Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack

Ultimate Mapping Resource Pack 2014-11-06

Snowshoe

L2: Junior Member
May 16, 2012
Possible update for the new Source SDK tools beta? Or just a .zip file instead of an installer? Would be great to have this without guessing which files I need to copy over from the old source_sdk directory.

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
=== May 21 2013 ===

••• Pack now installs to Steampipe TF2 SDK location and utilizes VPK support

--- FGD ---
• Updated tf_logic_koth with new timer inputs

--- Other ---
• Removed option for enabling high-res 3D viewport due to possible conflict with new SDK
• Removed the no_entry texture that renders properly in Textured Shaded (Steampipe no longer allows for editor-only content)

http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=865

IMPORTANT: The "Material Browser" improvements necessitate overriding some of the default materials. This may cause problems when playing on pure servers!

Please make sure to report any and all issues you encounter. I had to make a lot of changes with the installer and the placement of the files due to the structure changes. Unfortunately I had to remove a few features that relied on the SDK having it's own content search path that the game would ignore. I tried investigating some options for doing it with the new system but came up dry.

I'm also not certain about the pure server thing, since I wasn't able to test it myself due to lack of servers. I'd appreciate knowing the outcome in either direction.

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
I am making a note here for the record that I updated the installer with better directory finding code, but since it doesn't affect the pack itself I only changed the filename date and didn't put it in the changelog.

Beetle

L9: Fashionable Member
Aug 17, 2008
Just want to say thanks for continuing to update this through all this time.

Whisker Biscuit

L1: Registered
Mar 23, 2013
Hi bud.

It's currently 5AM, and so I feel I'm missing a crucial step, but I updated Hammer based around this guide and am receiving the following error when I try to run the installer:
3mk3B.png

Now, I feel that I'm simply being stupid and not understanding how to properly run Hammer from my bin folder, but if it's not this, or there's an easy way to accomplish this (or you need more information or something), I'm all ears.

Thanks!

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
That thread is outdated, it was a temporary fix between the old and new SDK implementations. All tools are now shipped with the game by default and reside in the steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin directory. I am not sure if you will need to undo what that thread told you to (I didn't use that method) for the SDK to work, but for getting my pack to install all you should have to do is go to that directory and start Hammer.

The error is because I used Hammer's last run location from the registry to find/verify the TF2 tools. I could put in a normal select-where-to-install option as a fallback in case it doesn't work, but both method rely on the user navigating to the directory so it doesn't seem like it would help. Maybe I'll make the error message more explicit in its wording, however.

CaptainDefect

May 29, 2013
So, it seems to me that this pack doesn't work at all for me. As far as I can tell, my SDK still works fine using the old directory for maps and the new one for resources but won't load the custom FGD properly.
What the hell am I doing wrong?

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
Old directory for maps? Not sure what you mean, but the directory VMFs go in doesn't really matter to the SDK, and never has.

If the pack installed properly, the FGD should have been placed at steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\tf-abs.fgd, the installer is supposed to edit the hammer config file (steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin\GameConfig.txt) automatically, but it's possible you had something non-standard that confused the rather crude code I use for the function.

You can manually define what FGD to use by going to Tools > Options > Game Configs in Hammer and removing tf.fgd from the list and adding the one from above.

If the FGD did get put in the place I mentioned, I would appreciate it if you could PM me the contents of your GameConfig.txt (before you manually change anything) so I can see what, if anything, needs to be fixed on my side.

Further, did the custom assets install correctly? There should be two ABS_MRP .vpk files in the steamapps\common\Team Fortress 2\tf\custom directory. When you launch Hammer it should mention them being loaded in the messages window at the bottom.

lolo_32

Mar 22, 2011
Hi,
first, I need to thank you for your work (very useful). :thumbup:

But, like many people here, I have a problem installing the actual version. Each time I launch the setup, I got the message:

Code:
Unable to locate TF2 tools!
Please run Hammer from Team Fortress 2\bin folder once.

Even if I launch hammer, the message continue to display. I don't have a current setup (my TF2 folder is installed on another drive). Maybe it's the problem?

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
I don't have a current setup
What do you mean by that? Not up to date? The pack only works on the current steampipe filesystem and SDK setup, so if your TF2 is older than that, that is the problem.

Some things that will help troubleshoot otherwise:

Where is your TF2 install located?

After you launch Hammer, go into the registry (Start menu > type regedit in search > run regedit.exe) and navigate on the tree down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Hammer\General and look at the "Directory" entry. What location is shown there? (this is what the installer is looking at, perhaps there is some discrepancy)

lolo_32

Mar 22, 2011
Thank you for helping.

What do you mean by that? Not up to date? The pack only works on the current steampipe filesystem and SDK setup, so if your TF2 is older than that, that is the problem.
No, I mean that it's not an installation that many users use: installing the source SDK on the Steam default location, and TF2 on another drive. And of course, I use both the last versions of TF2 and Source SDK.

Where is your TF2 install located?
H:\Games\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2

After you launch Hammer, go into the registry [...] and navigate on the tree down to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Valve\Hammer\General and look at the "Directory" entry. What location is shown there? (this is what the installer is looking at, perhaps there is some discrepancy)
The Directory key (I think this is the one you want) is:

E:\Games\steam\steamapps\<MySteamId>\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
The Directory key (I think this is the one you want) is:

E:\Games\steam\steamapps\<MySteamId>\sourcesdk\bin\orangebox\bin

The directory key is the last location Hammer (any instance of it) was ran from, if it is showing that directory it would mean you are using the old "Source SDK" tool that no longer supports TF2.

Are you actually running Hammer from the location the installer is asking? Which for you would be H:\Games\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin. All the tools for TF2 are there now, included with the game by default.

I don't think the additional library feature should be causing an issue, but it's possible something is up with it because I don't have one and you're the first I am aware of to use one and/or encounter an issue with the installer while using one.

lolo_32

Mar 22, 2011
Hi,

Solved changing the registry key to the path that TF2 is installed.

It seams that the problem is from Hammer, that always put the old path of TF2 (from my profile), even if hammer if not configured to use it.

Remark: I removed and reinstalled the Source SDK, but the problem is the same.

lolo_32

Mar 22, 2011
I successfully installed the Pack, but I can't open GametypeLib nor PropLibs:

Code:
Failed to load the default scheme file. The map views may be missing some visual elements.

Code:
Model models/props_2fort/blue_window001.mdl not found and models/error.mdl couldn't be loaded

Then Hammer crash. Same problem if I create a new map.

A Boojum Snark

aa
Nov 2, 2007
Remark: I removed and reinstalled the Source SDK, but the problem is the same.
It seems like you aren't understanding the underlying issue. The "Source SDK" available in the tools tab of your steam library is not for use with TF2 any longer. Reinstalling it won't do anything because TF2 now uses a different Steam filesystem for content, and that SDK does not know how to use it. This is why you are getting those new errors.

All the SDK tools for TF2 are included with the game, standalone, and has nothing to do with anything named "Source SDK" in Steam. Like I said before, they should be at: H:\Games\SteamLibrary\SteamApps\common\Team Fortress 2\bin
Note there is no "tf" folder in there. This isn't "Team Fortress 2\tf\bin" where the core game dlls are stored.