TF2Maps.net 72hr Winter Mapping Classic - VOTING THREAD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Egan

aa
Feb 14, 2010
Sorry for the delay, but there were 30 entries and I felt obliged to give feedback on each of them. Some I've already posted my thoughts on at feedback.tf2maps.net but mostly I just wrote up what I though of them here. These are of course all my opinion, and you know what that means, trust your expert opinion to hear what myself and others are saying and adjust things the way you think you should to try solve our problems, and if you don't think you should adjust things, ask yourself why. If you don't think you have an expert opinion and are willing to just do what people want, then you're never going to revolutionize anything.

cp_aly:
The map played well on just about every round that it saw, the first point goes down after half the time allotted and the second goes down only 2/3 of the time - which by definition of a/d makes the map seem very good. I just didn't enjoy it all that much. Defending first was pretty great honestly, attacking first seemed /okay/, defending second seemed kinda dull, and attacking second seemed okay. I felt like defending second was dull I guess because I couldn't really make pushes out into the controlled areas without getting shot in the back from the massive space near the first point. The only thing I could do defending second was clear the bottom room near the dropdown, but then no one went in there since I would kill them all the time :p. Perhaps give a small buff to defenders on the side where the long low hall is on second, so that I can defend there in a safer position (perhaps not defend the hall, per se, but just stay over in that area for a longer period of time). Also perhaps make it easier to jump from the spawn area to the base up near the traintracks with all the windows that blue uses as a forward - I can clear it out occasionally but it never really feels that satisfying cause blue just runs down the lengthy bridges and then they're too far away for me to attack. So maybe that's an issue too: make it appear safer for blue to build up and stay in the area just before the bridge (from defender perspective) so I dont attack and then not feel satisfied doing so. So yeah, overall it was made very well, and fits the definition of a "good" a/d map, but I can't say I had many satisfying fights playing on the map.
Technical: A
Fun: B
Total: 87 + 77 / 2 = 82

koth_alex76:
we mentioned in-game that the side routes could use improving and can be by directing them more towards the middle bits instead of just bypassing them. speaking of which, the middle area did feel like it was hard to take back because none of the entrances felt like a viable option to takedown people on those side ramps up near the crates.
Technical: B
Total: 75 + 75 / 2 = 75

arena_bakscratch:
The only game I played on this had six players total including me, which played alright. I felt the sightlines across mid were pretty scary (you see a sniper on the other side, you get away as fast as you can) and I felt the upstairs areas were pretty dominating. We voted to extend the time when we played so we played for a while, and the leading strategy was to go up from spawn, across the beams, and directly to the protected-height-with-healthpacks upstairs areas and just find and kill the people on the ground. It was a cool place to roam around but the sightlines were pretty killer, no pun intended, and the upper floor was pretty OP (I'd just re/move the healthpacks from up there - there was a lot of health). It was detailed pretty nicely but the observer cams were hard to tell apart since the bases looked basically the same from a high perspective (the roofs would then take up 60% of the scene).
Fun: B-
Total: 83 + 73 / 2 = 78

cp_bereth:
I wrote my opinion of the map in feedback a while ago but then you didn't change much of anything to combat that opinion, so mine is essentially the same as it was the first time I tested it: it's too open, it's too hard to attack last, the only reason last ever gets capped is cause red is disinterested in defending (they got bored), first is okay cause its different - we need different strategies to cap it.
Technical: C-
Fun: C
Total: 63 + 65 / 2 = 64

arena_berry:
it's a joke map and it's just like your last joke map! so I guess I feel obliged to give my opinion: it's boring, it doesn't really incorporate tf2 gameplay (its medieval mode?). you're missing textures, yadda yadda, its meh, I dont enjoy it.
Technical: C-
Fun: D-
Total: 61 + 52 / 2 = 56.5

cp_berry:
I suppose overall it was bad, but sorta okay. First was actually not that bad, I wasn't a big fan of the one-way door that had no visibilty from either side that led directly to the point. It meant that someone could shoot you in the back without you even knowing they were there, or that you could flank second in a hearbeat and not be stopped at all easily (otherwise, first was okay). Attacking second was pretty lame cause it was hard and throwing myself at the enemy sentries through the shitty opening you gave me out of the one-way door sucked, attacking the cliff side route sucked cause you're always at a disadvantage - you can even just as easily be knocked off the side by a pyro. Defending second I saw some scouts who took the lower route and managed to get a kill before they died, but then they kept just dying in the same spots anyway. The game never changed on second - it was always just blue smacking their faces into red and dying. I've read a bit about good games (and noticed the good maps) have a 'meta' where everyone playing notices the leading advantage, and then everyone attempts to do that, and then someone else sees this and trys a counter advantage and beats the original strategy. It would keep looping and the 'meta' would keep shifting - which creates a lot of discussion and a lot of fun things for the player to figure out. The first point on this map sorta has that - its pretty hard to exit first without an uber, perhaps make it easier to attack; but second on this map doesn't have that 'meta' of game changing rules seemingly at all (at least in the tests I played in) which made it just boring. I'd recommend trying to figure out a way to introduce new strategies for the attacking team. If this is a first stage of many for the map, then obviously scale it appropriately.
Technical: C
Total: 66 + 63 / 2 = 64.5

pl_crash:
Overall it played alright, the detail of first was really great for 72 hours, the ice looks awesome. I like the ideas that you used for the forward spawn as well. Last played the best out of the points, but contrariwise first got boring the fastest. I guess what I didn't like about it was that all the exits coming out of the spawn felt sorta lackluster. perhaps make the dock route end higher up (cause it starts higher up) so blue has some interesting ground to cover if they want. I could definitly see some cool-ass 3d skybox with fog and beacons and things making me feel like it was a hostile and far-away oasis out in the cold that blue wanted to bring down, so yeah, it has potential to be cooler.
Technical: A+
Total: 92 + 74 / 2 = 83

cp_dark:
I left feedback notes on how I felt about a lot of it so I won't need to recap it here, but overall it felt too linear, like someone mentioned in-game that the only routes onto C were chokes! and also it was too difficult to push past the route under the glass windows (I think that was B?).
Technical: C+
Total: 68 + 65 / 2 = 66.5

cp_fish:
other people's opinions of this seemed to be that it was chokey, and it did resemble dustbowl a lot, but I enjoyed it enough. I'd say first stage was great other than the really easy way to red respawn from the right flank for blue on 1-2. 2-1 was pretty great honestly, it had the cool lower flank that gave positions to take out the sentries but funneled all the spam so it was risky to take, the high route was longer so took more time to traverse. 2-2 was pretty funky though, blue never really seemed to take it. I'd make the right flank for blue (the long hallway with the small medpack) more noticeble cause it wasn't at first - it didn't attract many people down that route. I'd also increase red respawntime on 2-2, cause it was an endless stream of red guys there. I liked the cool ideas you had, I liked how well it played, I didn't really like the huge doors that opened and closed rapidly and destroyed my rockets as I retreated after I shot, I didn't really like 2-2, otherwise it was good.
Technical: B+
Total: 79 + 76 / 2 = 77.5

cp_frozen:
2nd is too lengthy, and it stalemated since ownership of the points went back and forth about six times. Maybe Im crazy for liking those things (cause I seem to on other maps) but honestly I had a lot of fun playing it. Maybe someone should make a gamemode where you have to constantly retake points in a linear map, throw all the "reject" 5cap maps into that and then get a cool-ass server going. Back to the point though, yeah it was fun, I liked attacking last a lot, I liked that the high route that lead up to it only lead to the high area of the front room, which meant that you could get a hold of the base but if you wanted to push forwards more you'd need to decide if you wanted to go super low or through the front door, which took a lot of guessing and planning which was tons of fun. I'm not sure of the ways of the breaking of stalemates, but perhaps shortening 2nd, and slightly increasing spawn wave times of people on last (by a second or something) could crush the stalemates (Im sure there's a better way, but there's an idea. maybe talk to Phi about 5cap, he's good at that).
Fun: A-
Total: 78 + 82 / 2 = 80

koth_fredrik:
there was a lack of focus in the map, the routes didnt flow to the point and there were lots of little sideways routes that seemed dangerous and silly. the geometry for buildings also could use some refinement; it was kinda clunky. it seemed that whoever capped mid was not able to secure it for very long unless they could push out and spawn camp the other team, which they managed to do fairly easily it seemed - without repercussion. that could have been the players during the tests though, so that might not be your fault.
Technical: B-
Total: 73 + 73 / 2 = 73

koth_garuda:
Pretty cool map, but hard to stay alive in mid, or on the point. Im not sure anyone understood the door mechanic. Not many people seem go to the bridge (opposite of point) side of the map, I think its cause no one really notices it, they know it exists but their eye will catch a glimpse of the point-route and no alternatives. seems too easy for one team to just ruin the other's offensive, maybe they can get too good a hold on the enemy base. hard to make use of demoman weapons, there arent many places where im lower than my target, just the bridges which are sniper/spy territory which isnt that exciting for a demoman to take care of. make bridge area more action-y, clip things like the spawn door steps, organise flow better, make mechanic make sense or remove it.
Fun: C+
Total: 72 + 69 / 2 = 70.5

koth_grizzly:
the middle area was too hard to retake it seemed, I was always on the team that controlled mid so I cant say that for certain but I heard it a few times from the opposing players so either Im 2good4them, they're 2bad4me, or the map is at fault. enough jokes, I liked the middle, but I thought the roof above the point was too overpowered, it could see the entire middle section and you were well out of view from most entrances into the middle room. I like the middle top, but maybe just make it more accessable somehow, not sure. or like granary and make it so you could get up to those high heights of the side areas faster and safer potentially.
Total: 78 + 72 / 2 = 75

cp_icecrystal:
its okay. defending last seems to suck cause it seems one of the doors doesnt work - the door that leads from spawn to the room holding the final capture point, not sure if that was intentional. Also I think the same spawnroom is broken earlier in the map, like you can enter into it as red but you cant leave until first is capped, something along those lines. The map plays alright overall, it lead us in the right directions, so it plays better than Steel in my opinion, but maybe that first capture point was a little bit too inspired by Steel cause it looks sorta just like it but ends up playing worse. I think I got bored at one point, which is usually a sign that the map lacks height, and stressfullness (things that interest me, as well as a few others) so keep those two things in mind (cp_blorav does those excellently imo).
Total: 68 + 68 / 2 = 68

cp_idolon:
I heard you want this taken seriously sorta, or at least you want some sorta-serious feedback on it, but nobody seemed to play it seriously. When I played it, we all instinctively went medieval mode and just had demoknight fights since the map was silly by definition. If you're looking for feedback on the gamemode, I'd say it's an interesting idea but makes most of the map irrelvant if the last point to capture is far to the left or right. It could have just been the small number of players at the time, but at the time it just felt like silly wasted space. I guess it was an okay idea, and I did laugh at the sillyness of the map, but that's about it really.
Technical: C
Total: 65 + 65 / 2 = 65

ctf_Kaptunkul:
upstairs was overpowered, but too dark and hard to find. cool idea, it worked out well once people knew what was going on, but then as we really started to get a hang of it, it became too hard for blue to win unless red was distracted by breaking the map boundaries along the fences outside.
Total: 72 + 68 / 2 = 70

ctf_karmapolice:
It's a bit cramped, and the huge change in colours of going from lower blue to lower red is horrendous on the eyes, but overall I enjoyed playing on the map. I liked that since it was tight indoors you compensated and gave us more healthpacks! I liked the map layout in general, and I liked that we had tons of options as we ran with the flag through hostile enemy territory, but those many routes also seemed to give the attacking team many places to hide and make it difficult for the defenders to even exit their base after the point was capped. I might even suggest making it so the defenders get a small amount of crits when the attackers plant the flag, just to help clear out the foes left in your base. It was fun, hectic, but maybe a bit too cramped in areas (the truck area outfront comes to mind). Also you probably could have detailed it slightly unless you were really short on time.
Fun: A
Total: 75 + 88 / 2 = 81.5

cp_leprecan:
The map had some weird linear gameplay going on, cause there were sniper sightlines that could see every entrance route going to last - which made it impossible for blue to push forward - which made red able to keep first even after they lost it - which made the map get boring pretty quickly. I liked first though, I liked the fast dangerous stairwell up high next to the point, it was tense holding that even as demoman (who is supposed to be good at that stuff) so you're doing somethign right with that. the ramps leading to the high areas of second were also kinda meh, it seemed almost innapropriate to give someone on blue such an easy route that completely overlooked last, so I'd say make that more difficult for blue to take - give red a way up - make it more of a power position for red to take. Overall it got boring cause second was kinda broken but first was neat so it wasn't bad.
Total: 68 + 68 / 2 = 68

cp_mlj:
cool geometry, but its too much ground to cover in general. the middle route was interesting that it doesn't fully open until the associated capture points are as well. it ends up being a cool forward base for blue, but red seemed to also be able to simply take it and just ruin blue's hope to take C. C also capped instantly, which Im sure you know by now.
Total: 75 + 65 / 2 = 70

pl_player:
The map was pretty dark everywhere, which was lame cause it made it really hard to see snipers and spys and hard to tell my team from the enemy team, but it also looked pretty dang cool. I wish you could have cool looks + doesnt ruin gameplay but apparently we can't. The geometry of the map was interesting, I liked the areas that we fought though. But as YM said in one of the playtests, the gameplay seemed to be a constant push to the end - which was okay, but it seemed red was never able to defend a point until last which would just fall slower than the others. Also your dang final point hole thing was uncovered and I think it killed like ten people every round who accidentally fell in, it was pretty annoying. :|
Total: 72 + 78 / 2 = 75

koth_roflman:
actually a pretty neat idea for a koth map for 'prep up'. I feel like the second stage was a bit flat in the middle area around the point, like as a heavy you could drop down into that section but had no protection against snipers anywhere (except using your medic as a human shield). I liked the side route that went onto the roof building near the point - that was fun to jump up and over. I liked the idea that the first stage counted the clock down faster - you could make the first stage harder to cap (cause it was easily spammed) and then just pump up the timer it ticks down (like from 2 seconds to 4 seconds, or something like that).
Total: 75 + 67 / 2 = 71

cp_squintik:
I found it kinda boring to be honest, you wait for the capture point to open and that's realy it for like 4 minutes? yeah, kinda boring, nothing really happens or even seems to really matter up until then since you can just make a solid push after sitting in spawn for four minutes, or make a solid push for four minutes and then just not do enough in that last moment where it counts. I guess if that's what you were going for - good job, but eh.
Fun: D+
Total: 76 + 58 / 2 = 67

plr_taka:
The opening of the map is a neat idea, I really like that everybody seems to immedietly recognize what's going on and and that stressful one minute of "lol, well, what do I do?" is pretty funny and fun. Beyond the first minute of setup time and the game plays out into an open flat plate of food you dont really like that much but eat anyway cause you dont want to make your host think his food is bad. the first area is really open, the last area is really open, the middle of the track area isnt that open but its still on the edge of the map and theres a ton of walkways above it no one seemed to use. the open areas in the setup area go unused completely after the start of the round, which is kinda silly. you should make the cart track loop back on itself like a u-turn and go right past the setup area again. also cut down on the length of the map - it was too big which made the map not feel focused. edit: I feel like this isn't enough information, I posted a lot of how I felt in your feedback thread though.
Total: 66 + 74 / 2 = 70

cp_trotim:
pretty cool idea for mid, which I enjoyed playing actually, it could probably use some more height variation around there though - like how granary has the high route across the tops of the point for scouts/jumpingclasses, or badlands for the bridge underneith for spys - just variation of travel would have made it a more interesting area. Last capped pretty easily it seemed, and I made note of that in the feedback so you probably have seen that by now. the idea for the game being reset was pretty cool, and it should fix the gamemode, but in a subjective point of view I felt that when it happaned I almost sighed that we'd have to redo it all again. that we'd have to attempt our messy strategies and be bored some more. it would be cooler if you made 2nd more enclosed, pump up the stress, pump up the lighting cause it made me tired like when your history teacher shuts off the lights in class and you're already low on sleep and the AC is blowing air in your eyes so you cant keep them open cause they're drying out and you're like "fuck" as your eyes start to close and you're saying to yourself on the inside "at least just turn on the lights, man", but you cant cause that would be weird and you gotta keep your composure infront of all these people you dont like... Anyway. lights, stress, travel in mid, defending last, cool.
Total: 75 + 73 / 2 = 74

koth_vacon:
its fun, nicely detailed too. the only issue I noticed was that no one really seemed to want to go down to the point, I'm not sure how you'd fix that since everything seemed to be in place. Perhaps make the side routes feel less attractive - cuase if I recall nearly everyone went into that full healthpack sideroute at the start of the game except for the people who forced themselves to do otherwise.
Fun: B+
Total: 88 + 78 / 2 = 83

pl_waffe:
Honestly, it's ridiculous. I had heard it was "impossible for blue to win" and "confusing" before I played the map, so going in I was interested, but warrentedly hessitant. It confused me at first why when blue (us) capped the first point that our spawn moved just behind it (a worse position to spawn than our original spawn) because it was faster and safer to just be where we were before. It was then mega-difficult to push out of that new-terrible-spawn and the game ended there. Switched teams, I didn't care for the map at this point cause it screwed me over and we pretty much let them roll, and then we realised that even if though they capture last, that doesn't mean anything because the map just gets reset instantly and another cart pops out at the start of the track. And that loops. And blue can't win afterall, it seems. So, overall, interesting idea, just executed in a way that made me hate the map and not want to play.
Fun: D+
Total: 72 + 58 / 2 = 65

cp_xzzy:
the walls, as you know, have pretty meh clipping, points probably too close together, it looks good though for a 72 hour map. you need more routes between the points - there was only a single door (ignoring the unlcipped wall) to attack it - which made it very dangerous to attempt to go recap 2nd was you lost it, which usually meant it was a slow crawl to the end of the round whenever one team started attacking last. you should introduce more defending positions on last as well, since all of them were out in the open.
Total: 69 + 73 / 2 = 71

cp_yacan:
map feels too open, too hard for blue to cap 2nd cause their respawn time is 2x as long if not more than it needs to be. the whistle is a satisfying noise when first is capped so ther'es that. The areas felt alright but there was a lot of flat open ground which made heavies and scouts really not useful, especially in the last few rooms up until the final point. kinda dark in the left (from blue perspective) flank onto last. should decrease walking times from spawn -> spawn, was just that every time I respawned Id think "wow this is a far distance", back to the front lines.
Total: 73 + 69 / 2 = 71

pl_ym:
the map is very open, Ive read some people like that, but it does not serve gameplay too well cause we were getting demomen who would launch from their spawn to our spawn and kill us in 2 seconds from the start of the match, and snipers would could walk 5ft out of their spawn and camp last - which is kinda lame. it does mean maybe that I have to use that "I hope he misses" tactic more, which does come in handy, but it's kinda silly. although the areas were pretty vertically open which meant pretty awful gameplay, it was pretty sweet to look at to be honest. I liked exploring the red base, how some routes spiralled upwards into the cliffside and led me to the right positions, it was just cool to wander around. as Im sure youll hear in both these feedbacks and the ones through the site, the silent trains were ridiculous, and that the one train goes right infront of the blue forward spawn (spawn, hear no bells, walk out of door, get run over by 120mph train, :| ). also for red people, no one seemed to use the lower exit of spawn to defend the point, it was a pretty far walk away. also speaking again of pretty far, the last area is pretty silly-ly open, which meant really weird battles cause pyros were basically useless, minisentries were still as powerful as they were (less aoe damage cause no walls), and no one could defend beyond the balconies. So, it was cool looking, fun to just wander around in and explore, but it didnt serve up much enjoyable gameplay moments that made me laugh or gasp in awe, mostly just things like "man, these snipers." or "I didnt even see the guy who market gardened me".
Total: 86 + 73 / 2 = 79.5

Notable mentions:
Aly
Vacon
Frozen
Karmapolice
Crash
Fish

My top picks:
Vacon, Crash, Aly

So, that was fun, more work than the last 72 I think, mostly cause we got so many entries. I think people appreciate getting honest feedback of their maps, but I think making everyone finalists also makes it weary on the testers of the maps. Like people leaving cause they didn't want to play specific maps based on how the rounds went previously. Or people leaving cause they had already played the nextmap, but maybe not some other. So Im not sure what a good fix for that is, or if we should just continue with it. We'll think of something no doubt.

Last edited:

squintik

L2: Junior Member
Sep 9, 2009
I guess I won't vote because I only had the time to properly test less than half of the maps. (I had a look at some others alone or with just a few people on the server, but it didn't give me a good idea of the maps)
Anway, I'll just leave the notes I wrote in case it might be useful to someone :

- arena_bakscratch_72_2
Some sightlines seems to be too long, but overall the layout is nice for trying to surprise enemies and combat is nicely spread all around the building and inside it.
Connections between the 2 floors could be better. (in part because of that, some classes like heavy are not really suited for this map)
Nice idea for the CP arriving by train. (which fits the Prep Up theme)

- arena_berry_72 (barely tested)
Well, just a silly map I guess :)

- ctf_karmapolice_72_2
Very 2-Fort like, the number of rooms/connections seems to be right, but a lot of areas feels too cramped.
I also find the layout too symetrical (not BLU/RED which is normal, but left/right) and the flow could be improved (u-turn after the spawn, some U-turn stairs too).

- cp_aly_72_4 (barely tested)
It seems to be a solid base for a map, although it probably lacks some more distinct areas to give it some more flavor and break the repetitive feelign of going from a medium-sized desert area to a medium room to a medium desert outdoor, etc...
Not a big fan of all the long narrow paths you have (catwalks along the cliff, wood boards) and maybe the CP A looks like more an access/path than an important place to control/fight.
Anyway, I didn't have the possibility to play online on it and there was not a lot of time to make these maps, so good job overall !

- cp_bereth_72 (barely tested)
I don't like the flow from BLU spawn to A (always changing direction, never seeing A unless you're next to it, too many giant ramps).
The map basically feel like 2 giant cubic areas (around A and B) and an indoor transition to separate them :/
Perhaps play more with different scale and different shapes (nature/industrial/giant/small/narrow/wide/long/clean/messy/etc...) to give more identity and theme to various parts of the map.

- cp_berry_72 (barely tested)
I like the first area (outdoor and small indoors nearby) but I'm not a fan of the next parts.
Some areas feel too cramped I think, and the map flow not very well for RED (although it seems better for BLU).

- cp_dark_72_3b (barely tested)
I really like several areas in the map, and it's a good idea to be able to see A from B so that you can decide what to do when defending.
Perhaps a little bit confusing in general (after moving around in the map for several minutes, the general structure of the map is not clear to me).

- cp_fish_72_2 (barely tested)
It looks like a good map overall, with interesting flanking/defending options (at least when looking at it alone, I didn't have a chance to test it in multi).
Nothing special to say, apart from beware of the crazy long corridor you've got near 2-2.

- cp_frozen_72_4
Mid feels like a chokepoint and lacks more space/paths/possibilities, but overall, the rest of the layout seems to be working nicely.
While being in each area (around CP 1 or 2 or 3), I feel too exposed in general. It would probably be more interesting with more covers and separate your area with small areas. (adding more height variations perhaps, or adding small walls to have some safer places)

- cp_icecrystal_72 (not tested)

- cp_idolon_72_2 (barely tested)
Respawning on cap doesn't really work for me (frustrating if you are in the middle of a combat, or just missing a few secondes to finish capping another CP, etc...).
The CP being in two parts (cap C) can be interesting, but I guess it should stay really easy to understand. (perhaps just having the grate floor and the CP both above and below, not with intermediary floor and tons of walkways)
The layout seems too complex/chaotic (although it's quite small), because it doesn't look like anything existing (buildings, outdoor area, factory, ...) and there's probably too many connections/floors everywhere.

- cp_leprecan_72
Layout feels too chaotic and doesn't flow nicely. It's hard to understand what is happening (are most of RED dead ? where is the rest of the team).
I think it would be more interesting to better define areas (for example having a big open area with small obstacles only, small indoor corridors, etc...).
It would help players better understand the various possibilities of the map while also having something visually more logical.

- cp_mlj_72_3 (not tested)

- cp_trotim_72_4
I like the CP timer and reset on fail thing, it's different enough while still being easy to understand and not chainging the whole TF2 gameplay.
However, I don't really like the layout around this last CP and I think it should allow more possibilities to both attack and defend it. (which would fit more with an urgent context)
The 2nd CP is also clearly too hard to defend and the layout around it needs more movemement possibilities (for both sides).

- cp_xzzy_72
Needs more variation in the gameplay areas (feels too much like a long big corridor just turning around).
It would be more interesting to have some areas with more obstacles or some indoor areas while having other more wide for example.
This could help have the map more friendly to some classes (pyro, spy, heavy for example)
And it needs more alternate paths to flank /surprise enemies (even more for the last CP where there's one single chokepoint as a single access)

- cp_yacan1_72_a1 (not tested)

- dm_egan_72 (not tested)

- koth_alex76_72
Defending the point is too easy after capping it. The other team should have better ways of attacking it.
Fights seems to be too concentrated in the big outdoor area around the CP. (it would be less repetitive with more paths/rooms around this outdoor area where fights would occur)

- koth_fredrik_72
The middle area has some nice potential, but it's the area where everything happens, which makes it quickly repetitive.
The layout feels too linear and the area between the spawn and the middle should be more interesting.
Also, indoor areas feels too cramped.

- koth_garuda_72 (not tested)

- koth_grizzly_72 (not tested)

- koth_rolfman_72 (barely tested)
The very small part for the timer is not intuitive/clear (even more because I joined during the koth game and then saw the other part), but it really fits with the theme and could be fun/stupid with a full server :) (with special rules perhaps, like melee only ?)
The normal KOTH part feels too small and linear to me.

- koth_vacon_72_2
It feels like it's too hard to attack the other side, so all the combat happens only in the middle of the map (the CP and the big room mainly).
It would probably work better with more access to the big indoor room (windows offering new sightlines for example) and perhaps some improvements to the upper floor (catwalks and bridge).
Other than that, the ground floor has some interesting options and the map feels solid overall. (easy to understand the basics, but still enough paths/possibilities to make it fun)

- ol_kaptankul_72
Interesting idea for the game mode, but it's too hard to change the control of the boiler area. (too hard to set up a defense again after it was broken for example)
Players should also be able to block the capture if a RED player is on the point (too easy to sticky jump directly on the point with the fuel)
The indoor part should have more connections between the two floors. Attackers are always either outdoor next to the base wall or in the boiler room.

- pl_crash_72_2 (not tested)

- pl_player_2_72 (not tested)

- pl_waffe_72
A Payload map where you don't care about the payload ? Gnnéé ? (unless there's a way for BLU to win ?)
Layout is nice (some cool areas to flank/fight), but the changing spawn points and the various paths makes it confusing quite often.

- pl_ym_72_2
Nice verticality and some cool areas to fight, but it also feels too open with crazy sightlines and too many possibilities to jump from the beginning to the end. (which makes it really bad for heavy/pyro/engi)
Too long for red to go up the giant stairs at the beginning (better when map is near the end), and the last area (around the track end) feels too big too.
Perhaps feels slightly too generic, but nice job finishing all this with the time limit (big map, detailled, etc...).

- plr_takabuschik_72_2 (not tested)

And just a comment on mine (cp_squintik_72)
Well, I guess the CP unlocking after 5 minutes is just annoying, and the last big area still needs a lot of work ! (I also forgot to change the respawn time, which are not fitting with the map at all ... I guess it's normal when doing this in just a few hours and never testing it on a server)
If I get some time, perhaps I'll try to improve the last area and tweak various timers (respawn times, cap time, etc...) to make it more fast-paced. (or just drop the CP unlock and make it a single CP A/D)
Anyway, I still like the rest of the map and it was fun to use Hammer again :)

Harribo

aa
Nov 1, 2009
I vote for
cp_aly_74_4 - most solid layout in the competition, you prioritized your time for detailing effectively I think.
cp_trotim_72_4 - Most successful implemented idea in a map i.e. the timer for last point
koth_garuda_72 - The best map to come out of nowhere and the one i enjoyed fighting on the most

notable mentions are
dm_egan_72
koth_roflman_72
koth_fredrik_72
cp_leprecan_72

Last edited:

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
Vote 1: cp_trotim_72_4
Vote 2: koth_roflman_72
Vote 3: give half to each or throw it out

They were the only two to do something really unique and new based on the inspiration piece provided. I can't blame everyone else for not doing so because, as we all agree, it was a fairly awful theme. Nonetheless "I have setup time" is a cop out and resulted in not a lot of interesting things.

Others have made better layouts, prettier maps, or smoother gameplay, but in the spirit and goal of the contest I cannot vote for any of them.

Sep 7, 2012
1. Trotim because the house between 2 and 3 was really well executed.
2. Idolon because every time I played it, it was really tense and exciting, which is more than I can say for many of the maps I did not choose (not that they weren't interesting in their own right!). That said, it had a stupid respawn mechanic that almost ruined it for me.
3. Roflman because I get tired of KOTH so it's nice not to have to play the same map for 20 minutes straight, even if it is the same map.

leprecan

L2: Junior Member
Feb 10, 2013
1. koth_roflman_72 - Loved the pregame clock fight. Definitely a unique way to tackle the theme, plus it made every match different as one team or the other had to find a way to work harder to win. Point area and spawns may want tweaking but it felt like a strong and simple koth layout.

2. plr_takabushik_72_2 - Absolutely ridiculous game starts certainly did make each team "Prep up" for when the gates opened. Track route did mean that the defending team had a chance to strike back rather fast too.

3. koth_vacon_72_2 - Loved the strong emphasis on vertical areas and their strengths, and it plays out rather comfortably in practice.

xzzy

aa
Jan 30, 2010
1) pl_crash - Well balanced, good fights that gives all classes room to play their role properly. Feels like it's missing some "fun flair" in a few spots (the stretch between CP1 and CP2 seemed to slow the map down) but further development can fix that. Didn't hear anyone saying anything bad about it, which is why it gets the top vote. It felt more complete than any other map.
2) cp_aly - Really good construction, despite the dev textures you can feel the theme developing. Interesting ideas for fighting areas, some really cool geometry. Want to see the map developed more because the combat was enjoyable and the approaches felt fresh.
3) arena_bakscratch - I don't like arena much but this was fun to fight on and it seems like all classes could do well. It also looks really good. I think long term being arena could hurt it because the game mode is so unpopular, but it doesn't change that this is a good map.

One line review of everyone else in the spoiler, in alphabetical order:
arena_berry - joke map
cp_bereth - Confusing due to vertical design and poor signage. Last point extremely hard to capture. Some okay fighting suggests there's some potential there but it needs work.
cp_berry - Plays badly, defense spawn too open, half the map never sees combat due to bugged door. Point B almost impossible to defend for any length. It got better when the attacking team used the honor system to not use the door, so there is some potential for a good map down the road.
cp_dark - Confusing routes, fighting areas not a lot of fun.
cp_fish - Plays really rough, fights stalemate. Wasn't able to get a solid feel for how the map is "supposed" to play.
cp_frozen - Some good fighting, and I really like the center point. 2nd point seems like it can be a bit of a slugfest so maybe some reworking needed there.
cp_icecrystal - Steel style CP map. First round played poorly, fighting improved as players learned map. Routes confusing for defense, A rarely saw fighting. There is some potential though.. fight over a couple of the points was fun, though the final point was a big of a grindfest.
cp_idolon - Joke entry? Not sure what to think of it, there might be an interesting idea in there with the map reset on point capture. Some fun fighitng spots but some really frustrating ones too.
cp_leprecan - Fighting is fun, but as players learn the map it becomes soldier dominated. Some problems with snipers too. Point capture seemed to be secondary concern, map mostly plays like deathmatch.
cp_mlj - Kind of cramped, offense doesn't get enough time. C is especially hard to break into. The overall design shows promise though.. could be a fun gravelpit style map.
cp_squintik - Layout is too big, absurd lines of sight. Delay mechanic makes map deathmatch with a point capture at the end, defense has no real reason to do much of anything. A few areas had fun fighting so perhaps the layout has promise with a more traditional game mode.
cp_trotim - Interesting mechanic, fighting areas are pretty fun. The final capture point may need more access routes, it got very grindy. 2nd cps were largely irrelevant and teams don't seem to bother defending them.
cp_xzzy - Who made this piece of shit, what a pile of crap. No seriously, it's bad. Literally its best feature is an exploit caused by poor clipping.
cp_yacan1 - Map in general feels too open but it also produced some fun fights. Final point needs a lot of work. Optimizing some of the routes would probably help.
ctf_karmapolice - Promising level design, but it's pretty cramped and chokepoints are everywhere. The play mechanic is good (but I loved neutral ctf in Halo 2 so maybe that's just me).
dm_egan - Crowd favorite, doesn't look pretty but it nails the fun factor. With some tweaks to the control point capture it could be a lot better.
koth_alex76 - Promising koth layout. Only got to play about half of one round so I didn't really get much of a chance to experience it. But I liked what I saw.
koth_fredrik - Unique center point idea. Probably needs a more vertical component as assaulting a defended point is pretty messy. But I think it has potential. Looks pretty too.
koth_garuda - Interesting koth idea. Center point may be too easy to defend but I like the progressive doors idea. Maybe reset doors on capture?
koth_grizzly - Map feels a little cramped but the connectivity is a lot of fun, especially for spies. I like the center point design but it may have some balance issues.
koth_roflman - The "pre koth round," though an interesting idea, was extremely confusing for players. The main koth area produced some fun fighting so the map has potential as a normal koth map. May be a little too friendly to scouts but it's hard to say without more play tests.
koth_vacon - Really good koth map. The rising point mechanic doesn't add much to the play (players start to avoid it once they acclimate to the map) but it is a fun intro to the map. Fighting is kind of a slugfest but it's pretty darn fun.
ol_kaptankul - Map is a hot mess, was impossible to play test once players found clipping problems that let them escape the map. The assault style mode has some potential but the map layout needs work.
pl_player - Super chokepointy. Some parts make for fun fighting but it seems like every corner is another sentry nest to deal with.
pl_waffle - Pretty, fighting areas are fun. objective seems broken, just turns into deathmatch.
pl_ym - One of the better looking maps with some promising ideas for fighting areas, but connectivity needs work. Defense has too far to run, both teams get absurd sniper advantages in different areas. For a map as open as this one it plays surprisingly well but the spawn rooms and lines of sight need work. Turns into a soldier and sniper war once players learn the map.
plr_takabuschik - Opening fight is a fun gimmick, rest of the map is a little hard to fight in. Very flat and can see long distances with poor cover.

RedRumUGC

L1: Registered
Feb 16, 2013
I played all 30 maps a while ago and want to say thanks to everyone that participated! Watching some of the live streams in the process was very cool! Thanks Fubar for giving me that link :p

1. arena_bakscratch_72_2
This map has a great flow to it, especially in the early stages. The server had 16 people when I played it and I was impressed. I hate arena maps, but this is one of the better arena maps I’ve played in TF2. Basic layout, not confusing, easy to see other team, and the size is perfect for arena. The fights were pretty fast which is what arena should be. There’s a few minor things that can be fixed. I can’t wait to playtest the koth version of this Saturday with bakscratch and 2 HL teams. Should be fun!

2. koth_vacon_72_2
Vacon has a very unique design for a koth map. When I first played it, I was thinking it would work very well in 4vs4s. It has a nice flow, but for a smaller group of people. The drop down above point is a really neat concept. We actually playtested it last Saturday night with two 4v4s teams. Vaconcovat was there in mumble with us, as well as IceCrystal playing for one of the teams. A few minor things to be fixed, but everyone really enjoyed it. I can see this being a staple map once things are tweaked out on it. One of the fastest maps I’ve seen in TF2, really great flow to it. Hopefully 4vs4s will open up more doors for mappers to try new things because the gamemode is using maps that are suited for 6s or HL which doesn’t really fit well.

3. pl_crash_72_2
Probably one of the most creative maps in this contest! Prep up men I knew I would see trains all over the place which is great, but a submarine? Are you kidding me? How cool is that! I really love some of the ideas you did here Crash. Thinking outside the box is great! I’m not a fan of snow maps, but this is probably pushing the limit for me. It feels like snow, but you designed it with the ice, skybox, snow patches and not full snow. I really like that, felt like a tundra atmosphere which is pretty neat. The layout was pretty solid for an early stage pl. Payload is one of the hardest maps to get right. There’s some things that you need to fix before getting into playtesting it heavily. Hopefully you keep updating this!

Some others I wanted to point out in no order that I saw was pretty neat

dm_egan_72
The potential is very high for it being a new gamemode and it’s really fun.

pl_ym_72_2
The general layout is pretty solid. It reminds me of an opposite version of pl_upward. I think if you had solid choke areas for red to defend and limit the sniper sightlines it would be a lot better. The width of the tracks across bridge and down the hill near last point, needs to be wider imo. Hopefully you keep updating this. I love pl!

cp_trotim_72_4
The capping concept could actually work. That’s a pretty neat idea where 5cp can be really stalemate at times in pub or comp.

cp_xzzy_72
The idea of having the points closer is really good. I would take a look at Fubar’s cp_vanguard to get a feel where it needs to be. It can work especially in HL if you did it right, most 5cp maps are just way too long for it.

cp_icecrystal_72
This reminds me of cp_steel a lot. It might be a little confusing at the moment, but I can actually seeing it maybe better than steel. Steel can be very confusing for a new player and cp_icecrystal has more space compared to steel which is really nice. It will need tweaking a bit.

cp_idolon_72_2
I really like the humor in this one. I wasn’t expecting that and some interesting concepts that you normally don’t see.

pl_waffe_72
The layout is pretty solid. It’s a bit confusing at times, but those are pretty easy fixes. It’s a pretty neat map, hopefully you keep updating it. I wouldn’t mind playing it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.