TF2Maps.net Major Contest #9 - Mann vs. Machine

Discussion in 'Contests' started by Seba, Nov 30, 2012.

1. tyler

aa tyler snail prince, master of a ruined tower

Positive Ratings:
    I want to draw attention to a FAQ Aly posted on MVM for anyone that is having problems with the entities or bots or whatever.

I did all the setup for my map yesterday. It wasn't as hard or complex as I thought it'd be. With this FAQ I'll iron out my last few quirks and have an A1 today.

2. Untouch

Untouch L4: Comfortable Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have a concept I'll post.

I'm trying to get bots to attack base_boss, I don't think it'll work though, but, an endless amount of bots spawning, medieval mode, with a time limit. The theme will obviously be medieval.
    Screwing around with base_boss right now.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. Dïcecübe

Dïcecübe L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    Hmm.. I got a (in my opinion) concept for a MVM map.
    Also I like challenges so I'm in.

4. GPuzzle

GPuzzle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    After Sergis suggestion, I'm definetively in.

5. Sergis

aa Sergis L666: ])oo]v[

Positive Ratings:
    oh god what have i done

6. GPuzzle

GPuzzle L9: Fashionable Member

Positive Ratings:
    BECAUSE FUCK YOU THAT'S WHY

Just kidding, I was entering anyway.

7. Jimo

Jimo L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    You know what, I think I'll take a stab at this. Sounds like fun.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  8. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    I'm interested, but the timing on this contest is kind of crappy, you realize, since we're zooming into the holidays. While I usually end up with lots of time to twiddle my thumbs on Christmas day, the rest of the month is pretty busy. That leaves 1/2 the time for an already short contest window.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  9. Trotim

aa Trotim

Positive Ratings:
    Yeah pretty much this

10. Sergis

Positive Ratings:
    month extension? month extension! LETS DO THIS

11. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    Despite the fact that it's a tiny map and it goes into February?

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Sergis

Positive Ratings:
    Yes. And undespite the fact that people have lives and fulltime jobs and other shit and cannot put aside as much time for mapping as TF2M regular chat idlers such as myself and therefore are fucked if they want to make something actually worthwhile within the deadline.

13. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    If people really can't pull this off in the allotted time, we'll most likely add an extension. Nobody's really sure on the MvM dev process anyway, we guesstimated the time needed, so nothing's permanent just yet. Keep in mind that we won't extend the contest just because two or three people didn't have enough time to finish their maps: the previous extensions were due to factors the staff couldn't control (Valve breaking something, usually) or weren't knowledgeable about (like the singlestage PL contest). Again, we'll see what happens and decide then.

14. Freyja

aa Freyja Help I'm trapped in this post

Positive Ratings:
    MvM maps are simple and fast. yyler and I, probably the two furtherest in the contest at the moment are both just about ready to detail, and it's been what, two weeks?

15. Sergis

Positive Ratings:
    I just figured that making the contest a bit more accessible wouldn't hurt. But if we decide to have "If yyler and I can do it, everyone can" mentality...idk. I myself am perfectly comfortable with the deadline. There are, however, people like EArkham for example who aren't (and who likely won't even enter the contest seeing its deadline so there wont even be a reason to extend it).

Oh well, I guess it isn't really a problem for me personally so idgaf anymore :D

16. tyler

Positive Ratings:
    For the record I'm hella busy too. I'm not saying that means everyone should have time or be able, but it really didn't take me long to get where I am.

17. EArkham

aa EArkham Necromancer

Positive Ratings:
    I don't know where the hell this "likely won't even enter" crap is coming from, that's not what my concern was about.

With 6 players per gameday (25% of the usual scant amount of usable feedback) to balance 3-6 waves and dozens of viable MvM loadout combinations, as well as a limit of only every other gameday for each map, there's no way these maps are going to get more than light playtesting. I guess if I just say "lol, nope" to any testing, I won't have any problems with the deadline either.

• Thanks Thanks x 2
  18. fubarFX

aa fubarFX The "raw" in "nodraw"

Positive Ratings:
    my problem with tight deadlines in general is that you don't give people time to experiment and everyone is going to stick to the things they know will work. In my opinion/experience having a tight deadline just kills innovative maps. which is a shame really because mvm is fertile ground for innovation. more time = better maps and there's no doubt about that in my mind.
    oh well...

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  19. Pocket

aa Pocket When all you have is Hammer...

Positive Ratings:
    That's what I thought too, but really, it almost doesn't even matter what the waves are like. If they're too hard, call it a hard mode mission; if they're too easy, call it an easy one.

20. Seba

aa Seba DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD

Positive Ratings:
    You don't need to test your maps in gameday, really. Just hop into chat, ask if anyone wants to MvM, and since you need less people for it you're more likely to get a test in.

• Thanks Thanks x 1