Model Ticonderoga

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Excellent idea grazr, thanks for the help, we knew it was a little too bland as it was!

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
If you were gonna add anything i'd say add more Somalians. Tripping rainbow unicorns are only the staple currency of Somalia. You need to represent the work force.

Last edited:

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
In my opinion, the texture's lacking something that really ties it into the TF2 theme. At the moment it's very hard to distinguish the BLU skin from the RED one, meaning that players will get turned around in game (unless of course you have very tall bases, but that's very unlikely :p.) I say, add a few basketball player silhouettes to the outside in red and blue to help the skins look a bit more different.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Well, I was way off on the triangle count.

The full low poly model is 14,000 Triangles (I'm still shaving some off), which while being nothing to lose sleep over in this day in age, is about double what I was expecting, so I guess, maybe, just maybe, this obligates me to make some LoD models so that people still living in the stone age are able to play maps with this model.

In other news, the skinning work is about half done, and if any of you are still taking those progress pictures I posted seriously, you should consider visiting your local psychiatrist!

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Glad to hear you're thinking about the performance side of this too. I don't think a LOD model or 2 could hurt.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
LODs.jpg

Full 14,456

Removal of Minor details 9,298

Removal of all but prominent details 5,074

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
If you were gonna add anything i'd say add more Somalians. Tripping rainbow unicorns are only the staple currency of Somalia.

No wonder they're so poor! *rimshot*

Wow, I just made a tasteless joke about poverty in Africa. Go me.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
boat_box0000.jpg

Me and JC have been hard at work, expect a release soon.

We're only going to have skybox version for this, with 3 separate models in their LODs leaving it to the mapper's discretion when it comes to how much detail needs to be visible. (depending on how far out in the skybox it is)

E: Oh jc noticed I didn't anti alias :v

WithAA.jpg

We're probably gonna end up adding some smoke from the smokestacks, and then that's pretty much it!

EE: Better pictures

boat_box0001.jpg

boat_box0003.jpg

boat_box0004.jpg

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2010
This is quite exceptional looking. I am highly curious what it will look like in skyboxes and with anti-aliasing. :p The detail is nifty. Nice skin as well.

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
I wasn't aware it was a finished skin. Personally, I think the hull is too bright and not shiny.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
:O

Oh lawdy, it's so beautiful.

Any chance of a skybox version too?
Pretty please?

That is the skybox version :)

We're also not going to do a regular version due to the fact it'd be way too huge (fun fact this is the same size as the granary boat give or take), there's no way anyone making a decent level would have a play area big enough for it.

I wasn't aware it was a finished skin. Personally, I think the hull is too bright and not shiny.

It's phong shaded or some shit, and is shiny and somewhat reflective, but it is a skybox model so it's not going to be anything crazy. As for being too bright, I like bright, over the realistic flat grey :v

Last edited:

RedO

L1: Registered
Jun 6, 2009
How about a complementry cup of pencils?

You know, Ticonderoga pencils?

Jan 20, 2010
We're also not going to do a regular version due to the fact it'd be way too huge (fun fact this is the same size as the granary boat give or take), there's no way anyone making a decent level would have a play area big enough for it.

Can... can you release it anyway? So I can gawk at it. :O

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009

Well, there goes my idea for plr_boatrace.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
Released.

Here's the deal, there's a prefab with 3 different groups of SKYBOX models, at various levels of detail, so at your discretion, choose which one is right for the distance away from the level.

There's also 5 names, so just change the model for names skin to 0-4

Finally, there's red and blue hull skins too, so 0-1 on the hull model.

The hull is split from the top of the ship to prevent source rendering them twice when placed on water.

That's it, enjoy!

ps thanks post :)

Last edited:

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
ps ingame action

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=InBXu-iY7cw"]YouTube- In the Navy[/nomedia]