[TIP] Stopping builds on leaks

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
Not to mention, previously known length is all you have to go on. Nothing in the during-compile output will give an accurate estimate of the time remaining.

Sometimes vvis goes nuts and takes 3-4 times longer to complete for no reason that I can discern, and I normally only catch it when I see the "1..2..3.." stuff going much slower than normal.

Yeah, there's no timestamp going, but the output can be useful.

Bloodhound

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 3, 2011
Got another pro argument for VBCT. :p
If you want to make a test compile, with VVIS, it would take some time.
But if you are using VBCT you can work in hammer at the same time, for example making some detail work. :D

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
It's called crashing and not telling you.

If there are too many visportals with unnassigned adjacent visleafs because of a hole to the void where it tries to make a whole bunch of visleafs outside, Hammer skips vvis altogether. I'm surprised either of you aren't aware of this.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009
I've never seen a sentence with the phrase "hardcore pro elite" taken so seriously. But really, default hammer compile is fine I think. Certainly fine enough not to dismiss more expert compile tricks. Speaking of which, does there exist a document that contains all the commands for it?

Last edited:

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
The Valve wiki lists all the command line arguments for the three compilation binaries.

VBCT has checkboxes for all of them. :O