Team Fortress 2 Update Released

Vel0city

func_fish
aa
Dec 6, 2014
I honestly think, instead of including Highlander they could try 4v4, could be a nice alternative.
I just don't see 9v9 working in the grand scheme of things, keeping 18 people in a server will be genuinely impossible, given that the game is also free to play and that they will eventually have to open it up to appease people.
Keeping 10 people in a csgo server and not having them smurf, cheat, abandon, be extremely toxic or more is a nightmare.
6v6 is hard enough, but 9v9? Keep dreaming.
I mean, people have been wanting some form of ranked competitive mode for a long time now. Assuming that you need some sort of paid pass similar to campaigns in order to even get in (and indeed a minimum playtime of TF2, hopefully x amounts of hours per class so you at least get the basics of the class you want to play in matchmaking), if you pay for something that you genuinely wanted for so long only to be a Hoovy/troll/cheat the only person you're doing harm to is yourself. You'll be voted off by people who do want a good time playing serious in like 5 seconds.

Something like a 3 strike you're out system should be introduced at some point, temporarily banning people for lets say a week before letting them back in, and if they get voted off 3 more times after that it's a permanent ban from matchmaking. This should at least help keep most of the Hoovies/trolls/cheats out (that and the fact the pass itself costs money). You'll always have the trolls around, no doubt about that. But this should at least discourage them.

9v9 is confirmed to be in matchmaking, as the option to play 9v9 is currently greyed out in the menus, so it's coming at some point. After that who knows. If there's enough demand for it I'm sure it'll get added at some point.

Lain

lobotomy success story
aa
Jan 8, 2015
I mean, people have been wanting some form of ranked competitive mode for a long time now. Assuming that you need some sort of paid pass similar to campaigns in order to even get in (and indeed a minimum playtime of TF2, hopefully x amounts of hours per class so you at least get the basics of the class you want to play in matchmaking), if you pay for something that you genuinely wanted for so long only to be a Hoovy/troll/cheat the only person you're doing harm to is yourself. You'll be voted off by people who do want a good time playing serious in like 5 seconds.

Something like a 3 strike you're out system should be introduced at some point, temporarily banning people for lets say a week before letting them back in, and if they get voted off 3 more times after that it's a permanent ban from matchmaking. This should at least help keep most of the Hoovies/trolls/cheats out (that and the fact the pass itself costs money). You'll always have the trolls around, no doubt about that. But this should at least discourage them.

9v9 is confirmed to be in matchmaking, as the option to play 9v9 is currently greyed out in the menus, so it's coming at some point. After that who knows. If there's enough demand for it I'm sure it'll get added at some point.

This is exactly what happens in CSGO fyi. People have to buy the game ($15) and then have to play the casual mode for at least 50 hours to get to the in-game level to play matchmaking, then they have to buy cheats. Yet this does not stop people.

Plus there already is a casual mode much better than the proposed MM system anyways, TF2Center. 300 hours minimum to even play (which is honestly the point you become competitively competent at this game), and leaders of the group get to look over your profile BEFORE the game is matched, so that anyone that is obviously a cheater/greifer will be kicked and banned from that lobby. Plus if someone leaves a game in-progress, someone else can instantly take their spot. There is no such feature in matchmaking as of now.

MaccyF

Notoriously Unreliable
aa
Mar 27, 2015
Plus there already is a casual mode much better than the proposed MM system anyways, TF2Center.

I expect TF2Center is going to become akin to a sort of lower skill level version of tf2pug.me, with a lot of regulars and not much of anyone else. Everyone looking for a casual comp game will just use MM instead

fubarFX

The "raw" in "nodraw"
aa
Jun 1, 2009
also, this is undocumented but the collision mesh for prop_mvm/construction_light02 has been updated.
construction_light02.jpg
edit: wait no that didn't happen, I'm a dummy

Last edited: