WiP in WiP, post your screenshots!

Sep 1, 2009
He has always been purple, just in the movies he is always covered in space fluff.

TheKieranator

L6: Sharp Member
Mar 6, 2011
The one on the left is probably some haunted tool.
The one in the middle is obviously Silas Mann, or 'The Horseless Headless Horsmann.'
The one on the right is that thing in your avatar, which to me looks like some sort of Zepheniah Mann scarecrow, complete with gibus.

Last edited:

Telephis

L1: Registered
Apr 1, 2009
Hey, I guess this is the place to post my WIP! I'm having a bit of trouble getting it to 'feel' like a TF2 map, but all in all it's going well and is quite fun. This is the first time I have tried my hand at texturing something other than orange and grey, and my first real attempt at a good / playable map. Let me know what you think or if you have any tips.

I have a whole bunch of screenshots in my steam profile, I tried linking them here but they were huuuuge in the thread, hope you don't mind following this link:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/telephis/screenshot/596951145275099563

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Not that bad,

Your vertical scaling is too large though, try and go through and scrunch down the drop downs you have and the ramps (etc).

Also, the area around the buildings looks dull, from what i can tell you have some nice geometry, so try and spread that to the outer rings.

If you don't want to use actual textures yet (And I suggest you don't) ... use the red/blu or greyscale 128x128 dev textures.

Telephis

Apr 1, 2009
Not that bad,

Your vertical scaling is too large though, try and go through and scrunch down the drop downs you have and the ramps (etc).

Also, the area around the buildings looks dull, from what i can tell you have some nice geometry, so try and spread that to the outer rings.

If you don't want to use actual textures yet (And I suggest you don't) ... use the red/blu or greyscale 128x128 dev textures.

Thanks, I have started scaling it down and it already is looking better! When do you recommend texturing? I find it hard to navigate and get a sense of the map if it's textured with only 2 colors while having lots of geometry. Is there some sort of guide to texturing / which dev textures to use / scaling perhaps?

soylent robot

L420: High Member
May 26, 2009
Thanks, I have started scaling it down and it already is looking better! When do you recommend texturing? I find it hard to navigate and get a sense of the map if it's textured with only 2 colors while having lots of geometry. Is there some sort of guide to texturing / which dev textures to use / scaling perhaps?

arrow decals! use these to help players get around your map easily. just use the decal tool and one of the arrows (search for "arrow" in the texture thingy) and just click on a wall in the 3d view to stick one down

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010

There is a guide, look it our tutorials section (can't dig it out atm)... But you want to start texturing when the maps gameplay is pretty much solid. Getting to this point can take a while though. This being said, doing a liiiiiitle detailing here and there is okay, but you want to refrain from heavy detailing this AFTER gameplay is okay.

arrow decals! use these to help players get around your map easily. just use the decal tool and one of the arrows (search for "arrow" in the texture thingy) and just click on a wall in the 3d view to stick one down

Don't use decals, use overlays :)overlaytool:) ... overlays allow for size variation, etc.

Telephis

Apr 1, 2009
Hey I'm back with another WIP, taking what I learned from my previous map and doing a simple KOTH style with the dev textures.
here is an overview:
11D79DC70C993845B445F0C0F65E2C574D03FCCA

547D764318C35EED338444DAD755663D0033C2A8

17B65013D176795907D1A8149CFDEA15DAF2F011

with a few more shots here:
http://steamcommunity.com/id/telephis/screenshot/595825477960686728/?tab=public

Is this the best place to get WIP feedback or is it more of a showcase thing?
Also, I seem to have map A.D.D, this is usually about as far as I get before starting a new map...Trying to fix that.

Last edited:

Crash

func_nerd
aa
Mar 1, 2010
I would suggestion doing rotational symmetry vs. mirrored as one side will have a slight advantage due to how the weapons shoot from the model (slightly to the right.) As well as everything will always feel "backwards" when switching teams around. It'll be harder to learn.

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Telephis, that looks horribly overscaled...

On a side note: I got bored today.

I wanted to try and see if I could do a basic (half) of a layout that didn't involve structures for gameplay (of course, barring spawns)... So here is half of "koth_meteorite_canyon" ... You will probably never see it again. (yes, that is a 2 tiered capture point)

koth_meteor_crater_a00001.jpg

koth_meteor_crater_a00002.jpg

koth_meteor_crater_a00003.jpg

koth_meteor_crater_a00004.jpg

As you can see, it is not very exciting, though the canyon transitions between spawn and the point I enjoy the most.

Telephis

Apr 1, 2009
Thanks for the feedback, I was wondering about the symmetry myself...
overscaled, as in the brushes are too tall / wide? I tried using ones much smaller than my last map, guess I have to go smaller...

Fruity Snacks

aa
Sep 5, 2010
Thanks for the feedback, I was wondering about the symmetry myself...
overscaled, as in the brushes are too tall / wide? I tried using ones much smaller than my last map, guess I have to go smaller...

Too wide and thick.

use a static prop of the heavy (search heavy.mdl) and base your scaling off that.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
That roof texture in the last screenshot :d