The Spy Update de-cloaks?!

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
So does that mean if you go for the feign death one you can't cloak at all normally? interesting, I never would have thought that would be how they did it.

Phobos

L3: Member
Feb 22, 2009
I love the James Bond themed achievements.
You only shiv twice
Dr. Noooooo
Die another way (backstabs explode pyro gas canister now lolwut?)
The man with the broken guns
On Her Majesty's Secret Surface

And some speculations:
Wetwork: Kill someone in the rain on Arena_Sawmill
Sleeper Agent: Dunno, new knife unlock has damage over time ability?

Edit:
Took another look at the hi-res picture of "Die another way". It's not a gas canister.

Last edited:

bittman

L1: Registered
Dec 7, 2008
I don't think I want the Valve corporate achievement.

No Sniper achievements though, guess we'll have to wait for them (though Valve still has 3 days of updates left).

And Meet the Spy was epic, clearly the best yet.

bomc

L2: Junior Member
Sep 25, 2008
HAHA, look what i've found :D
leaked.jpg

FleshGolem

Nov 21, 2007
Negative, the leaked video is different. Thus the official release video was updated post leak.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
Proofs exactly what ive been trying to prove for ages in the steam forum.

They 'leaked' the video intentionally.

The Spy update said:
UNLOCKED - Welcome to the internets: Fail to understand what 'Private' means on YouTube.

Proves exactly the opposite.

EDIT: Golem: How is it different?

Phobos

L3: Member
Feb 22, 2009
I took a picture of the YouTube video in all its blurry glory. You can't read what exactly is written there, but you can see that the first word is shorter than the second one. So it can't be "leaked video".

mts.jpg

bomc

L2: Junior Member
Sep 25, 2008
I took a picture of the YouTube video in all its blurry glory. You can't read what exactly is written there, but you can see that the first word is shorter than the second one. So it can't be "leaked video".

mts.jpg

yes... im am 99% sure that they added the "leaked video" after the leak, just to make fun of them selves. :p

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
The ambassador

There are two sorts of men in this world: the sort with blood pouring out of a hole in their heads, and the sort holding the Ambassador. It has the ammo count of a revolver and the pinpoint accuracy of a sniper rifle, even at long range. (But remember, a gun that packs this much heat needs to cool off between shots, so make every shot count.)

With its rosewood grip and likeness of your enemy’s mother (please send photo) engraved on the barrel, the Ambassador is eight motherloving pounds of steel your enemies won’t want to negotiate with.

Squirrelinabox

Mar 27, 2009
It's going to be very interesting to see exactly what the tradeoffs are for The Ambassador. Having that kind of accuracy at all ranges is quite deadly, and while spies rarely fight at distance, this could open up some fun new ways of playing.

The existing revolver is already deadly for those spy players who don't only use the knife. Add in the fact that a disguised spy can see the enemy's health and you can sit back and pick off low health opponents from a safe distance.

With that said, the notion of a slower time between shots could definitely be enough to make this purely a sidegrade and not an upgrade since it would severely handicap close range tactics if you can't shoot as quickly as you could with the existing revolver.

No mention of any other tradeoffs such as damage, krits, etc., so like all the other updates, we'll just have to wait and see just how gamechanging this one will be :)

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
The razor back was useless already, as 2-3 revolver shots would kill a sniper when scoped, and he wouldnt have time to get out of scope and kill you. I am guessing the Ambassador (badass name) will pack quite a wallop.

Squirrelinabox

Mar 27, 2009
After looking through the steam forums and seeing Joodude's response along with everybody else's, it seems many are thinking this gun is somehow going to be just as powerful as a sniper rifle. The update made no mention of power (ie, damage inflicted), merely that the gun will be as accurate as a sniper rifle. No mention of headshots, or scoping, or one shot kills.

Imagine a spy with the ability to one shot a class at any distance. Even if it were the low health classes, this would be the most powerful gun in the entire game. A spy could cloak, move to a great hiding spot, uncloak, kill a low health class, recloak, and rinse and repeat. There's no possible way this gun is going to oneshot anybody. Sure, I don't like some of the changes Valve has done with a few of their unlockables, but I don't think there's any possible way they are dumb enough to release a gun that for the spy that can oneshot anybody.

Ninjilla

L420: High Member
Sep 13, 2008
I am sure it cant one shot anyone, but I expect good damage when it needs cool down and its 8 pounds of badassery XP