Resupply locker art contest idea

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by Dispencer, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Dispencer

Dispencer L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    Hi, I've put together a rough brief and submission guideline for a contest.

Open to suggestions, on any aspect of the brief except the fact that it will be for a resupply locker.

Before the contest goes live I will need to sort out a couple of people to actually create the locker for the winner. Give me a shout if you'd like to contribute.

2. Artesia

Artesia L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    I'd rather have it be to actually make the locker. I don't usually like showing people my concept art because I usually only draw enough that I can model it.

Also, this could be made theme specific, like swamp theme. Make the resupply lockers old beat up and dirty versions of the current lockers, maybe even made of wood, with the recognizable + on the front.

3. Dispencer

Positive Ratings:
    I wanted to keep it theme agnostic. Users are welcome to try and incorporate elements of certain themes (spytech, swamp). I don't want to actually encourage people to develop for one particular theme that is the flavour of the month.

If other people would prefer it to be art+modeling then that's cool with me. I didn't want it to distract from the other contests currently taking place.

4. nik

nik L12: Fabulous Member

Positive Ratings:
    good idea.

would love to see some cool new models for resupply lockers.

make it where you actually BUILD the model, otherwise its pointless. if someone has a good idea for one, they could team up with a modeller and make a team effort, perhaps?

5. Micnax

aa Micnax I maek map

Positive Ratings:
    Be better if it was 'Create a locker skin', not a full blown model.

6. Dr. Spud

aa Dr. Spud Grossly Incandescent

Positive Ratings:
    Hate to be blunt, but:

This is exactly why I don't want people making replacements. I don't want to play custom maps that replace basic gameplay items with some useless replacement - regardless of how well-made it is. It causes unnecessary confusion.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. Terr

aa Terr Cranky Coder

Positive Ratings:
    A lot of players still don't know about the ambulance...

Anyway, about the only resupply alternative I'd like to see is a near-identical one which just happens to be half as tall, for use as a cupboard.

Other than that, I'd really only want new models if it was for a correspondingly different behavior, like a no-metal or health-only closet.

8. Bacteriophage

Bacteriophage L1: Registered

Positive Ratings:
    [​IMG]

Just because. I'm not really pro for replacing the locker. I agree: it's iconic and recognizable (necessarily so.)

9. Dispencer

Positive Ratings:
    This isn't a replacement, I didn't say it would be. If you don't like what the contest produces then you're not obliged to use it. But there could be some nice designs, and they could fit in better with other maps. Readability is the number 1 judging criteria for a reason. It's not like we're changing health packs or things you need to read in the field.

I think we will go ahead with the idea of designing and creating it. But instead limiting it to one submission per person or persons. Final submissions will have to be ready and compiled for Source.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2009