[WIP] cp_roswell

fartron

L1: Registered
Jan 27, 2008
The red spawn room looks like the hostage shack in cs_compound; was that an inspiration?

I really like the manor building, are you studying photos of villas and haciendas? If that one part by the cp became a little more like cloisters I think it might be more interesting. But it could throw your balance off, so don't take my word for it. I think the feed storage looks a little bit too boxy at the moment. Good detailing, but it feels too much like a box in a box from the shots.. I'd break up the flow a little bit more, either with obstacles, or side routes or something.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I'm not a CS player, so no, any similarity with the red spawn room is coincidental.

I am using reference images for the manor, but they come from a variety of different sources. Unfortunately the majority of them are probably more recent architecture than mid-20th century, so I am a little worried that I am making the interior too modern.

I'm not sure what you mean by "box in a box" though. Could you explain?

crazychicken

L2: Junior Member
Feb 14, 2008
Looks good dude, goign off screens, maybe add stuff to wall shading/props to make them less plain and formative. looks nice map, will definitely play it.

fartron

L1: Registered
Jan 27, 2008
I take back the box comment, it just looked that way in the screenshots. After playing it, I like it a lot. I do think the manor needs some work, including that big blank wall by A. B looks great, but the approaches seem long to me. Probably just taste, and I'd defer to the results of play testing it.

I made a shot at C, and drew arrows since my comments were more specific.

Noggin

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 17, 2007
Played this last night, got incredibly lost in the buildings.

Spaceship model is really cool tho with the damage and inside.

flubber

L4: Comfortable Member
Nov 16, 2007
Hi,
I made a map test session yesterday for our servers, and people loved roswell (100% vote @ 24 players) since studio and switchback frome our previous maptest sessions we didn't have those score, kudos. It's now part of our mapcycle. thx for the good work.

Crimson

L3: Member
Nov 25, 2007
Looks amazing. I really need to upload this to my servers. I tend to not run beta maps, especially in rotation, but I might have to make an exception lol.

MacNetron

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 12, 2007
I had the opportunity to try it on gameday a couple of hours before all mayhem, so I had the time to notice that inside the 'weather balloon', my framerate drops radically.
Having a 8800GTX, it easily displays 60fps (capped due to the wait for vsync). It dropped to around 40 fps. Is the inside so complex that it has this effect?
I have to add that all other graphic options are set quite high (like 4x AA).

I DO like the map though. Small map, but loads of alternative routes.

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
I've noticed something similar, but from everything showbudget tells me there is absolutely nothing that should be impacting performance in there.

However, I've noticed a similar anomaly with the shiny brewing vat model of Valve's. If I get really close to it, my framerate drops for no explicable reason.

If you set mat_specular to 0, do you still take a performance hit?

WarMecha

L2: Junior Member
Feb 10, 2008
Try turning on wireframe to see what the engine is actually rendering, also worth looking at what the visleafs are doing here with glview and stick in the relevant hints?

Shmitz

Old Hat
aa
Nov 12, 2007
Try turning on wireframe to see what the engine is actually rendering, also worth looking at what the visleafs are doing here with glview and stick in the relevant hints?

Yeah, I've tested all that; I use mat_wireframe much more religiously than +showbudget. Nothing is being drawn that shouldn't be.

I'd like some way of finding out how widespread this issue is, since it also occurs with some Valve models for me. Is it a problem with the model that I can fix, or is it a graphics card/driver compatibility issue?

Koei

L4: Comfortable Member
Feb 23, 2008
People thought the UFO was a bit closed down? I don't know what they ment with that specifically (I just left the server minutes before), but maybe you'll know. If not, I'll ask what they ment :)