Votes: 19 24.4%
  • 10th-13th March

Votes: 22 28.2%

• Total voters

Fantaboi

Gone and one day forgotten
aa
Mar 11, 2013
My entire point was that I was capable of making a map that eventually got accepted into the game in 10 hours, last second rushed for a 72hr jam. There are mappers and content creators out there better than me that are not part of our community. Demanding they come in and spend at least two days here or their content doesn't count is arbitrary and not actually any sort of metric of quality. Time does not equal quality.

I'll knowingly shift the goalposts and argue that for a 72hr jam, we should only reward people that put in effort as opposed to produce quality. Since this isn't a contest with judging why should quality still remain as a metric?

if the goal is to attract people to this community with skills and ability (better than yours) I doubt having to put in work at least two days will cause them to not want to stay or participate. Having more than one day gives at least time to get to know the community and become apart of it as opposed to "Enterchat" "!maps" "leave." Having people be subjectively judged could act as a deterrent for people who worry they can't produce something worthy instead, whilst the system I propose is objectively clear on its demands.

Furthermore participation itself wouldn't be "banned" but qualifying for a medal will have a strong sense of consistency. If content creators want to participate they can and be a part of it, but without receiving a medal at the end.

I also fail to see anyone producing something in a day as someone who stays for more than a day.

I've pretty much made all my points so i'm just going to leave it at that.

Moth

L2: Junior Member
Jul 3, 2016
We know we want to have some kind of low-key quality filter this time, so 20-second MS Paint drawings don't get a medal.

Did people really make 20s MS paint doodle to get a medal, and you had to give it to them because that was the rules last time? Just...wow.

It's tough though, like I imagine a lot of theses are younger obviously, and as it was said before an agressive quality control system could really, well, hurt their feelings, if what we consider terrible and not reward worthy is actually something they're proud of and put effort into.

I think the divide is between the context of this site and the nature of the jam. There's just 2 ways to be creative that collide : dedication to making good quality level design through contests, criticism and quality control, vs releasing anything tf2 related in a cool community event. A different context like the workshop allows anything to be posted, so this issue doesn't exist and we don't need to find a system to curate what's acceptable participation to the jam or not.
I think it'd be super sad to not have a medal this time so here's my ideas.

-No curation, but on the main post, say explicitely "Make something you'll be proud of, don't just submit to get the reward, that's not fair to the spirit of the event."
-Everybody gets the normal jam medal, but a few artwork in every medium are picked to get a higher quality medal and make it to the showcase (silver vs gold for instance).

With that second idea, maybe instead of giving a medal, people receive a card, a pin for participating, and only the best get a medal. Though you get the contest aspect back, there's then a real incentive to truely participate and do your best. The medal won't be worthless because any sumbission won't get it, only the best will, and the pin would still be a proof you took the time to participate.

I don't think removing the worthless sumbmissions is a good idea because it requires tracing a line between "non acceptable" and "acceptable" submissions. Plus there's so many mediums, like I don't do sfm, how could I judge what's a good sfm or bad sfm poster because I don't know which one took the most effort and creativity.

Last edited:

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
I think it's a bit silly to say that producing a map in a day is less worthy of reward than producing the same map in three days. I suspect if we try and implement a system like this, that we'll merely drive away the people who could only do one day, or whow only want to do one day - like I said, we're objecting to twenty seconds, not "only ten hours".

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I'll knowingly shift the goalposts and argue that for a 72hr jam, we should only reward people that put in effort as opposed to produce quality. Since this isn't a contest with judging why should quality still remain as a metric?

if the goal is to attract people to this community with skills and ability (better than yours) I doubt having to put in work at least two days will cause them to not want to stay or participate. Having more than one day gives at least time to get to know the community and become apart of it as opposed to "Enterchat" "!maps" "leave." Having people be subjectively judged could act as a deterrent for people who worry they can't produce something worthy instead, whilst the system I propose is objectively clear on its demands.

Furthermore participation itself wouldn't be "banned" but qualifying for a medal will have a strong sense of consistency. If content creators want to participate they can and be a part of it, but without receiving a medal at the end.

I also fail to see anyone producing something in a day as someone who stays for more than a day.

I've pretty much made all my points so i'm just going to leave it at that.

Just going through the responses, I really think you should be thinking about it this way -

Since a lot of people are now talking about this, I think a better question to ask is "How do we promote and encourage quality content creation" rather than "How do we stop crappy art from getting a medal?"

FunkEdge

L3: Member
Jan 14, 2017
what about the TF2 Map members in the UK and other time zones? (like myself)
if we go by one of the American time zones. the UK members who join this will be starting in the middle of the night.
of course we can't change the time zones but it's still something of a problem.

Crowbar

Spiritual preprocessor
aa
Dec 19, 2015
Did it turn out so hard to keep everyone's schedules? What about (semi-) automating this?