Wow, gameday failures...

Fraz

Blu Hatte, Greyscale Backdrop.
aa
Dec 28, 2008
I think another problem with gameday this week was between choosing which map to go onto. Borax and Furnace were played at the same time on the Saturday and some people were annoyed that they couldnt play both. I think two gamedays on one server, one on Sat, one on Sun, but a map should only be allowed on one gameday (eg cp_awsomemap can only be on Saturday) the server has more people playing, the admin has less work to do (I presume it doubles with 2 servers) and each mapper will gain things from it. This is imo but I think it would work.

~M

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
What I'm asking for is unselfish mappers who will play through everyones maps and give feedback positive or negative (but conrtuctive crtis always best) whetehr or not they like that gamemode. This helps mappers as a whole.

I always play as much as RL allows, whether it's arena or not. Point was that since I don't play arena, I don't know what makes a good arena map. A good layout in a PL map may or may not be a good layout in an arena map. So, aside from visual feedback that any schmo can provide, I don't know what help people that don't regularly play arena are going to be able to give.

Personally I don't care for you map all that much BUT i have played it and gave you feeback about 3 times now, I even gave YOU extra time on a map/playstyle I don't personally care for to HELP YOU. Not because I wanted to play that map.

I don't see any replies by you in my WIP thread, so I hope you're not confusing me for someone else. You're the one that said putting arena separate is like putting the crap separate..not me. I'm sure there's arena servers and people that love it. My sole point is that a separate event would attract those people who can give quality feedback, rather than filling up the server with people unfamiliar with the gametype who are incapable of giving proper feedback.

Again, I have no problems testing your map, but I'm not very qualified.

That is what gameday is about. If you just wanna play your favorite map or style go play it and leave room for testers on the server.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
wow...this...is an interesting thread XD
anyways, I would like to apologize for my server being essentially unavailable this weekend, the host decided to suddenly reveal a limit of the number of custom maps i can have on the server, so the server could not be used...

anyways, regardless of how badly this went, I happen to believe this was necessary, a test needed to be done on how well more then one server went. Not to say it is a bad idea, but we do clearly need far more organization to get this to work (more admins or an intelligent server). But for now we should probably stick to only one server.

Provided my server host allows more if not unlimited custom maps, I will transfer ownership of the server directly to the owners of the site, as we clearly need some kind of server where sole ownership lies with the site, mixed ownership is clearly not working out.
And if my host refuses to honor more maps I will cancel it and get another from a friend that owns a server company, and i will donate that one.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
I always play as much as RL allows, whether it's arena or not. Point was that since I don't play arena, I don't know what makes a good arena map. A good layout in a PL map may or may not be a good layout in an arena map. So, aside from visual feedback that any schmo can provide, I don't know what help people that don't regularly play arena are going to be able to give.
Yeah, I understand the Rl life thing. People have time or they don't, sometimes it's hard to coincide with everyone else, especially around thwe world.
But testing isn't just about gameplay, it's also about looking for bugs, nodraw, tedious boring stuff unfortunately.
Not that arena is that har dto understand, try different classes, tell the author 'I played sniper and couldn't find anywhere to snipe', I got burned by pyros and couldn't get away', whatever.

It puzzles me why poeple think arena is a foriegn entity that is so unfamiliar with TF2 gameplay. You try not to die for 60 seconds, then you cap the point. Simple.

You don't have to figure out how to fly the balloon or figure out something like taking intel from a truck to a cap point... There are no new classes where you have to figure out weapons, no complicated caps, cart pushing, nothing. Kill, try to stay alive, cap.

I don't see any replies by you in my WIP thread, so I hope you're not confusing me for someone else. You're the one that said putting arena separate is like putting the crap separate..not me. I'm sure there's arena servers and people that love it. My sole point is that a separate event would attract those people who can give quality feedback, rather than filling up the server with people unfamiliar with the gametype who are incapable of giving proper feedback.

No I'm not confusing you, it's possible I haven't got to your thread, there are alot of them. Like I said earlier, if everyone can leave comments in 75% of the threads than all authors will most likely get at least some feedback.

I have played your map several times, you were there each time. The last was when I ran the server and you got on and asked to play yours and we did, longer than anyone elses. The time before that was at night on some server with Icarus and some other players. I mentioned to you thta I blew up the last cap with stickies before it ever got capped.

My point about arena/'crap' maps is the point you are not getting. I'm not sayin arena or any of the maps played are 'crap'. My point was if we start dividing maps onto different servers based on type or likeablility goes back to my first post and the start of this thread. There seems to be a 'favoritism' goin with the gamedays.

If we are only gonna play certian maps it shouldn't be gametest day it should be 'our favorite PL map test day'. It shouldn't be TF2maps.net, it should be TF2maps that are good but not arena or alpha, or someone needs to learn to map so they can't have test time.net.

Again, I have no problems testing your map, but I'm not very qualified.

That is what gameday is about. If you just wanna play your favorite map or style go play it and leave room for testers on the server.

This last sentance was mine so I'm not sure if you forgot to erase it or are telling me I am preaching favoritism :)

And I didn't mean to offend by what I said. My point wasn't that I don't like your map, my point is that I have played quite a few times and given you verbal feedback during gameplay at least 3 times now. Not because I wanted to play your map specifically, but because that is how we help each other out.
Due to the fact that when I said something and you said 'ok', or 'how did you blow up the point?' and I answered back I figured posting it again on the thread was uneeded.

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
so...I have now discovered that my server has actually expired, no less then 2 days ago...so now I have a decision to make...
I am going to try an squirm out of another 6 month subscription to the gameservers server, if I can do that successfully then I can either get a server from my friend or just give up on owning a server. If I do get another server then it will still be for the full use of this group. But...it will be with a different mentality, no longer will it be "Ive already paid for the server, its completely unused, I might as well give access to people", now I will be paying directly out of my pocket to fund a specific function of the group...
This is essentially $30 a month, with virtually no chance of me making any kind of money with it, it will be a direct donation for all intensive purposes. As such I would require that this is the tf2maps server, I do not want to simply be tossed into a group with a bunch of clans that are offering "use" of their server. Anyways, ive probably got a day or 2 before gameservers gets back to me, so...think about it.

Oh, and I may or may not be able to knock some cash off the price of the server if the site is willing to replace the gameserver banners with magnirack (my friends company) banners, no obligation or anything, just seeing the opinion on that.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
If we are only gonna play certian maps it shouldn't be gametest day it should be 'our favorite PL map test day'. It shouldn't be TF2maps.net, it should be TF2maps that are good but not arena or alpha, or someone needs to learn to map so they can't have test time.net.

I want to caution against looking at this as a black and white issue. I personally think that there are certain factors that should qualify a map for inclusion in gameday testing. A map should only be submitted if the following apply:
  • The map's gameplay needs 24 people to be adequately tested.
  • The map has enough content to fill a 30 minute block.

A populated server is a valuable resource for mappers, and putting a map in the rotation just for finding basic bugs or that has about five minutes of unique gameplay in it is disrespectful to those that have greater need for the group of testers who turn out to play on gameday.

It only takes four or five people to go through the "tedious boring stuff" that you mentioned, or even people doing so individually on their own. Doing it with 24 people all at once is a waste. If that sort of thing is needed, the map author should make use of the steam chat, which is probably an even more valuable (and much neglected) community resource. Several members with access to servers frequent the chat, and often someone will throw a basic map up for a small group of people to run around finding bugs and making suggestions about optimization and gameplay.

I feel strongly that 30 minutes is the bare minimum for an adequate gameplay test of any map with a moderate amount of complexity, which is why I haven't really involved myself with any gamedays since the slots got dropped to 20 minutes. When a map has a limited amount of content (melee boxing ring style maps, for example) or have gameplay destroying bugs (such as forward spawn doors that won't open), either the server empties after ten minutes of tedium, or it forces a map change which gets gameday off schedule. Both cases hurt the gameday and are unfair to the other mappers who are participating.

I like the idea of putting it at two days once again, and spreading the map list across both days (which will hopefully bring timeslots back up to 30 minutes). But I think that simultaneously more emphasis needs to be placed on the steam chat as a source of active feedback any time, and not just gamedays, and slightly stricter criteria need to be set on maps to be included in the schedule.

Sgt Frag

L14: Epic Member
May 20, 2008
Yeah, I agree that testing shouldn't be just tedious but my point is that anyone who is involved in mapping (hopefully everyone on gameday) knows how to find this stuff and will point out stuff that's hard to find.
Arena maps might not be best for 24 players. But try testing one out with 4 players, it's not the same as with 16 or 22, I've even played 12v12 in arena (I think up to 15v15). It's alot easier to get that player base for a test during a gameday.

Arena mode IS about short intense action. It might only take 30 seconds to win a round, it might take 5 minutes. It doesn't mean it's lacking in content, it's just another TF2 style of gameplay.

I'm currently going through a painful task of reorganizing arena_medieval for better gameplay. This comes after months of getting a few poeple here and there together and finding 10 different servers that would let me do a little testing (but not much feedback 'cause they aren't mappers).

After all this time I'm redoing what I thought I was finished on due to lack of feedback, not for lack of trying. This is a map that got played once out of 5 scheduled gamedays. Maybe if I had got some good playtime with mappers and good feedback during that time I wouldn't be where I am at now. Maybe I would've only taken 2 gameday slots instead of 5 also.

And this isn't testing looking for nodraw, this is testing to make it a fun arena map to play on for extended amounts of rounds.
============
But the reason I had come to post this time was because I think having a criteira for mappers to meet would also help the admins.

These suggestions are just for mappers to keep in mind to help with the burden of running a gameday.

1: zip the file up in bz2 if at all possible instead of zip or rar.
The only real reason to not do this is because you can't upload to tf2maps.net (I had some proxy issues awhile back) and have to upload to fpsbanana.

Peazip and 7zip are both free programs, easy to use, can open and zip in many formats including bz2.
So there's no reason not to. The admins can upload that directly to quick Dl and unzip it for the servers map folder.
Don't make them rezip your files PLEASE.

2: NO last minute submissions. If you have made changes to your map after the deadline keep them to yourself until next gameday. You can wait a week. It's hard enough and time consuming plus uses bandwidth to change stuff out last minute. Also makes it hard for admins to test DL's ahead of time and have server ready to go.
If you haven't made any changes and DID get a test last week, don't submit again. You will probably only get the same feedback. Save that time for someone who needs it more. Wait until you have fixed stuff from last feedback session to have it tested again.

3:BE THERE. If you are gonna submit your map, get a time slot that works for you, have everyone else DL, play and give feedback you can at least TRY to be there on time. There are always exceptions, things come up, computers crash. Maybe you think you can be there then last minute can't, that's fine. PooPoo happens.
But if you KNOW you will NOT be there, wait until you can be there. In this case at least try to find a 'representative' who you can discuss your map with in detail before hand and let them know what your plans are, what the issues are, etc...
That's just a common courtesy.

Last edited:

GrimGriz

Jan 2, 2009
It puzzles me why poeple think arena is a foriegn entity that is so unfamiliar with TF2 gameplay. You try not to die for 60 seconds, then you cap the point. Simple.
You try not to die for 60 seconds. For me, that's more like playing CS than TF2.

No I'm not confusing you, it's possible I haven't got to your thread, there are alot of them.
I have a hard time remembering who said what if I don't recognize the voice in voice chat. I also have a bad memory...those 2 things make me very appreciative for people who leave stuff in the WIP thread :)

My point about arena/'crap' maps is the point you are not getting. I'm not sayin arena or any of the maps played are 'crap'. My point was if we start dividing maps onto different servers based on type or likeablility goes back to my first post and the start of this thread. There seems to be a 'favoritism' goin with the gamedays.
Fair enough. Mine was not to divide it on likeability, but on audience. I say arena maps have a different audience than pl, cp, and ctf customs, and I think those have a different audience than wacky_races. Perhaps separate events tailored to those audiences would result in shorter, more focused, testing.

Due to the fact that when I said something and you said 'ok', or 'how did you blow up the point?' and I answered back I figured posting it again on the thread was uneeded.
Unneeded, perhaps...but it definitely would have helped me remember who said/helped with what.

I don't play arena in my spare time, but to be honest I don't remember EVER refusing a friendslist request for map-test help, nor ever refusing to give ppl admin enough to host a map on my server as well as personally doing the uploads of those maps.

At any rate, let's make out now.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
this is terrible and i apologize for being absent. obviously, having multiple servers is not working. what we need is a stable server that can play any gametype available. ill just have to pull the trigger and get one.

also, you need to understand, we cannot fault people for leaving early/after their map is played/etc.

gameday isnt a commitment to play when you dont want to. having a limit of 6 maps per game day is necessary to keep a full server. 20 minutes a map will allow us to test play 6 maps in 2hrs.

signups will be first come first serve.
more stringent guidlines for having your map on the rotation will also have to be put in place. working gametype/spawns/etc.

TotalMark

L6: Sharp Member
Feb 13, 2008
We can have two servers for gameday, just split gameday into two days, one server a day.

Gameday weekend... Nice ring to it.

GrimGriz

Jan 2, 2009
this is terrible and i apologize for being absent. obviously, having multiple servers is not working. what we need is a stable server that can play any gametype available. ill just have to pull the trigger and get one.

also, you need to understand, we cannot fault people for leaving early/after their map is played/etc.

gameday isnt a commitment to play when you dont want to. having a limit of 6 maps per game day is necessary to keep a full server. 20 minutes a map will allow us to test play 6 maps in 2hrs.

more stringent guidlines for having your map on the rotation will also have to be put in place. working gametype/spawns/etc.

If you're going to be that stringent, I'd have to ask that we look into setting up something to facilitate server-owners (such as myself) posting events to a calendar or something. We've definitely got more than 6 mappers wanting testing per week. I know I've given admin to at least 10 other mappers on my server.

I cant' post in the events forum, can you set up something where we can submit an event post to a moderator for approval or something?

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007

9 sounds better, three hours is not long by gameday standards, and if we start at 12EST then the server will be packed all the way through

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
If you're going to be that stringent, I'd have to ask that we look into setting up something to facilitate server-owners (such as myself) posting events to a calendar or something. We've definitely got more than 6 mappers wanting testing per week. I know I've given admin to at least 10 other mappers on my server.

I cant' post in the events forum, can you set up something where we can submit an event post to a moderator for approval or something?
this sounds like a good idea.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007

20 minutes per map is too short, regardless of the number of maps/players

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
20 minutes per map is too short, regardless of the number of maps/players
30 minutes then?
6 maps at 30 minute rotations. that's 3hrs. more than six maps is overkill i think.

cornontheCoD

L420: High Member
Mar 25, 2008
whatever you guys do, please post what the gameday schedule will be a little beforehand. This last time, I saw two gamedays, and posted in one and it posted in the other one too. So I figured, "hey same rotation on both servers both saturday and sunday. that's weird, but whatever." I planned on attending saturday (I thought my map was going to be on both days), but had an emergency. I thought I could just attend the next day, Sunday. When I go to the thread on sunday morning, turns out only one server is doing gameday on sunday, and it's not the one with my map on it.

TheBladeRoden

L420: High Member
Oct 26, 2007
I say we should have two gamedays on the weekend. We don't need such a limit to the map list. On Saturday we go through the map list as normal, but then on Sunday we go through the maplist in reverse. That way maps that got attendance drop off on Saturday get top billing on Sunday.

MrAlBobo

Feb 20, 2008
I say we should have two gamedays on the weekend. We don't need such a limit to the map list. On Saturday we go through the map list as normal, but then on Sunday we go through the maplist in reverse. That way maps that got attendance drop off on Saturday get top billing on Sunday.

I like this...quite interesting idea, mostly because it is one that uses both days and does not limit people that can only play for one day

GrimGriz

Jan 2, 2009
2 servers, 1 EU 1 US.
2 gamedays per day - 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. in each timezone