May 4, 2010
This is how they got in.

Fvr8W.jpg

EArkham

Necromancer
aa
Aug 14, 2009
Spotted this being passed around: --removed image link, is claimed to be fake--

Dunno about authenticity, but it's true that hashed and salted data can be impossible to crack for all intents and purposes.

Last edited:

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
It is damn irresponsible for Kotaku or whoever to say "Hey, free games? Wouldn't that be nice, hint hint hint?"
For a part i however find it a logical question after what happened to sony. A company as valve shouldnt be harmed too much. These things can happen and they did their best to prevent it. Steamguard was a part of that and it seems to do its job for these cases.

However, as they did fail at security its logical they have to do something for their users as they are getting a risk aswel. Free games is therefor a quite logical thing as its cheap for them so they can save that money to actualy improve their security. And if its good games they can make alot of people happy aswel.
Spotted this being passed around: http://i.imgur.com/IMeWI.png

Dunno about authenticity, but it's true that hashed and salted data can be impossible to crack for all intents and purposes.
Dont know if its allowed to say the site on here but i heared it came from /v/.

but if that info its true then its indeed a good sign. The estimate from some companies is that even the CIA would take 2 years in cracking that info. But who knows if the CIA manipulates that info. It can be 6 months. And they use quite alot of servers for that. But impossible i wouldnt call it. Its exactly why SHA cant be called safe anymore for big companies. Faster computers make older encryptions too easy to crack. Especialy since lately GPUs are being used instead of CPUs.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Spotted this being passed around: http://i.imgur.com/IMeWI.png

The "free copies of Portal 2 and DOTA 2" thing makes me think fake. Offering everyone a free copy of a game that's not even out yet? Yeah right. Or maybe the game was going to be free-to-play anyway and Gabe was making a joke — forgetting that nobody else knows DOTA 2 will be free-to-play yet.

LeSwordfish

semi-trained quasi-professional
aa
Aug 8, 2010
For a part i however find it a logical question after what happened to sony. A company as valve shouldnt be harmed too much. These things can happen and they did their best to prevent it. Steamguard was a part of that and it seems to do its job for these cases.

However, as they did fail at security its logical they have to do something for their users as they are getting a risk aswel. Free games is therefor a quite logical thing as its cheap for them so they can save that money to actualy improve their security. And if its good games they can make alot of people happy aswel.

So you run into a dude on the street and knock him over. A random passer-by says "You should give him some money for that." How is that in any way acceptable behaviour by the passer-by?

Trotim

aa
Jul 14, 2009
oh you guys, it's a joke about how ridiculously cheap games get during steam sales and that gabe-mail (if not fake) is joking about free po2/do2 too

Terwonick

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 25, 2010
The estimate from some companies is that even the CIA would take 2 years in cracking that info. But who knows if the CIA manipulates that info. It can be 6 months. And they use quite alot of servers for that. But impossible i wouldnt call it. Its exactly why SHA cant be called safe anymore for big companies. Faster computers make older encryptions too easy to crack. Especialy since lately GPUs are being used instead of CPUs.

See here, IF the CIA can do something like that, then it's a safe bet that people on the internet did it 2-6 months earlier. I say that because PEOPLE are innovative, and no matter how many people the CIA has under their belt, others are ALWAYS coming up with new ideas before a government organization does. The thing is that people don't have the resources that a honest government organization does, so they can't always do things that a government operation could.

I would never call anything impossible.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I've never gotten anything out of SPUF. None of my ticket queries get answered, nobody uses the mapping forum and when there are active threads 90% of the people involved are certified trolls. So their forums went down? *shrug* no weight off my shouders that they're up again.

-=[D.A.W.H]=-

L1: Registered
Feb 10, 2011
do i get bioshock 2 now? hehe!

im just kidding,but some people expect to get free games after someone has hacked and that makes hackers hack more!

more hacking=more games.

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
-=[D.A.W.H]=-;248292 said:
do i get bioshock 2 now? hehe!

im just kidding,but some people expect to get free games after someone has hacked and that makes hackers hack more!

more hacking=more games.

That... doesn't make slightest bit of sense really.
People need to understand that reason why people got free games on PSN was because Sony did some major fuck ups when dealing with the issue, leading to many people credit card information and other stuff getting into wrong hands without anyone knowing anything.

Verumae

L1: Registered
Jun 16, 2011
See here, IF the CIA can do something like that, then it's a safe bet that people on the internet did it 2-6 months earlier. I say that because PEOPLE are innovative, and no matter how many people the CIA has under their belt, others are ALWAYS coming up with new ideas before a government organization does. The thing is that people don't have the resources that a honest government organization does, so they can't always do things that a government operation could.

I would never call anything impossible.

"CIA is dum internet hakrz r smurtr"