Would you remove TF2M posters if it meant being an official map?

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
If I were using the posters in the first place, I'd remove them if it meant my map becoming official. No doubt about that.

I might have left some subtle signs, though. Although even TF2M isn't very subtle, since it has the number 2, and TF2 kinda sticks out. I'm thinking something like "FORTRESS MAPS", with an ad for actual maps (not levels).

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
So no one likes the ones I made for the payload contest as alternatives to the two that are like "HEY GUYS I'M AN ADVERT IN YOUR MAP LOLOLOL"

tf2maps-signs_151.jpg

Mar

Banned
Feb 12, 2009
sexy

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I wouldn't remove it, i'd consider it a challenge to hide it from valve. Part of the previous competition to include said pimpage was to have the sign somewhere quite obvious for obvious pimping.

I'd probably turn it into an easter egg, a hidden room.. or on the back of a sign that sits a couple units before a wall. So a spectator might accidently brush past and see it or a death cam shot might glimpse it. But there's no way people playing it would go "oh, website ad!".

Under those circumstances i can't see why Valve would complain. They'd probably see the light side of it.. they never stopped mappers putting their signature's into their maps before. We just havn't seen it for TF2 yet as the custom content scene is still getting on its feet.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
Yeah, the other half of the issue is getting VALVe to pack in a sign that says TF2Maps on it.

GrimGriz

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 2, 2009
Make a model that's a case of rolled up maps, with the word maps on the side - with the serial number ATF2M4U below that with the A and M4U part faded....with a bug-catching net sitting on top of the case...

Oh, and to answer the original question - without hesitation, particularly since it is my understanding there is money involved with a map becoming official.

Armadillo of Doom

Group Founder, Lover of Pie
aa
Oct 25, 2007
So no one likes the ones I made for the payload contest as alternatives to the two that are like "HEY GUYS I'M AN ADVERT IN YOUR MAP LOLOLOL"

tf2maps-signs_151.jpg

Silly old bear :rolleyes: Of course we love them, and that set of posters is a perfect example of 'blending in as game art'. However, whether or not the TF2 art style makes a web address subtle enough for Valve, remains to be seen.

Feb 14, 2008
If we had a distinctive logo or a less conspicuous name then it would be quite easy to sneak in.

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
i would definitely remove them in a heartbeat if it meant getting my map to go official. and i would hope everyone here would feel the same way.

ofcourse, if its possible to give the site a little credit if it helped get your map to where it is today, and still have it go official, it would be sweet.