Valve logic_relays (dustbowl specifically)

Discussion in 'Mapping Questions & Discussion' started by alecom, Jul 19, 2009.

1. alecom

alecom L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I was looking through valve's Dustbowl map for help on the round specific things (e.g. fences and stairs ) and I notice on the cap it had two logic_relays.

one called "cap1" with an input from the trigger when capped by blu, with an output to a second logic_relay called "cap1_triggers", which enables and disables the blu and red trigger_multiples for the spawn door respectively.

The trigger for the cap itself outputs changes for skins, brushes and cameras (basically everything else). Is there any good reason they use the one relay for the trigger_multiples, and WHY do they have a relay to tell a relay to do it's thing?!

Are the relays needed at all?

2. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    Because all the valve mappers have a love of relays. They aren't needed at all. My guess is it's somehow easier for them to keep track of stuff.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. alecom

Positive Ratings:
    A slightly crazy love for relays :/
    well, thanks for the answer (;

On a completely unrelated note - what is the "DA" button for in hammer, the top toolbar?

4. A Boojum Snark

aa A Boojum Snark Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado

Positive Ratings:
    DA? Do you mean DR? If so, it highlights vertecies on displacements that will be discarded in the final mesh because of different power displacements being sewn into one.

5. alecom

Positive Ratings:
    Ah sorry yes..

I have two displacements that sew together with different powers, but there are no highlighted vertices?

6. FaTony

FaTony Banned

Positive Ratings:
  7. alecom

Positive Ratings:
    I still don't see that as an excuse for a relay to tell a relay to start and nothing else (not even a delay).

8. Icarus

aa Icarus

Positive Ratings:
    I can imaging their usefulness during debugging or testing.

9. eerieone

aa eerieone

Positive Ratings:
    i have 17 logic_relays for my i single intel, helps me keep track of what happens when on one spot rather then fumbling around in the whole map to get some changes done

10. Yourself

Yourself L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    I use relays to logically group similar outputs rather than having a huge list (which Hammer never seems to put in the order I want) in a single entity.

11. Psy

aa Psy The Imp Queen

Positive Ratings:
    Relays are endlessly useful. It simply allows you to group specific outputs and inputs in a more organised fashion.