[WIP] arena_nightshift

Discussion in 'WIP (Work in Progress)' started by Hurtz, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Hurtz

Hurtz L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Edit: Beta 1 Released!
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/maps/65072

Well this is the map I have been working on for a while now, originally a control point map that I started a while back, but basically lost interest, then had a bit more incentive once the heavy update arrived with new content to use, and the map layout itself seemed to be a lot better suited for arena mode.

It's basically almost done and will probably be releasing a beta download very soon, but in the meantime... screenshots!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  2. Snipergen

Snipergen L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    Looks really good man. A shame that you've chosen to make this a night map. The reason why night maps don't really work and why valve didn't make a nightmap yet is because you can't see if a player is on your team or not, and its quite hard to see what class you're battling against.

3. 00000000000000000000000

00000000000000000000000 L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think this is the best looking night map I've seen. There are lots of lights everywhere Snipergen and the overall lighting isn't too dark.

4. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    probably a good idea to use more point lights, instead of default ones. Also in your third from bottom image, you might want to not use the hanging lights, but the ones without the poles.

The alpha painting seems rather random, but this isn't really a problem, just an aesthetic that could be improved.

General construction is good. At the top of those stairs, the brown and blue ones, the brush made fence could probably be removed. It adds free movement for vertical combat and the fences just don't look that nice.

Your 5th image has too many windows i think, at the top there. Increase their spacing, have maby 3 or 5 columns rather than 5.

6th image at the top, there is a thin wall with a lit window and extending roof, is this something you've over looked? It looks strange.

The hazard stripping on your cp could be alligned. Select the neighbouring texture and alt+right click the one you want alligned to apply an alligned texture.

You could possibly improve the brick walls on the outside of those buildings by making them less flat somehow, use you imagination, i had a suggestion but it'd be hard to explain and at the stage you're at you probably wouldn't want to implement that idea anyway.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Hurtz

Positive Ratings:
    Well I've only recently changed it to the night time setting, and haven't really played it much since, but its still fairly well lit and the main combat area, i.e around the control point is a lot brighter than outside.

Easy enough to change back if it does seem to be a problem, although the name wont make any sense anymore :)

Ah, yeah I hadn't noticed that, I think thats some skyboxing/bsp error that needs fixing.

6. Inqwel

Inqwel L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd really like to see an overhead shot of the layout. Otherwise, to me, the map doesn't look that dark (twilight, anyone?) However, I do believe that this map might give the spy a little more advantage, but I do not know as of yet.

7. luxatile

aa luxatile deer

Positive Ratings:
    I think the night theme is complete fine, it gives the map a look that's hard to forget. The screens look great, so I'm looking forward to the beta.

8. Dan2025

Dan2025 L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    Being a noob at everything this entire form is about, I can't really contribute to the conversation much, but I must say that this map is visually stunning in every way.

9. MangyCarface

aa MangyCarface Mapper

Positive Ratings:
    Light_environment settings?

10. Hurtz

Positive Ratings:
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2008
  11. Hurtz

Positive Ratings:
    Updated first post, with download links! Comments welcome etc..

12. Cerious

Cerious L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Alright, so I tried it. Looks great, and I assume it should play really well. Best night map I've seen. One of the logs can be clipped through, and there are no big ammo packs. Place one near the spawn, for engineers to set up without having to run around and scavenge for it in fighting areas.

13. Jazz

Jazz L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I tried it too (can't be arsed to copy paste my review from FPSB so just read it there :p). Thanks for the light_environment settings!