Votes: 12 10.4%
  • Other/unusual

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Zwiffle

L6: Sharp Member
Jun 24, 2008
You work on your own vmf, but if you want to see the first stage layout which I did, it's been posted by Tapp somewhere in the thread (I think) a page or two back.

EDIT: Also, I left things absent on purpose (triggers mainly) so that the trigger/stitcher can do all that at once to ensure consistency.

Zwiffle

Jun 24, 2008
You can work in your own vmfs to set up prefabs/assets and just play with some buildings and style. It's good to get a library of things down if you're anxious to get started, even if you don't have the actual layout. And if you do, like I said the .vmf I had was posted (I think) somewhere in this thread if you want to go ahead and play around with it.

ricardojvc6

Jun 8, 2009
Well me and Tovilovan are both on Art Pass 1, so we don't actually get to do any real work on the map till the blockers are done and it's passed to us.

Unless I'm mistaken?

No, You're not mistaken, sir. Until the blockers finish they're work.. the things will get pass to the Art pass #1 then optimization then...

Tapp

L10: Glamorous Member
Jan 26, 2009
Swiffle has, infact sent me the vmf, but I has since deleted the PM as well as losing the link. I can understand your impatience with the blockers, but what they're doing is beyond my control now and I am unable to motivate them. If you feel compelled to block out a stage, go ahead.

Zwiffle

Jun 24, 2008
Well :) Here's the link to my ucmp2 layout

http://forums.tf2maps.net/downloads.php?do=file&id=3456

And I just wanted to clarify my statements, because after re-reading them they're a bit ambiguous. What I meant was you don't need to wait for the layout to start coming up with some cool set pieces, details, or just coming up with small thematic touches to give your map something unique, or even to contact other art pass mappers to discuss map themes throughout the entire map, etc etc. I consider that 'real work' as planning and just coming up with things even without the gameplay map is just as important as implementation.

Of course you would actually need the stitched-together map to implement all your art pass stuff of course. :)

Tapp

Jan 26, 2009
Now zwiffle, the way I understand it blue starts from the end with the open point and goes towards the house-point. While I can appreciate how hard it is to change the layout to flow the other way, wouldn't it make more sense for blue to cap the house first? Otherwise it turns into 3rd stage dustbowl.

lana

Currently On: ?????
aa
Sep 28, 2009
Art Pass guys: while you're waiting for a job to do, start making libraries and practicing with our theme (swamp/industrial, I believe.) You need to also be keeping your eyes on the blockers' work and look for anything that may be impossible with your theme. Just get ready to start detailing when we get a decent alpha out.

Blockers: make sure you're testing your maps every so often. Keep an eye on your walk times from spawns to control points, as BLU should take no more than 20 seconds for a soldier to reach the first CP (sans RJ's), which is really stretching it. Make sure to leave in areas for all classes to be useful, such as flanking routes for scouts and spies, perches for snipers, nooks for engineers, windows for soldiers and demomen, etc.

Tapp: add a link to the thread to the group page, if you wouldn't mind.

If you haven't already joined, http://steamcommunity.com/groups/UCMP2

Zwiffle

Jun 24, 2008
Now zwiffle, the way I understand it blue starts from the end with the open point and goes towards the house-point. While I can appreciate how hard it is to change the layout to flow the other way, wouldn't it make more sense for blue to cap the house first? Otherwise it turns into 3rd stage dustbowl.

I'm not exactly following you - currently the offense starts at the far south spawn, and moves north towards the defense's spawn. If I understand you correctly, the 'house point' is the elevated, northern point. I don't know why it would make more sense for them to cap one over the other, and I'm certainly not sure what it has to do with 3rd stage dustbowl. If it's that strange, just swap the spawn points.

If you're concerned about the defense spawning in the 'open' for lack of a better term, I left the defense spawn ambiguous and open like that on purpose until I had a better idea of the stage 2 spawn and how that was meant to be done.

honorum646

Oct 9, 2009
I have been sketching out a layout for my first point, but I was hoping to bounce some ideas off of people so they know what I am shooting for in the final area.

I am going to have the first point in a sort of oil refinery (Swamps + oil? Something like that.) with a binch of heavy machinery and such. (Industrial area.) But then, when the point is captured a few "secret entrances" open up and reveal a "secret base".

I was also hoping that I could nudge a few of the art pass people towards a bit of detailing I had in mind.

When you capture the first point (which is situated in front of a large window displaying some lovely machinery) the windows get covered over by some metal plates and then reopen to reveal a hidden "thing" (rocket, missle, bomb, giant robot ;), etc.).

This is about where I am.

Tapp

Jan 26, 2009
that sounds great honorum, it should run well with our theme. Now zwiffle, I'm sorry if I wasn't clear on what I meant there, I guess I just misinterprated the blocking. The stage is fine as it is.

Vincent

&#128296 Grandmaster Lizard Wizard Jedi &#128296
aa
Sep 5, 2009
I have been sketching out a layout for my first point, but I was hoping to bounce some ideas off of people so they know what I am shooting for in the final area.

I am going to have the first point in a sort of oil refinery (Swamps + oil? Something like that.) with a binch of heavy machinery and such. (Industrial area.) But then, when the point is captured a few "secret entrances" open up and reveal a "secret base".

I was also hoping that I could nudge a few of the art pass people towards a bit of detailing I had in mind.

When you capture the first point (which is situated in front of a large window displaying some lovely machinery) the windows get covered over by some metal plates and then reopen to reveal a hidden "thing" (rocket, missle, bomb, giant robot ;), etc.).

This is about where I am.

Well when you get a decent VMF setup I'll throw down some basic detailing for you then send it back if you want, unless you want detailing from scratch then that'll take me a little bit more time.

I get where you're going with your theme though and I like it.

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
Let's not try to be overly complex with our areas here. We need to see how the control point plays before having an elaborate sequence of it opening up.

honorum646

Oct 9, 2009
Let's not try to be overly complex with our areas here. We need to see how the control point plays before having an elaborate sequence of it opening up.

You may be misunderstanding. The "secret doors" function the exact same as locked doors which open after capping.

The rest was so that the detailers have an idea what I am shooting for on my section. :)

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
Project on hold for 3 years due to budget cuts.

lana

aa
Sep 28, 2009
It's not obligatory, just assumed!