WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Jess 90

L1: Registered
Nov 4, 2011
Well I'm finally getting around to making my first ever map. I don't have any experience in hammer at all over a few hours so i'm not making maps for people to play i'm learning as i go along :D

2eupjz7.png

My map plan is for red to have a villian lair inside of a volcano with the point in the middle underneith a mass of tv's and computers all comic styley (Sorta like the original glados too)
gonna be hard for me to do and even then it'll probably just look like nucleus ha! Picture is the rough draft of the villians conference room (map is a placeholder for the tv)

Yes i know it sucks :p

TheKieranator

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 6, 2011
Yes i know it sucks :p

Sucks? I would say that is a solid effort. Most beginners (I'm probably guilty of this too :O) get the scale completely wrong and make the geometry far too big. I like what you have and encourage you to keep working. After all, not enough maps have volcanos and/or lava.

Jess 90

Nov 4, 2011
Thanks ^_^

The lava may be on hold though as i can only find one texture that works and it's HORRIBLE. the one on this website looks like lava only when you get right up to it (otherwise it changes to a repeating texture of the loading screen map) and the rest are just checkerboard (not sure if i have to do something more then add them to the mat folder)

29xjk3b.jpg

Ignore everything else, and you can see my problem :(

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2009
the onion bulb rock?

re1wind

aa
Aug 12, 2009
*spam*

Green is the brush model exported from hammer.

Rock_unique_01_03.jpg

Rock_unique_01_04.jpg

Rock_unique_01_05.jpg

some physical labour work now, prop model later.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Be careful with your rock designs, The TF2 ones may look reserved and simple but it makes sense if you consider players don't get stuck on them. Many custom rocks cause gameplay problems because the author was a little too experimental with the shapes.

I've noticed this in Rexy's zinkenite map as well, you'll probably have to do some over zealous clipping or have an unrealisticly abstract collision mesh (unrecommended).

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
Thanks ^_^

The lava may be on hold though as i can only find one texture that works and it's HORRIBLE. the one on this website looks like lava only when you get right up to it (otherwise it changes to a repeating texture of the loading screen map) and the rest are just checkerboard (not sure if i have to do something more then add them to the mat folder)

-snip-

Ignore everything else, and you can see my problem :(

I actually can't see your problem. Okrag thinks you have a leak into the void, hence the repeating loading screen thing. That's probably correct.

Jess 90

Nov 4, 2011
I actually can't see your problem. Okrag thinks you have a leak into the void, hence the repeating loading screen thing. That's probably correct.

The pic was actually just a pic of the bad texture.. it's static and doesn't glow. I'll try and get a pic up of the one i have a problem with (i think it was the tachyon one (sp?) (I don't think i have a leak as the pointfile tool doesn't generate a file for me)

edit: well i will when vvis lets me compile and doesn't just crash my whole comp :L

edit: well the texture doesn't show up at all now, but i do get this error in the compile
error: material TACHYON/LAVA001 doesn't have a $bottommaterial - I don't really know what that means but i did copy all the files from the rar into my mat folder :S

Last edited:
Jan 8, 2011
Say, what ever happened to that art-deco PL map? I forget who was making it, but I was looking forward to it.

Jess 90

Nov 4, 2011
I don't have a clue what i'm doing anymore xD I think i went a little ambitious but i shall presevere for the sake of knowledge

Still barely rough but i added some details as i got bored of looking at blocks.
14vtlau.jpg

That overhead shot may look like most mappers worst nightmares xD

est5zp.jpg

I have no clue how to texture circles and curved shapes so i'm dreading that part.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well it might look like a mappers worst nightmare if we could see what was going on! It's dark as hell! Also you're worrying too much about texturing a circle, just use a texture that doesn't obviously repeat too much, like the ibeam texture which you appear to already be using.

Jess 90

Nov 4, 2011
Well it might look like a mappers worst nightmare if we could see what was going on! It's dark as hell! Also you're worrying too much about texturing a circle, just use a texture that doesn't obviously repeat too much, like the ibeam texture which you appear to already be using.

Sorry bout that. I only have a few guide lights dotted around to avoid fullbright. I'm of the understanding proper lighting is the last step

Jan 8, 2011

Do we even want to know what those path_tracks are for?

EDIT: Upon further investigation, you appear to be making a haunted tree to roam the center of your map, striking fear into the hearts of players.