pl_frontier
cp_steel
pl_cashworks_rc2
cp_glacier_rc
Removed CP Waste and added CP Steel.

MrAlBobo

L13: Stunning Member
Feb 20, 2008
Arena maps can be inserted into the rotation according to my experiences. In the normal mapcycle you put in an arena map, and then it'll switch to the arena config. To go back you can put say the first normal map in the arena mapcycle list, and it'll switch back.

Its a bit easier to just set the arena config file to use the normal mapcycle, as opposed to managing both cycles

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
soon as its live add offblast, I've been wanting that on the servers for months during our random casual play whatever events and always saddened when its not on.
I'd be tempted to add lighthouse in too, but only tempted.

I still think we need more maps in the rotation but I can't think of any :/

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
If you do put Lighthouse on the server makes sure it's the arena one. I don't particularly enjoy the KOTH version when there's more than 6-a-side. >.>

Jack Riguel

L10: Glamorous Member
Jul 19, 2009
As I was dissussing on the server yesterday, we really need to either randomize the map rotation, or change the order frequently. Many people are only able to play at certian times, meaning that they play the same maps each time they are able to join. In my own case, each time I join the server for casual play we go through the same rotation: cp_yukon, pl_waste, cp_furnace, then ctf_aurora; after which I need to leave. I still have yet to play pl_cashworks on a server that isn't filled with only 3 people.

Also, I support adding more custom maps to the rotation. While I'm hesitent to suggest mixing arena with normal maps, I think koth versions would fit nicely.

Although I do support arena_offblast once the "classless" update is released, mostly to honour the mapper for having his map made official.

Rasputin

L3: Member
Sep 20, 2008
If you guys are thinking arena maps, the ones I'm leaning towards are offblast (when it becomes available), lighthouse and harvest.

Jack Riguel

Jul 19, 2009
I feel like I'm repeating myself, but I'll say it again.

I'm assuming that you wish to have this rotation attract outsiders to the server, with tf2Maps.net people helping jumpstart the servers. Lighthouse is NOT a good map for this, as it has a messy layout and is difficult to understand even after a few rounds. I've seen both casual and hardcore players leave it because of exactly this reason. It's a good map for a group of people who enjoy playing with each other, but if you're looking for a few arena maps that will attract people and get them to stay then you can do much better. Both arena_backwash and arena_goldtooth do a much better job at this, especially the former.

But if you only wish for this to be just a gaming server only meant for those devoted to TF2Maps.net, the arena_lighthouse would be just fine.

Just think about your priorities. What do you want to server to become when it's not in an event or on gameday?

EDIT: With the recent TF2 announcement I'd like to amend this. Instead of adding custom arena maps (minus offblast), we should add custom KotH hill maps. In contrast to what I said before, koth_lighthouse in fact works quite a bit better then arena_lighthouse, since players have more time to get accustomed to the rather different layout.

Last edited:

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
New Rotation (08/14/09):
Code:
pl_hoodoo_final
cp_yukon_final
pl_waste
arena_offblast_final
cp_furnace_b3
ctf_aurora_rc
tc_meridian_rc2
pl_frontier
cp_steel
pl_cashworks_rc2
cp_glacier_rc
Updated CP Yukon and added ARENA Offblast.

potatocubed

L1: Registered
Aug 4, 2009
Noob question, somewhat relevant: can I download the maps from the server as I play or do I have to get them all ahead of time?

Fearlezz

May 4, 2008
pl_Borax_rc? :)

Icarus

aa
Sep 10, 2008
Hoodoo is a decent populator, being official.

I think that's why we have it come up first whenever the server restarts.