So Cactus Canyon...

ics

http://ics-base.net
aa
Jun 17, 2010
Perhaps making cactus canyon with halloween theme from the start would be a better idea than just remaking the map, if it's really not forgotten by Valve.

I REALLY hope so. I've been wanting to make a space-themed map for a long time. The only thing stopping me from doing so is the lack of blue-colored textures and models available in TF2 (I don't want to use 3rd-party stuff, sorry) since they've only art-passed RED base. Can't go beyond layout for now.

Granted, there is a lack of blu-side stuff available but you can still finish a map with the current stuff. We did it, so why wouldn't you too! :)

Sep 19, 2010
I would be surprised if the combination of those communities of people who are active in them, makes up more than 5% of the whole TF2 playing population at peak (so, ~4k people) and the reach (as in, the amount of people who get told about information posted on those sources via information trickle-down) is maybe 10-15% of the whole population (so, 10-12k people).
I think you're underestimating how many people check /r/tf2.

Valve posted information there about the Competitive Beta, so obviously they see it as a valuable resource. In fact, they chose it over their own website.

Does the entire player base really need to know about the status of Cactus Canyon though? TF2Maps would benefit the most from knowing the situation so mappers here could maybe pick it up as YM was suggesting.

Prolyfic

L5: Dapper Member
Dec 19, 2014
I've started to remake the whole map since Nov 2015 with some stuff (like including the old 2nd stage) but the 2nd stage works like the 3rd one... so I'll, maybe, give you the "new" cactus canyon

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
I think you're underestimating how many people check /r/tf2.

Valve posted information there about the Competitive Beta, so obviously they see it as a valuable resource. In fact, they chose it over their own website.

Does the entire player base really need to know about the status of Cactus Canyon though? TF2Maps would benefit the most from knowing the situation so mappers here could maybe pick it up as YM was suggesting.

That is views, which are much, much different that actual interactions. Interaction is the most important part. We have 16k members, but only around a hundred made at least 1 post in the past week.

Also, Valve posted information about the comp beta on SPUF and Reddit too. Thats not the same as a big roadmap, or status on how things are going. It's information about a new 'feature' rather than information about the status of content. Again, a different beast.

Sep 19, 2010
That is views, which are much, much different that actual interactions. Interaction is the most important part. We have 16k members, but only around a hundred made at least 1 post in the past week.

Also, Valve posted information about the comp beta on SPUF and Reddit too. Thats not the same as a big roadmap, or status on how things are going. It's information about a new 'feature' rather than information about the status of content. Again, a different beast.
Well I would assume a decent portion of people who view a subreddit don't arrive there unintentionally. They may not be interacting (upvoting, commenting, etc.) with the content, but that doesn't mean they don't see it.

Images hosted on Imgur keep track of views and if you look at the top image posts from this week, each of them has over 50,000 (nonunique) views. While those might not all be from /r/tf2, I think it's safe to assume the majority are. This post for example. It only got 1,400 upvotes, but it was viewed 85,000 times on imgur. I highly doubt each person that upvoted that post viewed the image 60 times.

As you mentioned in your other post:
In the whole scheme of things, Reddit/SPUF/Facepunch/TF2M/etc communities are still a small reach in the overall size of the TF2 community. Yes, they are the ones who are the ones who care enough about the game to join a smaller community for it, and give money, but they are no where near the only people who will pay money for the game.
I agree. The TF2 communities are a small portion of the player base, but they're not insignificant. As you said yourself these are the players "who care enough about the game to join a smaller community," meaning they are the ones who want to be informed about the status of things. There is a much larger pool of players who are willing to spend money on the game, but I doubt they care much about the status of Cactus Canyon.

All that being said, if Valve wanted to update us on Cactus Canyon, a blog post would be a fine way to do it. That would trickle down to the communities that care and would turn up in a Google search for anyone not part of those communities.

Fruity Snacks

Creator of blackholes & memes. Destroyer of forums
aa
Sep 5, 2010
Well I would assume a decent portion of people who view a subreddit don't arrive there unintentionally. They may not be interacting (upvoting, commenting, etc.) with the content, but that doesn't mean they don't see it.

Images hosted on Imgur keep track of views and if you look at the top image posts from this week, each of them has over 50,000 (nonunique) views. While those might not all be from /r/tf2, I think it's safe to assume the majority are. This post for example. It only got 1,400 upvotes, but it was viewed 85,000 times on imgur. I highly doubt each person that upvoted that post viewed the image 60 times.

As you mentioned in your other post:

I agree. The TF2 communities are a small portion of the player base, but they're not insignificant. As you said yourself these are the players "who care enough about the game to join a smaller community," meaning they are the ones who want to be informed about the status of things. There is a much larger pool of players who are willing to spend money on the game, but I doubt they care much about the status of Cactus Canyon.

All that being said, if Valve wanted to update us on Cactus Canyon, a blog post would be a fine way to do it. That would trickle down to the communities that care and would turn up in a Google search for anyone not part of those communities.

I probably wasn't super clear, but the posts I made were implying that the smaller communities are NOT insignificant, but looking at things financially, they aren't that big of an impact. That was the whole point I was making with my posts: #of Views doesn't necessarily correlate with number of financial interactions. Yes, there is a correlation, but it's not as high as some people in this thread have, I felt, implied.

Would a blog post help, yea, probably. We can't say that for sure though because we don't know the actual status of CC and Asteroid. Could a blog post hurt? Definitely. Like I believe I said before, it all depends on the status of the maps (and if I didn't say it, then I just did)

JeanPaul

L6: Sharp Member
Aug 5, 2010
When I first saw that catcus canyon reddit thread my intial reaction was how cool it would be to use the existing two stages (1 and 3) as a base and have a competition (or just on your own) to see who can come up with the best second stage using only the previously uploaded versions of the second stage.

Muddy

Muddy
aa
Sep 5, 2014
cactuscleavage.png
oFsFRvq.jpg

Bakscratch

Finisher of Maps
aa
Oct 29, 2010
When I first saw that catcus canyon reddit thread my intial reaction was how cool it would be to use the existing two stages (1 and 3) as a base and have a competition (or just on your own) to see who can come up with the best second stage using only the previously uploaded versions of the second stage.
Inb4 artpass/ gameplay contest for it.

Luigi1000

L2: Junior Member
Dec 12, 2015
I personally think that it needs its issues fixed before anyone goes into any further work on cactus, in its current state its a sorry mess which has potential but still...

FerJox22

L1: Registered
Jul 7, 2014
Perhaps making cactus canyon with halloween theme from the start would be a better idea than just remaking the map, if it's really not forgotten by Valve.

Granted, there is a lack of blu-side stuff available but you can still finish a map with the current stuff. We did it, so why wouldn't you too! :)
Agree. Thanks for sharing the map, looks very cool!

SnickerPuffs

(*single chuckle*)
aa
Apr 10, 2014
Here's a cross-post from the Turbine Re-artpass thread because It's vaguely relevant.

And this goes back to my suggestion a month or 2 ago about "retiring" maps...

... I'll accept this instead. Goodwork.

EDIT: now you got me thinking about seeing if we can get people to redo/update other older maps... fastlane, doublecross, 2fort, pipeline... "TF2 Map enhancement project"...