War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Thinking
Capture_thinking.PNG

Conga Lyne

L2: Junior Member
Sep 2, 2017
Off-topic but did your period and tilde keys get swapped without you noticing
Actually an alien from an alternate dimension took all the keys capable of making a full stop and replaced them with a tilde, then added a virus so whenever I try to add a full stop I'm redirected to subway

...and I started the habit four years ago~

Also i'm not too sure what you're trying to show us here Fishy~

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
Actually an alien from an alternate dimension took all the keys capable of making a full stop and replaced them with a tilde, then added a virus so whenever I try to add a full stop I'm redirected to subway

...and I started the habit four years ago~

Also i'm not too sure what you're trying to show us here Fishy~

It's a teaser for something coming to the map.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015
No, I wish it could be a black empty void that will consume everything and everyone on that map. Seeing scouts trying to run away but then gets sucked in while there body gets crushed under so much pressure from the viod that all there bones get crushed and orgens gets flaten like a pancake then you just hear the scout take his last breath and cry. But that can't happen with Hammer so it's not that. It's something else.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015

Zoomspilo

Aug 8, 2017
If you're looking for a more interesting gameplay space, perhaps try making it more dynamic. Think about the 2Fort sewers. While they're mostly bland, the main room has a little bit of variation. Instead of just being a room in between the tunnels, it's raised above the water and has railings, making it slightly more interesting gameplay-wise. This isn't a great example, because the areas around the room of the sewers are long tunnels, and it's not much on its own, but it was topical and not many maps have adequately-sized sewers with a/multiple room(s).

Conga Lyne

Sep 2, 2017
If you're looking for a more interesting gameplay space, perhaps try making it more dynamic. Think about the 2Fort sewers. While they're mostly bland, the main room has a little bit of variation. Instead of just being a room in between the tunnels, it's raised above the water and has railings, making it slightly more interesting gameplay-wise. This isn't a great example, because the areas around the room of the sewers are long tunnels, and it's not much on its own, but it was topical and not many maps have adequately-sized sewers with a/multiple room(s).
There's other maps with sewers which do this a lot better than that thing, 2fort as a map is just choke pointy, tight and doesn't leave much room other than "build sentry guns, spam crit stickys, rocket jump to intel"~
The room your refering to is, also pretty bland, the height advantage isn't even noticeable most of the time and I feel like we're on the same level, being out of water doesn't matter since it feels like the water in the sewers is purely decorational. additionally other than a health pack and an ammo pack it serves no purpose other than being a room engineers can stick a sentry gun in~
Even the railings feel meaningless, I don't feel like they protect me if a soldier wanted to spam his rockets into my room and it just adds to the choke pointness by eliminating alternate routes for a spy to take~
Spy is restricted to taking a set path unless he wants to pull off a tricky jump, even then due to how small the room is and it having only one real entrance, all it takes is a single pyro typing +attack and +left into the console to lock down spy activity there~

plr_nightfall_final (last area) provides a better example of this, the sewer route leaves you with a great height advantage & pleanty of cover at first to disinterest spawncampers but quickly goes down, leaving you with no cover, nowhere to run (except back into the sewers) and leaves you mostly vulnerable but an excellent position to spam the objective as demoman~
You make yourself vulnerable but you still have room to move around, instead you could explosive jump out, run onto the other half of the map to flank behind and the tunnel itself can open up a lot of different flanking routes which couldn't be done without it~
...A lot more functionality than a room you can slap a sentry in.

Regardless even with that in place, a sewer is a pyro's best friend~

(This is the sewers i'm referring to if you're confused)
u4MeWBL.jpg

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
How many people do you get when you hit on them with that?

More than she gets when she hits on them with this:

No, I wish it could be a black empty void that will consume everything and everyone on that map. Seeing scouts trying to run away but then gets sucked in while there body gets crushed under so much pressure from the viod that all there bones get crushed and orgens gets flaten like a pancake then you just hear the scout take his last breath and cry. But that can't happen with Hammer so it's not that. It's something else.

Something else indeed.

FloofCollie

I really suck!
aa
Nov 5, 2016
Just adding a "hill" of sorts, I.E. a small raised platform with stairs leading up on both sides, can improve gameplay dynamics. You may not be able to see past the staircase if it's tall enough, which can work wonders if it's a long hallway, and people caught in the middle may not be as pooped if they're surrounded because they'd have a height advantage.

Basically, do anything you feel like.
If players don't like it, hey, you've got an idea of how to craft things next time~

Zoomspilo

Aug 8, 2017
There's other maps with sewers which do this a lot better than that thing, 2fort as a map is just choke pointy, tight and doesn't leave much room other than "build sentry guns, spam crit stickys, rocket jump to intel"~
The room your refering to is, also pretty bland, the height advantage isn't even noticeable most of the time and I feel like we're on the same level, being out of water doesn't matter since it feels like the water in the sewers is purely decorational. additionally other than a health pack and an ammo pack it serves no purpose other than being a room engineers can stick a sentry gun in~
Even the railings feel meaningless, I don't feel like they protect me if a soldier wanted to spam his rockets into my room and it just adds to the choke pointness by eliminating alternate routes for a spy to take~
Spy is restricted to taking a set path unless he wants to pull off a tricky jump, even then due to how small the room is and it having only one real entrance, all it takes is a single pyro typing +attack and +left into the console to lock down spy activity there~

plr_nightfall_final (last area) provides a better example of this, the sewer route leaves you with a great height advantage & pleanty of cover at first to disinterest spawncampers but quickly goes down, leaving you with no cover, nowhere to run (except back into the sewers) and leaves you mostly vulnerable but an excellent position to spam the objective as demoman~
You make yourself vulnerable but you still have room to move around, instead you could explosive jump out, run onto the other half of the map to flank behind and the tunnel itself can open up a lot of different flanking routes which couldn't be done without it~
...A lot more functionality than a room you can slap a sentry in.

Regardless even with that in place, a sewer is a pyro's best friend~

(This is the sewers i'm referring to if you're confused)
u4MeWBL.jpg
I didn't know that map had sewers. I've only played Hightower for PLR, LOL. I thought 2Fort was the only example of a sewers area large enough to consider.

Thanks for correcting me, though.

Conga Lyne

Sep 2, 2017
I didn't know that map had sewers. I've only played Hightower for PLR, LOL. I thought 2Fort was the only example of a sewers area large enough to consider.

Man if 2fort's your go to example, you need to play more maps.

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015

FishyUberMuffin

War Paints Everywhere
Apr 26, 2015

SD_Doomsday also has sewers.