YM's polypack thread

Porkchop

L1: Registered
Apr 6, 2009
Dont you remember the developer commentaries? The feet are supposed to be the darekest part of the player model.

Well, Valve's done some things with TF2 already that they've tried to avoid, like hats, which disrupt the whole silhouette deal. Anyhow, I guess this isn't the topic to discuss that in.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
medigun-wip-6.jpg

It works!

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Nov 14, 2009
I dont think it is noticeable enough, in game...

I had to look twice to see that it wasnt normal medigun.

Sep 12, 2008
I dunno where you're going YM, but I don't like that you're just "remaking" or "reskinning" the blutsauger, medigun, his backpack.
This is nothing new, nothing unique.

If you'd make a completely different but good looking model the chances of wining this contest would be waaaaaaay bigger. Just saying.

cyked

L3: Member
Dec 18, 2009
I like #2, though it reminds me a lot of a nailgun (could just be the handle accent thing) I kinda want to see what #4 combined with the top loading of #2 would look like.

#5 looks like some sort of super soaker :D

Last edited:

Acumen

Annoyer
aa
Jun 11, 2009
i think the main problem is, that most of your important areas are too blocky formed together, so we can't really discuss the details,
i think handle of #2 and #4 suit best. i tried something like #5 on my needlegun and it totally looked like the flamethrower handle ^^
i also like the reloading back part of #4. well and the rest is just not there yet, i'd say. if all then the gun front from #2, but only because it's the most detailled from all of the examples :)

on another note. what where your resources of doing this ingame replacement ? certain online tutorials - that i just am unable to track down ?
or just some trial/error marathon ? cause after you mentioned the clipping issues, I surely need to figure these out :)
also how to go with all the animations and stuff ? just name my replacement model "needle_replace.mdl" and everything else is into place ?

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I dunno where you're going YM, but I don't like that you're just "remaking" or "reskinning" the blutsauger, medigun, his backpack.
This is nothing new, nothing unique.

If you'd make a completely different but good looking model the chances of wining this contest would be waaaaaaay bigger. Just saying.

it is a reskinning contest though. I mean the weapon has to still fire projectiles in the exact same manner (I could reskin those too though) so so I'm limited to the way it operates, and the way it is held.

I can't go making a harpoon gun as it's replacement.

Though I am open to ideas if you've got suggestions!!

I've introduced the top-loading mechanism the the syringegun, I want to look at giving it a more obvious firing mechanism since neither have that so far.

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
Its a shame I can't code different types of Ubercharge, or I would definately code one for your medigun. I can mess with stats to do with healing rate, Ubercharge rate, Overheal Decay ect. , so If you want anything done for either your syringe gun or your medigun just gimme a shout and I would happily do so.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
i think the main problem is, that most of your important areas are too blocky formed together, so we can't really discuss the details
There aren't any details to guess yet, if I had details I wouldn't be making silhouettes.
I want to get shape down before I start working on what the thing actually IS.

on another note. what where your resources of doing this ingame replacement ? certain online tutorials - that i just am unable to track down ?
or just some trial/error marathon ? cause after you mentioned the clipping issues, I surely need to figure these out :)
also how to go with all the animations and stuff ? just name my replacement model "needle_replace.mdl" and everything else is into place ?
Breakthrough moment when I learnt to skin - http://apocmakeshats.webs.com/index.htm

you can call it whatever you want and put it whereever you want and just use the load weapon feature of HLMV to see how it works as a weapon so you dont have to overwrite any actual wreapons, though to get it in game you need to overwrite one of the c_models for it to show up. I seem to have overwritten the KK instead of the medigun by mistake.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Its a shame I can't code different types of Ubercharge, or I would definately code one for your medigun. I can mess with stats to do with healing rate, Ubercharge rate, Overheal Decay ect. , so If you want anything done for either your syringe gun or your medigun just gimme a shout and I would happily do so.

I've got http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2126504/medic/function options.txt for when I think of fun function changes but I'm more concerned with how it looks.

New animations is something I want, a new taunt would be epic but if I could get animations it would be better cause it means I'm not limited to how any weapon is held or reloads giving much more freedom :D

Jimmy

L420: High Member
Jul 6, 2009
I've got http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2126504/medic/function options.txt for when I think of fun function changes but I'm more concerned with how it looks.

I could code the #4, Its a shame they didn't add some sort of AoE healing thing for the medic, something I wouldve liked as well. I could also code the UberSyringe Gun, which I have done in the past. Maybe design the weapons attributes to work well with each other, or other medic unlockables? Ill see what I can come up with.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Although the model looks pretty cool in first person, it looks very much like the original medigun at first glance from third person; even with the canisters. They need to be more obvious, try working with just 1 or 2 canisters rather than 4 small ones to get the silhouette looking more unique.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
@grazr
medigun-comparisons.jpg

Still feel the silhouette isnt different enough? (the handguard is totally gone now)