Should we get an IRC or Shoutbox?

Should we get an IRC or Shoutbox?

• Total voters

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
wait, we have a channel already?

ugh now I have to investigate what the hell IRC actually IS and how I actually USE it ¬_¬

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
wait, we have a channel already?

ugh now I have to investigate what the hell IRC actually IS and how I actually USE it ¬_¬
all you do is download bonzaibuddy.exe

run that and it will automatically connect you to the channel

A Boojum Snark

Toraipoddodezain Mazahabado
aa
Nov 2, 2007
I just want to say, so far, my experience with a new chatroom has been a much more friendlier, receptive, and all-around more enjoyable environment focused more around mapping than the random, inane crap you find on steamchat.

<3
It's just something new. People are trying to prove it's useful/viable. Give it time. The inanity will arise.

Sel

Banned
Feb 18, 2009
No it won't.

IRC is already the better form of chat, and it'll be at the point where the steam chatroom ought to be shut down when we get a trivia bot !

Last edited:

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
It's just something new. People are trying to prove it's useful/viable. Give it time. The inanity will arise.

Oh it will. There is no stopping that.

In other news, I put together a small little page that makes it easy for people to try out mirc with nnscript, if they thought it was a bit complicated, which I suppose is to be expected, as with any new applications you come in contact with.. (like me trying to get grips on a modeling software!)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/1281220/mirc/index.html

Give it a try before dismissing it entirely, of course; using a client such as mIRC isn't the only way to connect, but in my opinion it's the best :)

Terr

Cranky Coder
aa
Jul 31, 2009
Just chaining these two together:

My experience of IRC left me crying in a corner, why over complicate things with it?
or you could get an IRC plugin for the site. poke poke poke

Done right, some flash/java IRC clients are basically a "no install" irc client that runs on the local machine. The web-server's only interaction is to provide a way to launch them.