[WIP] pl_valley (tentative name)

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
please check the EULA before packing the content with the bsp.

necro

L3: Member
Mar 24, 2008
Its still not custom. Its like taking a painting and changing the filter in photoshop then saying its your own work :p
Exactly. I still give credit to valve for the textures. But I dont have a problem modifying them, since its valve's work in a valve product ultimately benefitting, you guessed it, valve. :)

Also, I know other user maps have packaged ep2 content. Like snowfort was using the same pine trees.

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Also, I know other user maps have packaged ep2 content. Like snowfort was using the same pine trees.
Since you're going to take that attitude:

The kids around the corner from my house take drugs. That doesn't make it legal.

tedrock

L2: Junior Member
Apr 20, 2008
all i gotta say is look at your map in game and ask yourself "does this look like TF2?" because currently it looks like HL2 or CS:S. and i'm not talking about that fact it's not desert or industrial. the textures look far to real.

necro

Mar 24, 2008
Since you're going to take that attitude:

The kids around the corner from my house take drugs. That doesn't make it legal.

Indeed. When you put it that way, maybe I should sign up for rehab. ;)

all i gotta say is look at your map in game and ask yourself "does this look like TF2?" because currently it looks like HL2 or CS:S. and i'm not talking about that fact it's not desert or industrial. the textures look far to real.

Yeah, I'll work on that. They do feel a bit too real still. I was gonna try making the tree branches more like brush strokes for instance.

Vander

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Feb 16, 2008
Pulled straight from the Valve Developer community, link here

"Mixing Game Content
From Valve Developer Community
It is not advisable to mix game content - use weapons/materials/models/maps from different Source games - if you wish to run your work on all players’ machines. This is because there is no guarantee that the person downloading your work has installed all the games required, and so there is no guarantee that your prospective player has all the materials/etc required installed.

If a material is missing, then it will be replaced with a purple and black chequered texture. If a prop model is missing, it will be replaced with the words ERROR displayed as a large red model. Other missing content may cause your work to not run at all. For example, you can not use the M4-A1 Weapon in a Half-Life 2 singleplayer mod because there is no way of ensuring that the people who play your mod also have Counter-Strike: Source installed and fully updated. Players who lack both games' respective files would get an error, and be unable to play your mod.

This is especially important when creating content which will be auto-downloaded from a multiplayer game server, or creating content for existing mods (e.g. a Counter-Strike map). It is, of course, less important when creating a single-player mod, since it will be possible to warn a player ahead of time what the requirements will be for running your mod.

Note: It is not acceptable to extract content from GCF files and redistribute it with your work as a way of getting round this restriction. This violates the Steam EULA."

I'm not bitching about what you are doing, just pointing you to the official word.

Word.

Spacemonkeynz

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 31, 2008
Exactly. I still give credit to valve for the textures. But I dont have a problem modifying them, since its valve's work in a valve product ultimately benefitting, you guessed it, valve. :)

Not really true.

You taking content (i.e textures) from one Valve product, modifying them, then placing them in another valve product.

Basically if someone just owns TF2, then if they download your map, they'll be getting HL2 content which they haven't payed for. Which is why it violates the EULA.

Giving credit is not enough, Valve has specifically said that we are not allowed to do it, and thats final.

Gadget

aa
Mar 10, 2008
is it allowed to mix tf2 textures and include them with a custom map (without taking credit)? this one sentence from the EULA is not very specific about it: "You may use, reproduce and modify the SDK on a non-commercial basis solely to develop a modified game (a "Mod") for Half-Life 2 or other Valve products compatible with and using the Source Engine."

Vander

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Feb 16, 2008
I believe it's referring to mods rather than maps for specific games.

Say I develop a mod that uses assets from both Portal and Ep2. The only people who could play it are people who already own those 2 games. Without both of those games, people can't play my game mod.

Anyway, how about we steer the conversation back to the WIP?

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
why does it haves to be not real?
i liked to see a map thats real in tf2, it may not fits in the game but it also can be a great experience

Snipergen

L13: Stunning Member
Nov 16, 2007
Necro I swear to god if you don't change the theme that fits more with TF2 (cos you got the mapping skills and eye for detail why waste a good map with an awfull style issue) im gonna get someone to do the thing with you that stands on your avatar and you won't be the one on top!

Ace

Feb 15, 2008
Great idea.
Not sure about the look, but I'd love to see a good forest style TF2 map.

Its just making good TF2 grass...I've yet to find it, I just hope that someone will be able to make it, and make it right.

necro

Mar 24, 2008
lol! I sure stirred a hornets nest with this one. Little did I realize how controverial this'd be.

Well, I stylized the grass and gravel textures last night, which I hadnt done yet. Tweaked a bunch of the other textures too. You gotta realize guys, those pics were only 5 days into the map. So the final version will look very different I assure you.

I'm much more concerned with layout and playability. Aesthetics are easy for me. Scale and layout are not. My maps are usually pretty, but not very playable. So I want to get an early beta up for this center portion before I get too far. Maybe tomorrow I'll get something up on my server

MangyCarface

Mapper
aa
Feb 26, 2008
Keep it the way it is, it looks great. There are very few tf2 maps that have realistic textures in them.

There's a reason there are few in this category... It doesn't work.

At this point it's really not disputable whether HL2 textures look normal next to TF2 characters.

Try placing the models in HL2 settings with garry's mod. Doesn't work.

The map does look fantastic, however a simple texture swapout will do worlds for putting this map into a TF2 setting. Because that's as much a part of aesthetics as anything.

But the author has it right, playtesting is more important than aesthetics this early in. Looking forward to playing in on the next gameday, mate, be sure to submit it.

tedrock

L2: Junior Member
Apr 20, 2008
Its just making good TF2 grass...I've yet to find it, I just hope that someone will be able to make it, and make it right.

what's wrong with the tf2 grass that comes with tf2 by default? nature/grass_03

necro

Mar 24, 2008
OK, here are the latest pics. Also, I have the map up on the server, if anyone wants to try it out. I would really appreciate feedback on the layout before I go much further.

Server: 206.251.75.196:27015
Mapname: pl08
Servername: Necropolis Custom Map Server 1

pl080000.jpg

pl080001.jpg

pl080002.jpg

pl080003.jpg

pl080004.jpg

pl080005.jpg