Vector

CTF Vector Final

• This map is featured! Our best maps, all together in one place for your viewing pleasure.

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
Huh. I'm liking Radaka's style. But don't steal my thunder! :p

Nerdboy, solid props have bullet holes when shot. That's usually how I start with some props. I spend a good half hour in the map (with awesome music in the background) but it's not too bad. Sometimes it'll anger me if I can't find any.

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
(I'll just put this here, so I don't actually neglect the actual ctf_vector--/me facepalms for putting those images in cp_vector)
vector_intelligence_30.jpg

vector_intelligence_31.jpg

vector_intelligence_32.jpg

vector_intelligence_33.jpg

Radaka

L420: High Member
May 24, 2009
The only complaint I have with the intelligent spider is that the case looks to be more of a turquoise color rather than the standard blue (which might not even be a bad thing).

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
The only complaint I have with the intelligent spider is that the case looks to be more of a turquoise color rather than the standard blue (which might not even be a bad thing).

We just used the same palette as the BLU Intelligence model. We've tried others, but we found this is the best when it comes to being close to the TF2 palette which still maintaining enough contrast with it's core

Rexy did a ridiculously good job. It's beautiful, and efficient. I really enjoyed working with him. Literally, props to you man

Last edited:

HeaH

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Oct 2, 2008
Wow, that spider is awesome. Makes more sense to carry a sapper than an intelligence :)

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
We just used the same palette as the BLU Intelligence model. We've tried others, but we found this is the best when it comes to being close to the TF2 palette which still maintaining enough contrast with it's core

Rexy did a ridiculously good job. It's beautiful, and efficient. I really enjoyed working with him. Literally, props to you man

so...I assume it would be too much to hope for it to twitch back and forth and spark while your carrying it eh? Would be sweet though...

regardless of animation or not, its something of this quality that gets pub players to stay in a custom map long enough to enjoy it ;)

Last edited:

Rexy

The Kwisatz Haderach
aa
Dec 22, 2008
so...I assume it would be too much to hope for it to twitch back and forth and spark while your carrying it eh? Would be sweet though...

regardless of animation or not, its something of this quality that gets pub players to stay in a custom map long enough to enjoy it ;)

This is something the two of us had talked about, but in the end thought it would be best if it didn't...otherwise it would seem too alive, if that makes any sense.

If it's still a bit too turquoise, it can be modified. Nothing is set in stone. I had to rebake the A/O last night...I believe the color is from the new multiply layer. I'll be checking it out in a few.

EDIT: The turquoise look is because of the phong shading.

Last edited:

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
I like the concept, but I think the legs look too organic for the overall TF2 art style. Consider the way the sentry or dispenser look.

If the legs were more of an erector-set look with bolts at their joints, perhaps...

Tinker

aa
Oct 30, 2008
I like the concept, but I think the legs look too organic for the overall TF2 art style. Consider the way the sentry or dispenser look.

Sentries? Not organic?

Sentryani.gif

Also does it clasp the intel table thing when not picked up? Either way, fantastic job.

Last edited:

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
It acts and animates just like the intelligence, until it gets placed on the Doomsday Device.

We felt that giving it an arachnid design solved so many problems at once. It's not a robotic spider, it's just a device that resembles one.

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Sentries? Not organic?
Sure. Focus on the shapes and materials, not the movements. The shapes are all nuts, bolts, girders, lawnmower parts, etc.

There's a sense of a specific age about it which the tentacles don't quite convey. Maybe if they had ball-joints and looked like the Atomium from the 1958 World's Fair... (Yes, I know that's earlier in time than the game's calendar decals.)

Last edited:

Kireas

L1: Registered
Aug 5, 2009
WtFC did a playtest of Beta 1 last night, as I believe you were told via a friend of mine, and our impressions were on the whole good, except for the odd balance and direction issues (people got lost).

We've got another map in-playtest tomorrow, but I'll get a less formal group to have a look at Beta 2 and give you our feedback ^^

Wegason

L3: Member
Aug 16, 2009
That Spy Sapper looks awesome, well done to Rexy, Beta 2 looks hawt