WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
No idea where it came from but hey it's in my models folder.

Here are some actual WIP shots, working on lighting currently and trying to make this building more interesting without just cramming a million props in:

oMIg8.jpg

IwxBG.jpg

IkDJI.jpg

The white thing on the right of the last screenshot is a water drip.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
That's a pretty heavy metal door for accessing a place that's enclosed in a chicken wire.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Same guiding principle behind using the TOP SECRET door for a room you can see into. (It also does not seem that heavy to me? idk)

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Same guiding principle behind using the TOP SECRET door for a room you can see into. (It also does not seem that heavy to me? idk)

Being able to see in there is fine by me, the issue I have with it is that metal doors tend to be pretty heavy, and it just doesn't look like it would be supported by the flimsy chicken wire, and probably not that strong wood on the bottom half alone. Maybe split the area in half vertically and have a full wooden wall or just use a less heavy looking door idk.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
You may want to think about and/or keep an eye on the number of light props you put into the map.

I've been going through that with stoneyridge, putting lamps everywhere I needed light until I realized one day (I think someone pointed it out to me) that there was zillions of light bulbs all over the place and it was getting cluttered.

Ghost lights are kind of a cheat, but they work well on night maps.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
You may want to think about and/or keep an eye on the number of light props you put into the map.

I've been going through that with stoneyridge, putting lamps everywhere I needed light until I realized one day (I think someone pointed it out to me) that there was zillions of light bulbs all over the place and it was getting cluttered.

Ghost lights are kind of a cheat, but they work well on night maps.

In his case I would recommend just changing the lights. Phantom lighting works better for cases where it's really hard to justify a light source but not hard to believe the area would be lit as much as you light it.

Does that make sense?

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
In his case I would recommend just changing the lights. Phantom lighting works better for cases where it's really hard to justify a light source but not hard to believe the area would be lit as much as you light it.

Does that make sense?

Yes, but the light fixtures themselves are quite bright and night maps by necessity need a lot of lights added. It seems to get out of hand fast if you don't watch out for it ahead of time.