1. Hey there Guest,

The game servers have moved to semi-dedicated hardware and IPs have changed. Please see front page server widget for up-to-date game server information.

What's a good size for a vent?

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by spartasaurus, Aug 24, 2012.

1. spartasaurus

spartasaurus L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    The title really says it all. What's a good size for a vent for people to crawl through?
    And also I want to make a secret area, like a wall that looks solid but you can walk through it, and hit a button that causes music to start playing. How would I do that?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  2. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    For crouching through, 64 x 64 is the absolute minimum you can have, as crouching playermodels are 63 units high.

For walking, I'd suggest 128 x 128.

3. Mr. Happy

Mr. Happy L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    For your secret the wall could be a func_illusionary and you use a func_button that is tired to an ambit_generic (which plays the sound).

You will need to PAK the sound into the map.

4. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    Players are 49 wide, 83 tall when standing and 63 tall when crouching

5. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    "Standard" vents like in Hydro or Turbine are 96x96 internal and 128x128 external (16 unit walls).

and because I'm a pedant, players are actually 48 wide by 82/62 high, but need extra space to fit.

6. Tarry H Sruman

Tarry H Sruman Large Orphanage Proprietor

Positive Ratings:
  7. Kill_the_Bug

aa Kill_the_Bug

Positive Ratings:
    If the vent's smaller than the above you could also use some grease smeared all over your player with a trigger that will cause a func_door to act like a ram rod and shove the player into the hole - of course it will probably kill them - but if you're not worried about that sort of thing - I'd say it's a go!

lol

8. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    Make the button activate on damage because it doesn't work otherwise without enabling cheats and setting a server variable

9. spartasaurus

spartasaurus L1: Registered

Positive Ratings: