Why we can't save Replays in listen servers?

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Yeah this has also always bugged me, hopefully someone will know.

Are you a modder by any chance trying to fix this? :p

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
Use hldsupdatetool, problem solved.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Well mostly it's because you need several config files running to control where the replays are saved and how (ftp/html) and where to download them from (which webhost for FTP).

Listen servers run a single config for a local game. So none of that works.

Apparently you can pseudo-hack it but if it comes to it, depending what you need Replay for, you could just temporarily run a HLDS on your machine and setup the necassery configs for that.

IndoPr0

L1: Registered
Jul 31, 2011
Yeah this has also always bugged me, hopefully someone will know.

Are you a modder by any chance trying to fix this? :p

Nope. I'm not a modder.

Well mostly it's because you need several config files running to control where the replays are saved and how (ftp/html) and where to download them from (which webhost for FTP).

Listen servers run a single config for a local game. So none of that works.

Apparently you can pseudo-hack it but if it comes to it, depending what you need Replay for, you could just temporarily run a HLDS on your machine and setup the necassery configs for that.

Do you mean running HLDS and TF2 at the same time?
BTW that's the answer i would expect. Thanks!

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I'd recommend running it on a seperate machine if you can, like if another family member has a machine, run HLDS on that and connect via your machine.

Running a server from your machine takes a lot of system resources and connecting to it from the same machine will certainly have its fair share of performance issues.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
I'd recommend running it on a seperate machine if you can, like if another family member has a machine, run HLDS on that and connect via your machine.

Running a server from your machine takes a lot of system resources and connecting to it from the same machine will certainly have its fair share of performance issues.

i've ran dedicated server on my laptop that i was connected to. had 0 problems even while having me, tech, steffo, some random f2p, 20 bots, sv_cheats 1 and tachyon logic on there :p

Jeremy

L11: Posh Member
Oct 24, 2010
It depends on the amount of memory on your computer. For instance, a friend of mine can run a listen server with up to 15 bots without any noticeable decrease in framerate, whereas I can't have a server with more than 7 because then my framerate goes all horrible, and dedicated servers just lag.