Tundra

CP Tundra a2a

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
Aw, i was liking the winter theme. Not many winter A/D. It's all alpine and desert besides a couple community maps like haarp.

One suggestion, since you've removed the fencing for rocks on the right there, you've lowered and subsequently made players a lot more vulnerable to spam and rocket jumpers and the removal/movement of the building on the CP's flank has made that route a linear death trap. Consider adding a little cover overhead like some wooden planks or adding some ammo on the path to make it a viable spy route.

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
Computers outside... risky

Not computers. Secret control panels controlling the secret water supply

Edit: Also, Thanks Grazr.

There's isn't actually much difference in the heights of the new rocks. But the fences is a good idea in the places where they are smaller. :>

Last edited:

Rasputin

L3: Member
Sep 20, 2008
Oh darn, I was just about to point out that Tundras don't have any trees; vegetation doesn't grow beyond the odd shrub, but it looks like you up and changed the theme before I could act all snooty on ya.

Jimmy Nicholls

L2: Junior Member
Feb 15, 2011
I had a brief jump around just to see what was what. The layout looks really good to me. It's quite compact but it's obvious how it would work as a Push CP. I reckon if you made 2 more stages and turned it into a multi-stage thing it could well rival Dustbowl for quality. :D

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
It's funny, i remember the gameplay improving throughout the alpha's and suddenly this map plays really in favour for RED past the first control point. Also, what happened to A at the bridge? Wasn't this 3cp?

BLU spend too much time just trying to clear out the building after CP1. IE 7 minutes just to clear the sentries on the other side of the door, and ledges, then 3 minutes are all that's left to assault the even more SG friendly last point.

It was suicide to attack the last point head on without an uber and almost always better to assault from the structure on the side where demos and soldiers could out range defensive positions on the opposite flank and ambush the rest below/above them from behind where it was fairly easy to kill the engi and make sure your support follows through on the buildings (because you'll probably die in the process when they realise what's happening as you're pretty exposed).

As long as RED don't realise the weakness on their flank, which they'll assume to be the case because it was their old spawn exit, attacks on the point from here were semi effective and we (as defenders) had to replace a number of our sentry guns because of such sneaky demomen; but ultimately they were nothing more than scratches on the surface of our defence despite a 20 second respawn. Afterwards this surprise flanking attack from the old spawn exit was rendered moot just by doing a couple patrols with the other engi's one by one and looking after friendly gear as necassery.

I can't remember what sort of spawn wave advantage BLU get after capping CP1 but it's not nearly enough. You could start by making the smaller entrance into the structure by CP1 one way for BLU so RED can only counter attack through the large door on ground level. This will at least stop RED immediately flanking all the supporting engineer gear where a single soldier or demo could take out 3 players worth of buildings with little to no effort or risk on their part.

Last edited:

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
Also keep in mind that the better players know the map, the better defense becomes simply because sentry spots, sniper sightlines etc. get more well-known and you can expect when and where BLU guys come from a lot better

tl;dr 2nd is way too hard to cap

McNuggetFiend

L3: Member
Jun 22, 2009
What, what WHAT, happened to this one. I was prepared to give this a spot on my pub once the alpha textures were gone. : / Why do you toy with my emotions, Blob. Why :/

waxpax

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 25, 2011
We pugged your map tonight, here's some feedback from it:

cp_tundra_a2a

Problems:

- extremely easy to defend 2nd (ability for defenders to push out)
- attacker push up to 2nd can be blocked by two people
- bad clipping on second (prop sign, metal grid, etc)
- pure sniper sightlines
- extremely narrow

Possible Solutions:

- forward spawn for attackers
- remove one or both of the walls
- FLANK ROUTES. FLANK ROUTES LEFT AND RIGHT.

Here's the stv: http://www.mediafire.com/?tb68a095uqc5yry

Also, I think they might have had had an issue with exec'ing the proper config, hopefully that doesn't throw off the data you can get from the test, though.

Mr.Blob

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Jun 12, 2009
I'm actually working on a "new " second point. :)
- Should fix the issues completely.