Silvertrail

CP Silvertrail RC2

Lazy Eskimo

L2: Junior Member
May 17, 2009
Everyone thought the world was flat at one point. If it is considered the best map by people who don't know what they talking about it's still not good.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
I really, really tried hard to make the connector between A and B as short as possible (and still block vis), because it was one of the things I found frustrating in Gravel pit (not being able to relocate fast enough). If a team acts fast enough they can stop captures at both points, the capping times in gp styled maps are long for this very reason.

And It shouldn't be easy (as in effortless) to have a successful mobile defence, that would make it incredibly boring to play on the blue team. You see, it's a balance I must maintain, where it's equally fun to play both offense and defence. I'm not quite there yet but that's what I have the beta testing for.

You make several valid points and provide great views on gameplay, but suddenly changing the gamemode is not something I'm willing to do this late in development.

E.B.

L1: Registered
Mar 15, 2009
(Not to derail the thread or anything) The world's shape can actually be objectively determined. When you say "best" map in a videogame you really mean "most enjoyable," and that's totally subjective and personal. It's entirely possible for you to hate gravelpit and for someone else to consider it their favorite map without either of you being wrong.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
cpsilvertrailb10000.jpg

This grate here facing C can be abused by snipers who open it to pop off a shot they've lined up, and close it right after. I always thought you should be able to spam snipers once you know where they are, but that could be just me. I'd suggest removing the gate entirely

I've been looking at this, with your feedback in mind.
They weren't there in the early alphas (or maybe it was just during my private testing) but I installed those gates to force the snipers forwards. Having no gates at all was just too easy for them (snipes).
The gate is not one-way so it's not a very safe hiding spot. Just have a pyro or something flush them out every now or then, the only nearby health pickup is outside (towards C), so it's difficult to put out flames once you burn in that spot.

The only thing I can think of is adding a delay before it closes, how does that sound?

Last edited:

uma plata

L6: Sharp Member
Jan 20, 2009
I've been looking at this, with your feedback in mind.
They weren't there in the early alphas (or maybe it was just during my private testing) but I installed those gates to force the snipers forwards. Having no gates at all was just too easy for them (snipes).
The gate is not one-way so it's not a very safe hiding spot. Just have a pyro or something flush them out every now or then, the only nearby health pickup is outside (towards C), so it's difficult to put out flames once you burn in that spot.

The only thing I can think of is adding a delay before it closes, how does that sound?

Yea, I wouldn't say it's super OP or anything. I don't think a delay on the gate close would be necessary.

How about a free-standing wall in front of the gate...make the sniper have to expose himself a little longer to take a shot:
cpsilvertrailb10000.jpg

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Map is not forgotten!

I'm still collecting data from different servers with the b2 release, but it's hard to get a hold of the real win/loss numbers. But for now it seems A and B are equally hard to defend/capture while C is slightly in blues favor.

I've also worked on smoothing up the 3D skybox, replacing some displacement mountains with models.
And people who are hanging out in the chat will know that I have been having 'fun' updating the custom 2d sky (again) the past few days.
This here is the result ingame:
Team_Fortress_2-2009.07.06-14.00.55.jpg

I hope you like it.

I've also started to tinker around with 3ds max to make a custom explosion for the TNT Storage, the current physbox one looks like total ass, and I think im making good progress with the rayfire tool, I've made a few test animations, but I'm still trying to learn get a hang of the working environment so it might be some time before I finish this part.

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I like it. How did you make it? Did you have all the sections of the skybox side-by-side on the canvas whilst you were working on it?

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Yes. Keeping all of the sides next to eachother makes it so much easier to make sure they fit together.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008

Westerhound

L5: Dapper Member
Feb 5, 2009
Visually this looks awesaome at places and some places it doesnt look as good. The terrain edges are really squarish and some places are a bit empty too (sceenshots).

Sorry for big screenies i cba to drive them thru any program to make smalleer, i hope you can live with it. I also hope you know where the first screenshot is as i dont, but i think it is somewhere on the left (BLU view) when you go to C

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
I think everyone enjoyed this map at gameday today. The routes to the points are simple and obvious that you dont have to search for them. I especially love the route in the middle that splits left and right to A and B for blu. Once you get the the points they get very open, witch is good, but a little cluttered. The ways to the points are great, but once you arrive their are tons of ways to get to the cap and its hard to tell where the other team is coming from because their is so much clutter.

They design of the caps are great though, B is the less cluttered and probably the best, but a and c can get confusing.

This was the first time i played it and i really liked it.

Aseoun

L1: Registered
Jul 23, 2009
Played this map for the first time on Wednesday's gameday. I very much enjoyed your map. I cannot remember if it is a or b, but the cap point with the wooden enclosure and a ramp leading to the top of it seems very well done to me, promoting enjoyable gameplay as well as being aesthetically appealing. C is also very well done. I don't really have much in the way of suggestions for you other than taking another look at your choice of textures. I cannot put my finger on it but some feel out of place.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
The main issue I can see with this map right now, from a gameplay standpoint. Is the extreme lack of sentrygun positions at C.
The defence just doesn't have a safe spot to hide in. Because the attackers can come from pretty much any angle.

I've looked all over C and I can't find a way to include a decent sentry spot either... so I'm open for all suggestions (I'm also a crap engineer, so I really need help with this one).

Others seem to like the focus on player-based (as opposed to AI controlled turrets :p) defence though, and I must agree. But something has to be done to forcefully counter reds terrible win ratio.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
Hey.. anyone remember this map?

Now that the contest is over and I get to relax a little bit. I want finish up this map that I started almost a year ago now.

Dunno when I'll have a new version, but it won't be long hopefully. Main goal is to make C defendable.

Sgt.Sausage

L420: High Member
Dec 5, 2008
Of corse i do, one of my favorite a/d triangle cp maps. Still love the route for blu thats splits to A and B.

Enjoy you break and get back to work on this map. :p

Psy

The Imp Queen
aa
Apr 9, 2008
I have yet to play this map and I look forward to seeing it on a Gameday sometime. :D

Void

Local Man Unable To Map, Sources Say
aa
Sep 14, 2008
Try the Panic Lighting and Sky.

Just a quick test. I just want to see it.