WIP - cp_Amsterdam coming soon

AWESOME-O

L10: Glamorous Member
Mar 20, 2008
photoreferencepc8.jpg

SLiD3 & Maus

Heh, know this place, been there (Tja, ik kom uit almere :)

ziet er erg goed uit.
Heel mischien een rood lampje winkel erin? :D

Dox

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 26, 2007
Just looking at your level of detail makes me ashamed to call myself a mapper... Nice Work!

Haas

L1: Registered
Aug 26, 2008
Vet man als je nu nog een dronken demo op de grond legt met zijn fles dan is het helemaal perfect.

Lastig

Jul 22, 2008
Lolz1337: Hahaha, we tried a number of things, but we ran into some trouble with red colored lighting and team visibility :laugh: , but yeah it's based on the damrak (loosely).
Dox: Gracias, always encouraging to hear that!
Haas: If i had a few more hours that would have actually been his postcard :thumbup:

So with a last week of frantic tweaking we're now about 12 hours away from the beta1 release. Pyro seems excited
tf2cpapostcard9sc9.jpg

PMAvers

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 29, 2008
So with a last week of frantic tweaking we're now about 12 hours away from the beta1 release. Pyro seems excited

I know I am! It's looking damn spiffy. Going to try to throw it up on my server ASAP.

Cerious

L420: High Member
Aug 10, 2008
Alright, I just had a run through it. Blu has no problem with it, as the arrows are perfectly placed. However, on RED, it is a little confusing to get around the first time, because the arrows point back to the scond point. Put some more signs for RED so they don't waste setup looking for the first point.

I noticed it was only one stage, I was a little dissapointed, but it looks wonderful. Good job. I had no problems with it, other than that there were pretty much no ammo packs. Add some more, everywhere. If you only have around 2 packs by the first point, something is wrong. Put them by health packs, as it makes it easier to find.

Cerious

Aug 10, 2008
I've also found a pretty huge bug. If red wins, teams don't switch.

Please, make a v2 that fixes this. This map is pretty much unplayable for now because of it.

Dec 25, 2007
Teams not switching makes a map unplayable?:rolleyes:

Firstly -- this map is looking awesome. Apart from some awesome brushwork, your custom materials and models are top notch, if a little too comedic for my tastes (the duck and the fish particularly). The hallways are all well sized and well lit, and the layout provides plenty of connectivity without being too confusing (note that I've only ran around it quite briefly, not played on it). And the detail work is both imaginitive and artistically placed. I love the wrecking ball!

However, I think you need to focus your work for beta 2 on optimising the map. The layout has lots of small passages and 90 degree or 180 degree corners, so should be pretty easy to optimise. But the rooftop at the moment needs work; while standing on the rooftop, it was rendering the entire outside (with the trams), as well as the CP, even though neither was in view; and my FPS had dropped to 60-70, rather than the normal 140-150. Some suitable hinting and areaportals would help a lot with this. I would start by making sure the false fronts of the buildings are world brushes up as far as they can be before the fancy tops start, and put a horizontal hint brush at that height; this should stop the street from being rendered from the rooftop and vice versa.

Also, there's one area in the skybox (red roofs with a red billboard) that is only visible from a very small area of the map (through the windows in one stairwell, and possibly the room beside it). That should be changed into a world room just outside the stairwell; there's no need to render it all the time when you can't see it from the rest of the map.

Last edited:

Cerious

Aug 10, 2008
If defense doesn't completely suck and/or offense just can't push through, you could basically see the same thing happening over and over again, making players want to play it less. Think about it, you think the same group of players enjoy doing defense over and over again? Most players will just avoid the map.

EDIT: I've been demojumping a bunch in this map as well. There are a few areas you can get to with one sticky. that weren't intended.

1. On top of the blu crane in the second point. It allows defenders to shoot over in front of the blu doors without fear.
2. Above the blu door into the street. While you can jump onto the blu siren in front, there is an invisible perch as well above.

These allow for some serious exploits. I'm looking for more, as generally with two stickies you can get to hard to reach places, but you have so little life that you might as well not bother. 1 sticky gives demos really unfair advantages.

Last edited:

Chilly

L6: Sharp Member
May 3, 2008
When a player exits the BLU spawn via the sewer, the door raises through the street above next to the tires. I'll also agree with the other comments about the map needing clearer signs. You guys did a great job detailing the map... would love to see this eventually turn into a multistage A/D map.

Spikespiegel

Sep 4, 2008
As I told you yesterday on the warserver, the flair for details you've had when making this map is stunning. To mention a few:
Joint-smoking duck
Bob Marley
Grafitti
The "Scoreboard" by the sniper spot and
The transitions between textures.

Ofcourse, there are improvements to be made namely:
The skybox (As Lim put it: Let some cardboard boats rock around in the water).
I would love to see the "roof" of the skybox outside BLU spawn lowered, as demoman can jump up high enough to see that the buildings are in fact "Papmaché walls".
For some reason, I do not think that the railroad (with booms) and road are done in the same high quality as the rest of the map.

Gameplay wise, I would love the following improvements:
A faster way for RED to get to point 1 (a path that should close when point 1 is lost to BLU).
I would also like for red to get access to the whole roof above point 2 (but I can see the complications with the skybox).
If it should remain as a single-stage A/D CP map, maybe it would be an idea to add a third capture point, possibly right in front of the RED spawn, with lowered respawn times for RED when point 2 is lost (Let's face it, the last point might be a bit too easy to take as it is, for a last point. But I will have to see Server 5 full, playing this map before I can say for sure ;)

Last edited:

Noggin

L5: Dapper Member
Nov 17, 2007
One of the best customs Ive seen, up there with Meridian and fastlane (imho).

For the most part the style is great but as someone said a couple of things are a tad cartoony, the tram for instance.

I think with a couple more stages Valve would pick this up.

Keep up the standard setting work!

Forthex

L2: Junior Member
Aug 2, 2008
The kitchen area blew my mind! The fish in the water cool, menu, vending machines (and the logo beside them), stove, fridge look absolutely amazing!

I was disappointed when I realized this wasn't a dustbowl style map...

Please add more!

Oh, my only other gripe is that the tram looked way to cartoony. If I saw it without any environmental context I would think it was an RC toy.