When do you want the next 72hrjam?

Discussion in 'Contests' started by LeSwordfish, Jan 7, 2017.

?

When should we hold the jam?

1. 10th-13th February

40 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. 17th-20th February

20 vote(s)
    25.6%
  3. 24th-27th February

20 vote(s)
    25.6%
  4. 3rd-6th March

19 vote(s)
    24.4%
  5. 10th-13th March

22 vote(s)
    28.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    There's not too much to sort out for the next 72hrJam, so i've left this thread fairly late. We know what went well last time, and we don't want to do anything too radical to change that. Except for a few things:

• We know we want to have some kind of low-key quality filter this time, so 20-second MS Paint drawings don't get a medal. I reckon we're gonna get a lot less of these entries this time around, since people just doing it for the medal aren't likely to come back. However, how should we do this? It's probably possible to manually check all the entries and discard ones that seem bad, but how do we determine between "phoned-in" and just "bad"? I've not been able to think of any concrete ideas for this rather than a judgement call, so suggestions are very welcome.
    • We'd like to make it easier to enter. Some kind of single button that automatically sets up the submission ready to go would be good: we're going to investigate this. Alternatively, just be clearer about using the prefix.
    • The exhibition game will probably be a lot more chill this time. Killohurtz has kindly volunteered to be in charge of whatever kind of exhibition we do, though, so I'll let her take the lead on that.
    • We're going to try to only blackhole the site once during this one. Maybe zero times, but lets set achievable targets.

That all sound good to you? In addition there's a poll in this post - vote for any days you'd like the jam to be on.

• Thanks Thanks x 6
    • Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. Asd417

aa Asd417

Positive Ratings:
    캡처.PNG 캡처.PNG
    These are US calenders

• Thanks Thanks x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    lotta people miss the contest aspect of the 72hr, while the jam is clearly the focus now it'd be cool if there was an optional contest portion you could submit to

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Like Like x 1
  4. MaccyF

aa MaccyF Notoriously Unreliable

Positive Ratings:
    doesn't really change the fact that it's a bastard to judge, its not as if people are not going to submit entries if they make something that qualifies.

• Agree Agree x 6
  5. Grand Maester Zaenoch

Grand Maester Zaenoch L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    As my current life can't participate in the 72 hour contests, due to school, and sleep i sadly cant join the fun

6. Hyperion

aa Hyperion L16: Grid Member

Positive Ratings:
    TIL US people put Sunday first

Personally none of the options suit for me, 31st Mar would be soonest that I can participate

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR 水素臭い

Positive Ratings:
    Back in the day, the contest was changed to Jam for two reasons. 1) It was impractical to judge. There was no easy way to do it with the resources provided. 2) A large majority of people were vocal in not having contests for varying legitimate reasons.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Crash

aa Crash func_nerd

Positive Ratings:
    I can say right now that making it a contest again is not on the table. Just to head off anyone getting their hopes up.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. Yrr

aa Yrr An Actual Deer

Positive Ratings:
    ah ok i asked if that was the case and was told to suggest it here to find out

10. SmallBiscuit

SmallBiscuit L7: Fancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I think this one should be:
    maps: gameplay logic works, and can be played in a server without breaking anything... (so no fullbright)
    art: no idea... art is a very biased thing...
    items: can be downloaded and used without any outside tools
    hmmm... i dont entirely think this may be possible... but we might want to consult the astronomers on any new black hole sightings either way... (this was a terrible try at a joke, so don't shoot me...)

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Fantasmos

aa Fantasmos

Positive Ratings:
    Make it so each day you must submit progress on your project in the form of a screenshot or download. So if you're working on a day only project it wont count.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Respectfully Disagree Respectfully Disagree x 1
  12. Hosomi

Hosomi L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'm not so sure about that, because last time people joined and did a day project and still did a good job

• Agree Agree x 7
  13. TyeZenneth

TyeZenneth L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Not everyone can make it to all three days, which is why it takes place during three whole days.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. Fantasmos

aa Fantasmos

Positive Ratings:
    But when someone makes something in just one day is it really worthy of a medal specifically for a 72hr contest. The more they're given out the less they signify, so what's even the point in having what practically becomes a "I didn't participate but did something last minute" medal.

Maybe two days could work, which fits more snugg into schedules as they don't have to be in a row

15. Simulacron

Simulacron L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    What about making some sort of voting system to find those 20-second projects? If you would see one of those low-quality projects you could vote for it to get disqualified. We could even do this with the "respectfully disagree" button. If the project has a certain number of diagrees, maybe 5 - 10, one of the staff members could look over it and decide if the project is valid. By doing this good projects couldn't be sabotaged, by people that don't like the publisher, and staff members won't have to look over all entries, but just those, that the community decides on.

• Like Like x 1
  16. LeSwordfish

aa LeSwordfish semi-trained quasi-professional

Positive Ratings:
    It's an interesting idea, but I worry that it would be really very dispiriting, to post your first thing on the site and recieve a bunch of "downvotes".

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Crowbar

aa Crowbar perfektoberfest

Positive Ratings:
    Maybe make those who posts low quality stuff really expect downvotes? Or do you mean these "random" downvotes that any quality content might be getting? Could also better off making upvotes then, which would counter the downvotes in the head of creator ("my content got 2 downvotes? well, 10 else people like it though"), and might turn out to help choose things that get to the showcase.
    Of course for that to be fair, we/you'd also need to encourage people to vote, and also make there fast and easy way to browse all the 72hr content.
    I'm a bit torn between if my idea is shitty or not-that-shitty.

18. Simulacron

Simulacron L5: Dapper Member

Positive Ratings:
    I agree that this is probably the biggest flaw of the system, as different people would vote differently. The problem is that most time you underestimate the time that went into something.
    Sorry, I don't really know whatyou mean with your first sentence.
    I think that upvotes are a good idea to counter the downvotes and could make the system less discouraging.

19. Fr0Z3nR

aa Fr0Z3nR 水素臭い

Positive Ratings:
    Since a lot of people are now talking about this, I think a better question to ask is "How do we promote and encourage quality content creation" rather than "How do we stop crappy art from getting a medal?"

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Ynders

aa Ynders absolutely gormful

Positive Ratings:
    Possibly different qualities of the medal? Like, baseline everyone who enters gets unique, but higher quality projects get genuine or strange, based on the decision of staff or other trusted mappers? (though who knows if valve will be okay with giving out a free strange item)

• Like Like x 4