to build it just for the halloween version of the map, but it was between when Valve already bought it and it was added to the game so I was never credited and didn't get a cut. The logic seems to have been reused here, so I'd like to be credited for making that bit!

Also, I also cannot open version b2c without the game crashing, just like Gravidea. B1 opens fine.

Last edited:

Gravidea

Apr 17, 2017
The filesize difference will be that for whatever reason I simply didn't repack b1 to compress it (likely just forgot), I've tried downloading the tf2maps copy and replacing it with my local one already and it works fine for me unusually.

Have you tried verifying the TF2 cache, redownloading the map, and running the map without any custom content present?
Right then. Sorry for wasting your time in mentioning that.

However, I've asked a few of my friends to run the map (and it seems 14bit ran the map as well) and it all leads to the same thing; the game unfortunately crashing. Someone showed me what their console looked like, and it appears to spam "Unknown NavArea sub-version number", though I'm unsure if that's even related to the crash that happens shortly after. I'll try to ask around some more and see if anyone knows anything from what they experienced.

I also went ahead and verified my games files, redownloaded the map, and made sure I didn't have any custom content on my client that would have interfered. I believe this might just be an issue with the map, where you running the map is fine, but everyone else has something conflicting that causes the map to crash their game. What that is however? I have no idea.

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
Very weird, the crash must most definitely be by something I've caused then, I'll start digging into what this could possibly be.

EDIT: Thankfully I can reproduce this on my laptop as opposed to my desktop, so I can at least know if I'm in the right direction fixing it without grabbing anyone else between compiles. This is still the most bizarre thing I've seen in 10 years; there has to be something specific about my desktop causing it not to crash.

Yo, can I get credited for my work on the sticky bomb logic used on the point in this? I worked with abp to build it just for the halloween version of the map, but it was between when Valve already bought it and it was added to the game so I was never credited and didn't get a cut. The logic seems to have been reused here, so I'd like to be credited for making that bit!

Also, I also cannot open version b2c without the game crashing, just like Gravidea. B1 opens fine.
Sorry about this, I've gone ahead and added you in.

Last edited:

nesman

master of fast travel
aa
Jun 27, 2016
Yo berry. Was debugging why I haven't been getting crash reports from maps crashing our servers and I found out that you aren't crashing the server just client.

Code:
muppet violence: !map koth_megasnow
Completed SourceTV demo "auto-20220226-2013-cp_coldfront.dem", recording time 566.4
---- Host_Changelevel ----

unimportant stuff

Unknown NavArea sub-version number

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012

B3

B3
- Recovered roofs in snow
- Uses Diva Dan's ice models instead of brushwork
- Replaced oak trees with more fitting pine trees
- It's now snowing
- Fixed some leftover halloween content
- Fixed a brushwork error present on the latest version of Megalo
- Reverted the change making the turntable go up a bit higher and also underwater

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012

B4

B4
- Sky changed from Yuki to Vickery as it better fits with the fog/lighting
- Fog & lighting adjusted to lean into sky also
- Improved the detail of OOB sections; more detailed roofs, snow on more objects, made some snow blends that were missing to have more snowy floors with correct materials
- Snow should no longer clip into buildings. It's a bit too light so it might want expanding more.
- Fixed phantom lights still being on from night time

Ismaciodismorphus

I just made you up to hurt myself
aa
Oct 5, 2020
I noticed you are using some of my old crappy blendtextures i have provided a pack of improved materials you have already used., These contain correct surface props for the textures and do not have the scaling problem of the previous versions you were using.

Attachments

• megasnow_tex_fix.zip
    1.8 KB · Views: 41

Berry

resident homo
aa
Dec 27, 2012
I noticed you are using some of my old crappy blendtextures i have provided a pack of improved materials you have already used., These contain correct surface props for the textures and do not have the scaling problem of the previous versions you were using.

Aha, thank you so much! Sorry for the late reply, I don't check TF2M too often. I'm just about to push RC1 which won't have this fix you may notice, but rest assured I will be putting this in the following version. Thanks!
:cookie: