What do you do when you are compiling?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I take a breather, have a sip of water and return to my keyboard.

This is why you buy good PCs, Kiddies.

;)

95%+ of compiles i run are over in 2 minutes so its a good time to continue a steam conversaion or forum browsing or map uploading or whatever really

Exactly, a compile of a late beta map takes me about 10 minutes on a 1/1 and a half year old computer. I take the oppotunity to go to the toilet, get myself a drink, check my emails. Dual core has allowed me to compile and do other stuff at the same time, like watch an episode of family guy off mega video. By the time i'm finished, the bsp is waiting for me, not the other way around.

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
How can you fully compile a beta map within 10 minutes? :O

My last beta map, rockpike, took me more than 2 hours for full compile, and demolition is more than 10 minutes, though it hasnt any details.

Guess its time for a new pc D:

When compiling, i usually browse the web, listen to music or watch videos.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
It takes me a total of 18 minutes to compile a FULL (fancy shadows and all) compile of furnace creek.
On my old pc which was around 1.5 years old it took around 28-32 minutes (cant remember exactly)

since i almost always have the cordon tool turned on and often do compiles with nothing but bsp I'm never really waiting for a compile.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
Takes about 10 minutes to compile Lighthouse on Full and about 20-ish minutes for Nightfall with all the fancy stuff as well. Clearly some people don't optimise. :p

strangemodule

L5: Dapper Member
Sep 10, 2009
Takes me about 5-10 minutes, depending on if I've managed to convince VVIS to be nice to me.

I usually either browse forums or continue conversations on Steam during compiles though for some reason Youtube videos lag insanely while compiling, at least for me.

Nutomic

L11: Posh Member
Feb 7, 2009
Takes about 10 minutes to compile Lighthouse on Full and about 20-ish minutes for Nightfall with all the fancy stuff as well. Clearly some people don't optimise. :p

I dont think that its the optimization, when vis takes a few minutes, but rad takes hours. So much about that ;)

If i had nothing to do, i could decompile some of your maps and compare the time, but im too lazy :p