WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

• If you're asking a question make sure to set the thread type to be a question!

Mystic Monkey

L5: Dapper Member
Jan 24, 2011
I ain't dead. Just making a little something festive.
abjrqq.jpg

I doubt I'll get it finished before Christmas though.

Yacan1

D I G I T A L I N F L U E N C E R
aa
Nov 7, 2010
Sorry it's been a while, a lot of schooling related items coming up. I need to touch of a few things first before It's presentable in some form.

DC422D2FE07486D0E809C82A0436D450219EC54B

Red spawn
FAC7ECC15CA3B9D98C378B635206131BA434BEFD

suggestions on how to make Red spawn more "cyber" ? It's becoming increasingly difficult to balance soho,cyber, and tf2 at the same time.

Garuda112

L1: Registered
Sep 4, 2013
Dang, that looks nice. Good job with the lighting yacan. I would recommend ground lighting - strips of red neon lights that line the base of the floor.
ground-light-2.jpg

36723384.jpg

Like these, only the lights would be a strip and surrounded by metal plating (closer to the smaller image's design). Something like that. Location-wise, I would recommend replacing the tile strips (thin ones going to the pillar) with said lights.

Last edited:

evanonline

L420: High Member
Mar 15, 2009
BbrsnwUCcAEcCYt.png:large

Starting to lay down some rudimentary detailing even though I know it's too early. I just...cAN'T HELP MYSELF

Apr 14, 2013
Sorry it's been a while, a lot of schooling related items coming up. I need to touch of a few things first before It's presentable in some form.
(pics)
suggestions on how to make Red spawn more "cyber" ? It's becoming increasingly difficult to balance soho,cyber, and tf2 at the same time.

That looks REALLY good.
As for cyber, if I understood you correctly, then I suggest you use cleaner concrete and cleaner (not rusty) doors.
Also this might help (yes, I know I'm new, but I can still look there...)

Gamemaster1379

Mar 7, 2010
Hey everyone, I've got something that's a bit unusual for this section, I think it'd still go here. I've recently released a custom MvM campaign, History of TF. I released it for mvm_rottenburg, and looked to port it to other existing maps after I improve it a bit from player feedback. However, a lot of people are really saying that a TF2 "museum" MVM map would really compliment the mission well. I'm guessing sort sort of "TF2 history" museum that touches on major updates, much like the mission itself does.

I originally hadn't planned for a map to be associated with the mission, but there seems to be a desire for it, so if anybody wanted to pick up the idea of re-decorating one of their maps, or making one for this mission, I thought I'd throw it out there. It seems like it'd get decent reception. I'd be willing to do all the mission porting work, and maybe even making a few others if need be, if anybody is actually willing to put their time toward something like this.

The mission is still ultimately a WIP, map or no map, but I think that it would be a great addition to the mission, and could work out well for a great map in itself. I can understand if the pitch seems very underwhelming for the time constraints though.

Here's a link to a quick promo video I did from some beta footage, nothing all that fancy, but it shows tidbits

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
THIS IS TURNING INTO A FULL THEME PACK what do I do

Give it to me.

Hey everyone, I've got something that's a bit unusual for this section, I think it'd still go here. I've recently released a custom MvM campaign, History of TF. I released it for mvm_rottenburg, and looked to port it to other existing maps after I improve it a bit from player feedback. However, a lot of people are really saying that a TF2 "museum" MVM map would really compliment the mission well. I'm guessing sort sort of "TF2 history" museum that touches on major updates, much like the mission itself does.

I originally hadn't planned for a map to be associated with the mission, but there seems to be a desire for it, so if anybody wanted to pick up the idea of re-decorating one of their maps, or making one for this mission, I thought I'd throw it out there. It seems like it'd get decent reception. I'd be willing to do all the mission porting work, and maybe even making a few others if need be, if anybody is actually willing to put their time toward something like this.

The mission is still ultimately a WIP, map or no map, but I think that it would be a great addition to the mission, and could work out well for a great map in itself. I can understand if the pitch seems very underwhelming for the time constraints though.

Here's a link to a quick promo video I did from some beta footage, nothing all that fancy, but it shows tidbits

Something I would worry about if your mission is simply taking weapons from different time period in TF2's history is difficulty and balance. Certain periods of time added weapons that were really strong; others added weapons that were really weak. If you're just going through them chronologically, you're going to need to pay special attention to the difficulty curve. And personally, I think 10 waves is far too long, Valve haven't made an 8 Wave mission since Bigrock, 10 is even worse.

Lastly, I know through the magic of editing posts that stevethepocket has taken an interest in mapping for this project, but learning to map yourself is always an option.

Last edited:

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
However, a lot of people are really saying that a TF2 "museum" MVM map would really compliment the mission well. I'm guessing sort sort of "TF2 history" museum that touches on major updates, much like the mission itself does.
I'm already getting ideas. A map that's divided up into setpieces depicting various maps across the history of the game as "famous battles in Mann Co history". Ooh, and maybe the robots would start out as posed figures in the different setpieces and then coming to life and attacking you. (Via dynamic props that are replaced with actual bots as they "log in" to the game.) So each wave would start at a different location, I guess? Kind of like how Mannhattan has two different spawn points.

Assuming all of that is even physically possible, it would be a challenge to cram all of that into one map without it feeling too cramped. I'm excited at the prospect of getting involved in this nonetheless.

Gamemaster1379

Mar 7, 2010
Give it to me.

Something I would worry about if your mission is simply taking weapons from different time period in TF2's history is difficulty and balance. Certain periods of time added weapons that were really strong; others added weapons that were really weak. If you're just going through them chronologically, you're going to need to pay special attention to the difficulty curve. And personally, I think 10 waves is far too long, Valve haven't made an 8 Wave mission since Bigrock, 10 is even worse.

Lastly, I know through the magic of editing posts that stevethepocket has taken an interest in mapping for this project, but learning to map yourself is always an option.

I did take curve into account, and use variable factors such as health values on bosses, wave size, damage bonuses, critical boost, and so on into account to try and accommodate. The first playtest proved successful on that, but further ones will be necessary to determine whether or not I'll need to adjust it further.

Indeed, 10 waves does sound like a lot, but there were minimal complaints regarding it. Some of the waves are inherently shorter than others, given lack of content or just how they were structured. If possible, it could be condensed further if I looked into it, but otherwise, the ten waves wasn't a big issue.

Gamemaster1379

Mar 7, 2010
I'm already getting ideas. A map that's divided up into setpieces depicting various maps across the history of the game as "famous battles in Mann Co history". Ooh, and maybe the robots would start out as posed figures in the different setpieces and then coming to life and attacking you. (Via dynamic props that are replaced with actual bots as they "log in" to the game.) So each wave would start at a different location, I guess? Kind of like how Mannhattan has two different spawn points.

Assuming all of that is even physically possible, it would be a challenge to cram all of that into one map without it feeling too cramped. I'm excited at the prospect of getting involved in this nonetheless.

Sounds like you're getting some interesting ideas going. I'm game for just about whatever, it's your sandbox to do as you wish. Try some things out and let me know how it goes. Additionally, if you are in need of any props, I have a modeler who offered his support to model props for the map. For TF2, he's mostly done hats or miscs, but I've seen his work outside of TF and he's capable of some very astounding moidels, so you may have some flexibility there.

Here's my steam ID if you want to ask me any questions. I'm on mobile all the time because I've got unlimited data. http://steamcommunity.com/id/Gamemaster1379

Edit: And come to think of it, this sounds exactly like a Team Fortress 2 skit. Saxton Hale buys a museum for the history of Mann Co, and he makes it so it has interactive exhibits that try to kill you.

Last edited: