WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by Arhurt, Aug 28, 2008.

1. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    You can also use r_drawviewmodel 0

2. Vander

Vander L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I always use these 4:

sv_cheats 1
    cl_drawhud 0
    r_drawviewmodel 0
    noclip

And yes, gotta agree with Youme. What you have so far looks really nice!

3. xxack

xxack L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I actually decided to make a map, or at least try.
    I spent some homework time making concept art, and overall it doesnt seem too difficult for a beginner like me, aside from all the entities and visleafs and stuff.

I wanted to ask questions but not start a whole new thread, so here I am.
    But anyway;

cp_cabin_fever
    !!!

I don't have a back story yet. I have a new respect for creative writers. :unsure:
    Anyway, basically its a 3 cp map, with each cp being a different type of cabin. Sketch work (sloppy, I know):
    [​IMG]

The biggest obstacles are the actual cabins. I have no idea how to make them. :[
    I tried modeling them but I figured I could brush them, and this is what I have for the first CP:
    [​IMG]

As for the 6 in a circle, I've been messing with a few concepts, but only one screenshot'd:
    [​IMG]

There's been about 4 hours of work into this map. I started one but it kept crashing so I started over with a tiny land making cabins.

Anyone have any tips on how to make these cabins?

Improvements on the cabin or the layout of the map? I already know the lights are wrong and the textures are messed up, but other than that...

4. Shaar

Shaar L3: Junior Member<BR>toboruin

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

Just an overview and what I plan to add to my dmo_valley map.

Probably gonna need a lot of help making the buildings TF2 like.

5. Gadget

aa Gadget

Positive Ratings:
    here's a very early screenshot:

[​IMG]

I'm going to open a seperate thread some time soon...

6. Shmitz

aa Shmitz Old Hat

Positive Ratings:
    I like the use of elevation. Also, if you think the stucco or roof tile materials from cp_roswell would be of any use to you, I can supply you with those.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    I haven't got any screens to show yet, but here's an overview of my upcoming Dustbowl-type map, cp_vulture:

[​IMG]

Stage 1 and 3 will largely be set in nature, without the disturbance of more buildings than necessary, but stage 2 is kind of heavy on the buildings to break things up a bit. It's the only stage for which the planning is almost finished. (But if someone wants to provide feedback - hopefully you can understand the overview - that would be awesome)

Also: Yay, 500 posts!

8. Gadget

aa Gadget

Positive Ratings:
    Thanks, I'll get in contact with you on that when I'm at the point of doing the roofs and materials.

Layout is looking good, BreadHeadFred. The only thing I noticed is the bottleneck in the middle (light grey) that might become a problem.

9. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah, there should probably be a small alternate path there, it does look a bit cramped.

10. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Superbump :thumbup1:
    [​IMG]
    Point A from a gravelpit style map...

11. Chilly

Chilly L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Yay, Youme. :) Going to be in the desert style? I'd love to see you push the envelope with some other style, like alpine or one you came up with. I know alpine doesn't have much to work with, but it might make for a good challenge. ;)

12. Chilly

Positive Ratings:
    Make sure you check the "resize" option when uploading to imageshack. Those pictures are HUGE (ie slow loading + horizontal scroll until they all load). :)

13. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    Desert (badlands in particular):
    [​IMG]

Alpine:
    [​IMG]

A straight swap to the alpine one tells me one thing: yuck!

14. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    The lighting is bawlz but you should definitely stick with the grass texture.

15. Villain

Villain L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    This is my first post here. I've got a map I've been working with on and off for a while now. Its also the first map I've actually made with the intention of releasing it.

The map will have 5 control points. I'm making the map backwards so points 5, 4, and 3 are finished; and point 2 is just getting started. At game start, Blue will spawn at blue base and red will spawn near point 3, once blue caps point 2 it will bump red back to red base (point 5). once blue caps point 3 blue will spawn there.

I haven't gotten around to adding details like wall decals and grass yet but its coming. I'll also be working on making the cliff walls look more natural and fixing up the skybox so its not bloom-death.

Also any ideas for a name would be great, I'm terrible at thinking up names.

This shot is near where point 2 is going to be once I make it.
    [​IMG]

Shot from a warehouse between points 2 and 3
    [​IMG]

Shot from the bottom of the point 3 room
    [​IMG]

Shot from the top of the point 3 room
    [​IMG]

Shot from near point 4
    [​IMG]

Also near point 4
    [​IMG]

Shot of red base (also point 5)
    [​IMG]

Inside of red base (also point 5)
    [​IMG]

16. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    Youme: It looks as great as ever (the Badlands-y one anyway :p), I'm just wondering...how many maps do you have going now? I know you've been showing off a tc map and an arena map as well, not to long ago - that's a lot of maps to be juggling at one.

Villain: The second pic caught my eye. That's a TON of containers right there! Remember that areas based largely around boxes/containers get really boring really fast, not to mention that will probably be a bit unfriendly on slower computers.

I think I've got a good layout for cp_vulture's final stage now, I just don't have time to make a version to show off right now. I'll probably post it here as soon as I can (if I actually remember).

17. Chilly

Positive Ratings:
    Youme... I don't think it's completely awful as alpine. I think there's too much dirt and too little grass in your displacements, plus the slopes would have to be done slightly different in alpine. However, I think by changing the rock and adding trees and other details it would actually look pretty nice.

18. YM

aa YM LVL100 YM

Positive Ratings:
    This is the tc map being reworked, it was put on permanant hold fo halfacre and has been picked up again, albeit very much reworked(as in started again completely) The arena one was scrapped since my interest in arena fell off pretty exponentially. Bloodstained was finalised and station was abandoned due to my skill level progressing faster than the map could keep up with. That puts the current active map count at two, halfacre and hoodoo. This new one doesn't exist yet because I could stop in a week or so and decide not to do it, hence the rather large bump of this thread.
    Since its been reworked so much I might have to find a new name too, which means the only thing the same is a few basic concepts....

You already know my position on the alpine content, there isn't enough of it to flesh out a full map and not have it reek of lumberyard. You also know I vastly prefer the desert industrial theme.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  19. Sgt Frag

Sgt Frag L14: Epic Member

Positive Ratings:
    henry17,

looks great. Love the details like the arch (well done) and the rope bridge.

However that blob like tree thing on top of the dam looks odd and out of place. That would be a resevior of water up there so probably no close details would be seen. (not to mention it is just a real ugly tree ;) )

20. Spike

Spike L10: Glamorous Member

Positive Ratings: