JackHundeswald

L2: Junior Member
Jul 17, 2019
THE PALM PLAZA COURSE MAPPING CONTEST

jump_poster.png

Poster by Dr Hund. Any Moderators thinking that something's wrong with this thread? Just tell me.

HELLO EVERYONE! My name is Dr Hund, a mapper just like you (normally) who has been working on a project since December 2020.
This map is made for community servers, to have fun with something else than trade_minecraft or Turbine all day.
It was gonna be a Trade Map rework, but I like challenges, so instead, I propose a free map of fun, because we all know the state of Casual right now.
People will be able to goof around, trade, be tryhards in the section made for it, or just have fun doing minigames.
AND THIS IS THE PART WHERE YOU COME IN!
I am making this contest in order to invite you all to make... a course! *Dramatic music plays*
Simple really. Rocket jumping, Surf, Parkour etc.

The rewards? First: Having your creation embedded in my map, playable by anyone once it's finished.
and it is near the end and I am getting -slightly- tired of working on it and would like to play it with people.
Bots are awesome, they work efficiently (better than most), do what you want and are very polite, but it's just not the same thing...
You could also get the reward of... mhh You there, tell me, what do mappers like?
-Having people play their map? I dunno.
-yes, but that may not convince them, and I'm not full of money...
-How about free hats?
-That's an idea... YES. 10 Refined metal to be used for hats and shit! Obviously a lot of you won't care for that little, but you realise
that you don't NEED to enter this contest. Time cannot tell if the map will flop. The testers enjoy it, but does it mean a lot?
Your reward will then be "your course in my map", 10 refined for the best one and the simple fact that you obviously enjoy mapmaking, otherwise why are you here?

DEADLINE: Whenever you want. But you don't want to anyway

MAXIMUM 3D SPACE: 10000x10000x10000 Hammer Units or equivalent in different sizes (9000x9000x12000). If you want to do a 3D Skybox, well (try not to, but) make it Inside of the max space and I'll arrange myself with the rest of the map.

TYPE OF BUILD: Any kind of course: can be modern urban-themed, with a few neons and colored lights, or just plain indoors (if you have ideas for other minigames, well
try, suggest, present me the possibilities. It might work too, but it won't be part of the contest)
(all difficulties accepted, with a preference for medium, so that any average player can finish it.)
-parkour
-surf
-puzzle
-bumper car racing.
This one would be better if either urban themed or canyon themed.
(think of Need For Speed: Carbon)
-rocket jump course (Try to make them available to all jumping classes:Soldier, Demo and Engi. Specials for one class can be done, but specify the class and just avoid doing it.)
-anything else as long as it has a beginning and an end. Be creative I guess...

ENTITY LIMITS: (There's gonna be my map, filled with stuff, so this is required to not make the map too heavy)
-5 brush entities, and 12 for Parkour and Puzzle entries.
-6 point entities, and 14 for Puzzle. Necessary map entities such as light_environment don't count because they will be replaced.
(speaking of which, my light_environment entity is based on nighttime, so try not to do open sky if you don't do bumper cars)
-No objective-based entities like control points and payload carts.

Detailing should be skipped. Making brush details is fun, yes, but like I said, we're trying to make something not too heavy.
So stay at the minimum necessary.
CUSTOM TEXTURES:3 different textures maximum(unless from content packs mentionned later), if you have the rights to use them.
Oh and stick to TF2-like textures for the walls and such. No Obscene stuff, advertisements
or useless text. Credits allowed, if not done, I'll do it myself.

NO CUSTOM MODELS
, Unless they come from the following content packs: Frontline!, London, Construction and Autumnal. (this applies to materials as well and overrides the max amount specified before)

NOW REMEMBER: Doing without knowing can be tough, misleading and could render all of your efforts useless.
if you have a question, PLEASE ASK ME! If not here, there is @DrHundTF2 on Twitter (the one with only 2 subs lol) and Hunderwald#3206 on Discord
-You can name the map however you like, just keep it civil and SFW. That name might appear on the entrance of your creation later on.

WHEN YOU ARE FINISHED: Notify me of it, tell me what kind of course it is (same as questions) and I will provide you with an email address for you to send your file.vmf (Valve Map File)
I will then test it, verify if it's done by the rules, and if not, will ask you if I can change things to make it fit, or cancel if you want.)
You can also tell me under what name/links should your creation be credited.

Last edited: