The big 1.8 Preparation Thread

Lord Ned

L420: High Member
Feb 11, 2008
I feel like a couple rules have been established based on things I and Rexy have done on the server...

I dislike the 1000 block rule. Just let us go out to whereever the fuck we want :/

Yes. I shall let you explore wherever you want and wander all over the country side.

This has the positive effect of:
Crashing the map renderer
Making things hard to find on the renderer
Making me manually render the thing
Making me try to keep the server from falling apart
Increases the backup + time to backup + failure rate
Making our world look like this:
34hbcsx.png

On the other hand, if we limit it to a 1,000 block radius, we'd get a 4,000,000 pixel image instead of our current 282,814,464 pixel image. This obviously requires a lot less ram. It's currently crashing, because if you look in the image above, all that whitespace is calculated too, so the fact that people went one way and then the other, and then up and down too makes the image + ram requirements grow exponentially.

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011

These.

I'm in favour of the 3 wide/jutting out pathways.

I'm still not sure how The Nether comes in, one of the things I enjoy about it most in SMP is that it's the closest thing to a No Man's Land you're going to get in a normal server, but if you want in, you trade away relative safety. A town situated in The Nether would suck, because it defeats that No Man's Land feel and the threat.

I'm not against building in The Nether, like having a structure built around your Nether Portal, but if things get organised, that seems like it'll just ruin the appeal of going there in the first place.

Lord Ned

Feb 11, 2008
They're great for travel between towns, it takes a lot less minecart rails to get around, and it actually feels like a useful method of transport (Because it's what, 32x realworld? 16x for nether + minecarts at 2x speed)

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
A trigger_ban at the edges of the 1000u radius.

One thing that I thought up was it would be much cooler IMO if we had to clear the town area ourselves. I don't know if you were planning on making flat dirt ground in the town with your magical op powers, Matt, but I think it'd be cool if we had to level the area of the town then fill it with dirt or whatever ourselves. I know I'd be up for doing that if this idea goes through.

Lord Ned

Feb 11, 2008
How exactly would you limit people to a 1000 block radius or whatever it is you're limiting?

It's a plugin that warns you when you get near the edge, then teleports you back if you cross it. Back being a distance from the edge, not back to spawn.

May 2, 2009
A trigger_ban at the edges of the 1000u radius.

One thing that I thought up was it would be much cooler IMO if we had to clear the town area ourselves. I don't know if you were planning on making flat dirt ground in the town with your magical op powers, Matt, but I think it'd be cool if we had to level the area of the town then fill it with dirt or whatever ourselves. I know I'd be up for doing that if this idea goes through.

I actually would like to do this rather than just spawn on flat grass. I live in city of thousand hills in real life :)

Lord Ned

Feb 11, 2008
I actually would like to do this rather than just spawn on flat grass. I live in city of thousand hills in real life :)

San Fransisco? :)

On that note, I don't know the exact city setup yet. It might just start with a ring around it + a center, and everything else is unexplored, or it might not have a ring, etc.

I'm open to suggestions on a look for it.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I think it should be ok to explore mines under the town if they exist and you happen upon one by chance (like finding a cave that leads under the village). So long as you're not digging extra tunnels to find more caves it shouldn't really pose a problem. If you happen to stumble across a natural cavern then fine, throw down some torches and grab only the resources you see (should only be coal at the level we're talking about). It's when that cave becomes riddled with ugly 1 wide x 2 high corridors that bump into other "exploration tunnels" and burst up into peoples houses/gardens that things get ugly and destructrive.

If Worst comes to worst, you can just line the village with an obsidian foundation 8-10 or so units down so people get the picture: No faffing around in village limits. But i don't think that should really be necassery in the end. If people exercise restraint and respect i don't see why people can't make nice and go do their stuff elsewhere.

Also, i agree with Seba. Making the town should be a community operation, that's half the fun of minecraft. When Matt creates a new world he can make a render and then we can kinda get an idea on how our village might look. Until then we can't really make any definitive decisions on the aesthetics of the town. If it's in a grassy field it'll be how i imagine most people expect it to be, if it's on a hillside then we have more aesethetic options.

Last edited:

Turbo Lover

Fight me under Glasgow Central Station
aa
Feb 15, 2011
I don't know about you, but i don't want Pigmen running around OUR village, what will the neighbours think!?

Also, the NPC houses seem cramped, unimaginative, repetitive and lots of other words ending in 'ive'. I'd much rather build a house that looks awesome and tailors to my needs specifically than ransack a non hostile village for a shack.

Neighbouring villages on the other hand, sound awesome, as long as they're not directly next to our place.

May 2, 2009
And the forge sets things on fire so why wouldn't you live in there. I'm already planning to build my own Roman fortress somewhere.