Water VS Gatoraids

Water Vs Gatoraid vs Crab Juice vs Shrimp Cocktail vs Orange Juice vs Mud vs Ecto

• Water

Votes: 17 60.7%
  • Alligatoraid

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Crab juice

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Shrimp cocktail

Votes: 3 10.7%
  • Orange Juice

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Mud

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Ecto Cooler

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I think squash is the right word for it, but I feel so uncomfortable saying it when I refer to the drink, I hesitate every time I go to say it because all I'm hearing is the vegetable/sport meaning of the word. So I will circle around the topic of discussion, or lie and say I drink something else!

I think lemonade is a common word to use too though? I feel like thats what I was taught in English class as a kid. Never heard anyone say squash to refer to a drink during that time at least.

Last edited:

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
concentrate can refer to so many consumable fluids though. You have juice from concentrate, then you have squash concetrate which is concentrated squash which requires even more dilution with water than regular squash. What do you guys call concentrate when it's concentrated? Double concentrate?

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Juice from concentrate is labeled as just that. As for your double concentrate thing... is every single "squash" an equal level of concentration or something? We just call everything concentrate if that's what it is, and you read the side to find out how concentrated.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I don't believe there's any set standard, each brand has it's own standard. Ribena goes a long way, Robinsons not so much. The price generally dictates the quality (as you'd imagine). But there are some squashes/branded squashes that come with a second option of being further concentrated, presumably it's more economical as they are even cheaper (and taste more like arse).

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
Juice from concentrate is labeled as just that. As for your double concentrate thing... is every single "squash" an equal level of concentration or something? We just call everything concentrate if that's what it is, and you read the side to find out how concentrated.

You're misunderstanding, and neither me or grazr has explained it well:

Juices are often transported as concentrates but are always ready to drink when you buy it. They're labelled as juice and then in small writing somewhere "from concentrate".

Squash still is a concentrate when you buy it. If you were to drink squash without adding water it'd be a vile syrupy sugary horrible affair. Squashes are never labelled as juice and don't have "from concentrate" on them since they still are a concentrate.

That is what separates them.

The distinction is important, imagine if you picked up a bottle of squash thinking it was a juice and tried to drink it neat!

To summarise once more:

Juice - ready to drink off the supermarket shelf
Squash - requires extra dilution before drinking

Verumae

L1: Registered
Jun 16, 2011
Squash still is a concentrate when you buy it. If you were to drink squash without adding water it'd be a vile syrupy sugary horrible affair. Squashes are never labelled as juice and don't have "from concentrate" on them since they still are a concentrate.
eww oh god that's gross why does this exist

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
Juice from concentrate sounds like we're on the same track.

The thick syrup stuff is just called "concentrate" here.

The confusion was with grazr mentioning "squash concentrate" and asking what we would call it. I don't really know, I don't think we make a distinction since we don't have a unique word in use to begin with.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
eww oh god that's gross why does this exist

Because it's way smaller on your shelf (one bottle vs around 10 cartons).
It doesn't need refrigerating.
It lasts much longer before it goes bad.
Generally much cheaper for the amount of drink you get from it.
It's not disgusting, it's just like a 'soda' but non carbonated and you decide the strength yourself depending on your taste.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
So if no one else calls it squash, what do you call it?

How do you tell your juice from your squash? :s

We do actually have a word for it (saft), now that I think about it, believe it or not I totally forgot this existed.

So now I know that too.

Verumae

L1: Registered
Jun 16, 2011
Because it's way smaller on your shelf (one bottle vs around 10 cartons).
It doesn't need refrigerating.
It lasts much longer before it goes bad.
Generally much cheaper for the amount of drink you get from it.
It's not disgusting, it's just like a 'soda' but non carbonated and you decide the strength yourself depending on your taste.
Oh, okay, I thought you meant 1 bottle of squash = 1 bottle of juice. Well then that's okay but I still doubt 10x juice would taste good.

Terwonick

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 25, 2010
Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
From that same article:
"Squash is prepared by combining one part concentrate with four or five parts water (carbonated or still). ... Double-strength squash and traditional cordials, which are thicker, are made with one part concentrate and twelve parts water."

Most of what I'm familiar with is around 8:1... so there is the answer to everything :p

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
Since we're already vastly off topic and discussing food in the UK, I wanted to leave this here since it's not worth it's own thread. What madness is this? Are they trying to be dumb on purpose?

StickZer0

💙💙💃💙💙
aa
Nov 25, 2008
Since we're already vastly off topic and discussing food in the UK, I wanted to leave this here since it's not worth it's own thread. What madness is this? Are they trying to be dumb on purpose?

Oh man you have no idea how much I want to try this right now

EDIT: Oh man, this is so amazing to eat

Last edited: