[WIP] tc_meridian

Arhurt

L6: Sharp Member
May 7, 2008
I'm always inspired by this project, you guys are doing a really good job. I'm going to find some time next week to seriously review it and give you some feedback.

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
Shmitz, Budikaman, where do you guys live, i might be able to do something with our clan, but that depends on you're timezone

Dec 25, 2007
Two small issues in b1, between the temple and robot room:

Healthpack intersecting ground

A narrow squeeze You can't quite get between this tree and the rock without a jump; they should be marginally further apart.

Zmathue

L2: Junior Member
Aug 3, 2008
1220196891322wy5.jpg

I don't know if this has been posted yet, but from here I can double jump and land on the edge of this building. But from there I'm just standing against a player clip, you might what to move the player clip out a bit so its not possible to land on the edge of the building.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2007
And another small issue:

Hovering sentry You can stand on the ledge on the front of the door, and build inside the door. I haven't made a successful tp exit in the hut (it explodes when you try to tp through it), but a sentry on the village - sub bay round is amusing.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I believe I've discovered the cause of the instant-cap bug (when you pick up the intel and immediately capture it). Because the capture zone ownership is changed only when the intel is capped, if an area changes ownership because of a win in Sudden Death, the capture zone ownership is not changed with it.

This should be easily fixable, and will be fixed for beta 3.

Spikespiegel

L1: Registered
Sep 4, 2008
As someone who are not particular happy about this map, I better give my feedback :p

First off, the bug with the missing overlay is a major flaw of this map which is, ofcourse, not your fault, but it does make the intel virtually impossible to defend.

Also, when I play the map, I get a feeling that the map is only half-done. Most hallways seem dull and lack details, not to mention cover. Some things are quite awesome, the robot for example, but the lack of detail in the rest of the room, kind of ruins the impression.

Also, for a capture the intelligence map, there are on many stages too many pathways between the points.

Finally, it's easy for new players to get lost inside the bases and the arrows are not always helpful enough to find the exits.

I do love the environment, though, as well as some areas, especially the inca-ruins and the TF2-totem are very nicely done.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Most hallways seem dull and lack details, not to mention cover.

Also, for a capture the intelligence map, there are on many stages too many pathways between the points.

Finally, it's easy for new players to get lost inside the bases and the arrows are not always helpful enough to find the exits.

As much as I appreciate the criticisms, it's very hard to act on "mosts" and "manys". If you could provide specific instances of hallways you think could use cover, or locations where you think arrows would improve player direction, it would be extremely helpful.

Spikespiegel

Sep 4, 2008
As much as I appreciate the criticisms, it's very hard to act on "mosts" and "manys". If you could provide specific instances of hallways you think could use cover, or locations where you think arrows would improve player direction, it would be extremely helpful.

I'm at work now, so I can't check up on exactly where the locations are.

But I think that the Robot base could use a little better guidance on how to get to the exit, as does the inca temple base (if the exit is in the side, many players run past the exit, comes back to the central room, and are confused because the exit wasn't where the arrow pointed).

As for places that needs detail work and maybe a bit cover, especially the canyon pops into mind. I think that it could use alot of detail to it, especially since you can see that the water are squares put together (you can see the "edges" because of the lack of detail to the ground).

I find the small village to be dull too.

There's a lack of cover on the ship (as the opposing team tends to have lots of snipers for this stage). Also, the ship could use a bit more detail work.

Finally, there's an alcove on the upper level of the stage, across the conyon, that looks like a good place for cover, if you are a scout under fire, but jumping to it, will result in you hitting a playerclip, and then pummel to your death.

The upper access way to the robot could use a bit of detail work.

The room with the robot in it, could use alot of detail work, but also some cover for the upper walkways.

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
The ship in my opinion looks really dull. There is cover in the front of it, but not much in the back, leading to huge sniper wars. Add some more natural cover and chokepoints, as it feels too open. The ship just has one color, unlike the one in Granary's skybox. Maybe make the boat based on that (or something similar)?

Bonafide

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 18, 2008
As someone who are not particular happy about this map, I better give my feedback :p

First off, the bug with the missing overlay is a major flaw of this map which is, ofcourse, not your fault, but it does make the intel virtually impossible to defend.

Also, when I play the map, I get a feeling that the map is only half-done. Most hallways seem dull and lack details, not to mention cover. Some things are quite awesome, the robot for example, but the lack of detail in the rest of the room, kind of ruins the impression.

I do love the environment, though, as well as some areas, especially the inca-ruins and the TF2-totem are very nicely done.

dont you love it when people say they hate the map and then give completely vague reasoning that cant be used to improve the map at all.

Spikespiegel

Sep 4, 2008
dont you love it when people say they hate the map and then give completely vague reasoning that cant be used to improve the map at all.
Don't you love it when people bash you for trying to explain something the best you can in a language that is not your first, nor your second, but the FOURTH tongue you speak? :glare:

Last edited:

Buddikaman

L3: Member
Dec 31, 2007
He did give "some" specific examples. Certain areas of the map are lacking "details". This is understandable, as I would probably have to agree with him. Sometimes as developers its easy to get tied up on something looking its best and often only other people can see the improvements that need to be made. I could give you a "paint over" right now of the current meridian screenshots that give them 50% more life and depth with just little "details". Of course being a custom map, we have a much more limited budget than valve would. But than again BEING a custom map, i also realise this map will get hugely overlooked by the community and will never receive the playerbase it would otherwise get. As such, I would much rather have a beatiful map that never gets played, than a half assed memory budget map that gets played by maybe, what, 5-10 servers on a 20 map rotation? That doesnt interest me at all..

Scott Petty
Environment Artist
www.Buddikaman.com

Last edited:

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I would much rather have a map with efficiently managed content and detail that gets played, than a nonfunctional showpiece that nobody will ever care about. That doesn't interest me at all.

There is no reason the map can't look good and stick to its memory budget and have good performance. It just takes a little ingenuity and intelligent application of the various options for adding detail.

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
Right now you guys look like you have a map that has a VERY good chance of getting accepted by valve as "official"...

You need it to look its best while still being functional.