WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

GPuzzle

L9: Fashionable Member
Feb 27, 2012
Detailing with the construction pack on A...
2012-12-30_00001.jpg

2012-12-30_00002.jpg

Compiled with fast VIS and without -staticproplighting so the ibeams are a little wonky.

That looks incredibly awesome.
Also: the area between Upward 3rd and 4th point is composed of wood in mid layers, clean metal and concrete in top layers, and bricks in lower areas.
It kinda makes sense that RED would build an metal area near a bunch of bricks if you study most maps.

Mar 20, 2012
A good deal of the reason you see masonry architecture along with newer, i-beam design in US cities is because of landmark preservation committees, generally established after the middle twentieth century. Before then, buildings were either full masonry, masonry with iron supports (a technique developed in the Industrial Revolution) or moving away from masonry (the European Modernists).

Most of our most famous masonry buildings were destroyed by industrialism and commercial interest, especially post-World War II. The drive for the protection of buildings was greatly fueled by the destruction of great city wonders like Penn. Station in New York City.

Personally, I don't think the brick fits that well on basis that a industry hungry superpower like RED would be focusing on getting their building up quickly with cheap materials than using weighty and time-consuming brick. That's why wood, sheet metal and concrete are popular materials in the TF2 universe.

Is there a fast and hard rule? Absolutely not. Use brick if you want. I highly doubt anyone is going to stop you in-game and complain about it. It's only a foundation, anyways.

Last edited:

Yacan1

D I G I T A L I N F L U E N C E R
aa
Nov 7, 2010
I wish TF2 contained more ideals of American exceptionalism or monolithic art deco. Considering the majority of deco work was done 20's - 40's, TF2 might have the capability of older architecture that still keeps the artsy and colorful theme of the game overall.
The current contrasting styles are great yeah, it's just that when a map is koth, ctf, or 5 cp, you sort of need to divide building and color styles while keeping the same concept in the name of gameplay's sake. But whenever it's payload, or 2cp, the options for creating a refreshing color palette and theme are much broader. (I.e. barnblitz, gorge)
Example of American exceptionalism in the 1893 Chicago World's fair:
S03i2152l01.jpg

Example of colorful art deco in south beach Miami:
4932221-Art_Deco_architecture_colours_of_South_Beach_Miami_Beach.jpg

Janeator

L2: Junior Member
Dec 12, 2012
That looks more like a CS map to me, Aly. But still, looking great.
About PDT's, it feels completly right to me to use those red bricks while using beams.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
It's beautiful

Edit: tried to delete this because it would be faster than editing in a quote, and this is what the Tapatalk Beta showed me

v5Kla.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Janeator

L2: Junior Member
Dec 12, 2012
naaah rather the other town map by that dude but with grey/blue roofs
[blah blah blah original quote cuz i jumped page:

lemme guess:

mvm_dust
]

T

The Asylum

Yesssss..... give into your anger. Strike me down with all of your hate, and your jouney to the Dark Side will be complete!

palpatine.jpg

*ahem*

Extremely early progress on the new SD Melee Fort, mangling an early version of CTF Melee Fort

sdmeleefortv2.jpg

T

The Asylum

Those are leftovers from the CTF Melee Fort base that I'm mutilating to retrofit the SD gametype into. In some other builds, the teams have their own mini-stage inside the other team's courtyard

cpmeleeforta11abots0002.jpg

cpmeleeforta11abots0001.jpg

I know the hammer screenshot looks really good but it isn't a finished product yet ;)