Snowdrift

CTF Snowdrift b4a

Uriak

L8: Fancy Shmancy Member
Apr 27, 2008
Still not tryed on our 24 server, but I'm little afraid of ninja capping, that happened quite often on the Gameday server. The teams were far from being full, though. This may not be possible with the real thing. As I did'nt check, does the red presence around the capture point prevents the intel to be validated ? If this is so, would it be possible to materialize this denial area ?

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
Still not tryed on our 24 server, but I'm little afraid of ninja capping, that happened quite often on the Gameday server. The teams were far from being full, though. This may not be possible with the real thing. As I did'nt check, does the red presence around the capture point prevents the intel to be validated ? If this is so, would it be possible to materialize this denial area ?

Don't worry about that, that playtest was the worst in a while, it's not always like that. Usually the red team can continue to defend the point if blue manages to ninjacap. Also, no, red can't prevent the intel from spawning, if that's what you mean

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
Mhh, so that explains your fear of airborne intel deliverers ^^
I'm currently very busy with persia but I'll try to have this playtest this week.

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
Fixed?
cap3fix.png

cap3fix2.png

cap3fix3.png

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
To say it's in beta, your buildings are lacking a great deal of detail.

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
Downloadable ?

@Psy : I disagree : it's not overwhelmingly detailled, but many maps around there are in the same level of detail for buildings and put more effort on skybox and such. Plus even in beta state we just don't know how much he's gonna still put in his layout.

Last edited:

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
Awhile back, I posted a screenshot of me on a wood plank sticking out of a wall beneath what looks like a metal door. Right when the map starts, from RED's spawn, take a right after the stairs and on the right side, where the path through a building is, above it is that metal door plank thing. I can get on top of the metal, but not on the plank since you fixed it way back when. Make that prop or brush, whatever it is, nonsolid or playerclip it. I can also jump on the map in RED spawn.

I think I've found all the places I can jump.

Also, in the building before the last point, may I suggest making the lights that hang from the ceiling nonsolid, specially the ones in the low-ceiling'd parts. I was jumping around while being attacked and got stopped.

The buildings you put before the 3rd point to prevent Demo caps - I see wooden beams at the top. Make sure I can't get up there before you release it so you don't have to fix it afterward!

Last edited:

jpr

aa
Feb 1, 2009
Not yet, b1 hasn't been tested enough to release b2.
I like how it looks now, I'll probably add some more detail, but nothign major, I never intended it to look like premuda for example, but more like badwater and pipeline. And yeah, I'm aware that many people here think those maps are ugly.
Edit: yeah little, I'll fix those

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
I like how it looks now, I'll probably add some more detail, but nothign major, I never intended it to look like premuda for example, but more like badwater and pipeline. And yeah, I'm aware that many people here think those maps are ugly.

I find it refreshing that not alls the maps give you the feeling of screaming : "look !! I'm so detailled !" To be true, the various textures available features huge variations in high frequency from the complex metal/wooden textures to the simplest concrete/dirt ground. Therefore buildings wearing these won't handle the same way of being detailled. With the metallic feel + varied roof, some windows gives a good start in your map. Things like varied details added to the border of the main chokes and such will follow eventually.

When confronted with plainer textures as ground or concrete wall (as I found out in casablanca), using the ambient occlusion, detailing props and brush, and overlay is far more necessary. And as a map tester, I've witnessed my share of really detailed maps with broken gameplay.

Dr. Spud

Grossly Incandescent
aa
Mar 23, 2009

The thing about badwater or pipeline is that the overall designs of the the buildings are very unique and striking. It makes up for the low detail. But in snowdrift, you've got the low detail applied to kind of... generic buildings.

I don't think it looks awful by any means, but I wouldn't set the map next to badwater or pipeline.

May 2, 2009
I don't know if this is problem but it is really easy to stickyjump and capture cp as demoman. 2 stickys and boom, you're on the point. In the SourceTV you can see me doing this in the last round on blue.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I enjoyed the map a lot and I have no real complaints about the gameplay. :)

Anyway, you need some objects - be it more brush additions or props - along the rooftops as they're currently just boring flat lines against the skybox.

Last edited:

littleedge

L1111: Clipping Guru
aa
Mar 2, 2009
I think for detail, you just need to add some things on the outsides of the map. So on top of roofs, or behind fences. Some walls in Snowdrift are very, very bland and need a little detailing, while others might not be Cashworks-detailed, but they look nice. Just add a few props her and there, but try not to use so many windows - You've got a lot already.

Last edited:

Uriak

Apr 27, 2008
I ran the map a couple rounds on our server, for a full 12v12 play test.

Many players expressed that they liked your map, so it's quite a good start. (my players are dreaded ^^). But at the same time they expressed regret about the chocky nature of some areas, especially for the first and last CP.

As you'll see neither team could achieve victory, the first one being stopped after the first point and the other after 3. I explained them beforehand that capture could be instant and uncontested but I don't really know if they used these facts. On the second round, reds featured some strong team compositions, with at least 2 medics and 2 engies (our server is class limited btw, one sniper limit being the most important fact). Spies were quite nasty.

I took a demo, get it there I played heavy, I hope you'll find it usefull, in any case.

Good luck for beta 2, while somewhat less ambitious than other push ctf in development, yours has a good gameplay wibe, imho, and may be ultimately more appealing to play regularily.