Made by Freyja and EArkham
The KOTH version of this map is working well. Very beautiful map, nice work!
I'm still not liking those cherry blossom trees. Yeah, they're beautiful and all, but they look so... flat. I have no idea how you could go about improving them; I've never seen good-looking deciduous trees in any TF2 custom map, frankly.
arena_suijin_rc2 Showcase Stuff:
+ Liked that it was open so there were lots of variations in routes people could take, made the map still feel fresh even after prolonged playtime.
+ Playing on the rooftops around mid was very enjoyable.
- The dominating strategy evolved into controlling the point building as quickly as possible and ignoring the rest of the map, since it's difficult to counter a point-rush (with inevitable sentry guns) apart from rushing it as well. Maybe having the front doors (but not the one leading to waterfall) closed off until the point is enabled could hinder easy control of the area - force people to go through the waterfall route or the upper bridge section. This may also make people feel more safe when they exit into the area - could make the bridge a more used route at the start of the round.
- Some weird clips around the rooftop, very small issue. Wrote about it in the feedback more.
- It didn't seem like many people went to the cliff building at the beginning of the round, maybe just too scary as its quite open and this is arena mode.
+ The map looks really great, and it could definitely be inspirational for detailing.
- Players sometimes would blend in with the rooftop textures, they look good but maybe they're too saturated. It's not a big deal though.
- Bad FPS near waterfall and at spawn, the latter wasn't much of an issue but the waterfall was probably the most active combat place.
We're going to add this map into the showcase. Its detail alone is worthwhile enough; it's definitely one of the best looking maps that has come from this site. The gameplay was decent, however the FPS drop near the waterfall was noticeably annoying to fight in.
I love the irony of it being a peaceful Chinese garden that's filled with 20 or so mercenaries fighting to the death.
But seriously, the point remains.
HEY THIS SCREENSHOT WAS TAKEN INSIDE A DISPLACEMENT, ALY THOUGHT SHE WAS BEING SNEAKY:
credit to idolon for noticing.
To celebrate Suijin making it into the map showcase, I made a sexy new video showcase of it! Including depth of field, rockets, and lots of awesomeness
Was running eyefinity for lols.
Took some panoramic screenshots.
This is such a beautiful map. It's very inspirational Good job.
Been playing around with the KOTH map and absolutely, positively adore it. Makes for a fun medieval mode.
I think it would be awesome to run magic spells on this map, too. If you do another update, would you consider placing a tf_spell_pickup entity, say, in the outer dojo right on the cliff, center of the room where there's a lot of empty space? I think it would be a cool way to encourage that flank route for anyone enabling magic spells.
Fantastic job. This is by far my favorite custom map.
This map is really well made. I liked the sounds you placed in too.
Maybe add a soothing background music?
This map would surely be awesome for a trade map too. Maybe add a few sniping and engineer spots. That would be very very awesome. With some cool features too.
I didn't see a thread for the KOTH version of the map but congrats on KOTH Suijin going official.
This thread doubles as the thread for the koth version.
Congrats! Couldn't have happened to a better mapper.
Agreed, you've been creating great maps for years now. It's about time.
Valve doesn't run any arena servers, until that change I doubt they would ever buy an arena map.
Is this still hell for people without next-gen PCs, or did Valve figure out a clever way to optimize it?
As far as I know, they didn't do any optimisations.
2 things. One, congrats on getting the map official, two, does this mean the Japanese pack is now official, like the Swamp pack?
Separate names with a comma.