QWTF and TFC map remakes?

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
badlands, 2fort, well, goldrush, dustbowl, badwater basin: none of these tell you anything useful about the map. A name is a name: it should be distinctive and recognisable, and preferably appropriate to your theme. Anything more is over-analyzing.

Badlands tells me it's a desert themed map with rocky out crops. I should expect varying heights with rocks with dirt and sand.

2fort, see above.

Well is a poor port and the theme no longer matches the original name.

Goldrush tells me it's a 'gold rush' featuring heavy mining equipment, with many out lying structures. I should expect mining equipment, structures of varying purpose and designs, with many storage houses and piles of rubble.

Dustbowl tells me it's a sandy low land with infrequent shacks. I should expect a couple wooden based structures dispersed between areas of sand, and for the land to largely be flat.

Badwater Basin tells me it's a basin surrounded by mountains. I should expect some open space with tall rocky out crops.

All of these names hint to the content of the map.

goldrock gulch is an unoriginal use of previously used themes and words. I pretty much got Gulch, but then a large number of other maps have as well. "Gold rock" doesn't make much sense either. I'm simply saying the name could be made more original and appropriate.

A name doesn't have to make sense. No. A name can be just a name. Or, you could have a decent name that reflects your map and its originality and inginuity.

I would rather have the latter.

Last edited:

UKCS-Alias

Mann vs Machine... or... Mapper vs Meta?
aa
Sep 8, 2008
Well, pipeline was the original idea for the looks... which was changed quite alot afterward... A name doesnt allways have to match the map but if it has a background story on the name its generaly fine anyway as it tells something about the map. You at least know its based arround a pipeline even though you barely see anything of it.

Even achievement_idle has a good name. Its not an achievement to idle but it has a background story on the achievement part. And idling was the result of that.

Steel actualy doesnt have such a good name. However, it does fit the map a bit and therefor people already like it.

Hoodoo is also a good name... most here already know why as youme explained it already with his knowledge about rocks :) This is an original example of the use of rocks in the name btw. Even though people relate it to voodoo alot more. And the map doesnt contain that at all

Yukon is purely based on the location

A name is highly important for a map. If the name doesnt fit to the map it just will fail... Try to make a map named cp_trainstation without even adding some traintracks in the map. People will just complain as they expect trains, alot of them. The more vague the name is the better it becomes often though. cp_wolf for example...

Its not hard to pick a good name for a map. All that you need is some relation to the map and its fine.

Thingy Person

L1: Registered
Sep 6, 2009

I think that's a load of crock. That list is very subjective and inherently biased because you already know the maps. Why is there no water in pl_badwater? Why is it so cramped in cp_dustbowl? Is mesa platforming really the first thing you think of when you hear cp_badlands, as opposed to the wide open prairie?

Names should accomodate the theme and appearance of the map. If I make a harvest map named cp_sunfall, don't expect intense falling action.

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
I think that's a load of crock. That list is very subjective and inherently biased because you already know the maps. Why is there no water in pl_badwater? Why is it so cramped in cp_dustbowl? Is mesa platforming really the first thing you think of when you hear cp_badlands, as opposed to the wide open prairie?

Names should accomodate the theme and appearance of the map. If I make a harvest map named cp_sunfall, don't expect intense falling action.

You're obviously not a very well educated individual, and have served to only prove my point in that one needs to research naming their maps.

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badwater_Basin[/ame]

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dustbowl[/ame]

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Badlands[/ame]

These map names represent their content. So what if i've played them before? That doesn't mean i can't make a legitimate point about it.

Badwater has no water because badwater has no water. Badlands has rocky outcrops because badlands have rocky outcrops. Dustbowls have wooden structures on low mesa's with a lot of sand because this is how the term was derived. The only reason why it doesn't have excessively wide open areas is because of gameplay mechanics. For a more appropriate environment indicative to the name, see the original TFC map, as can be said for all of the ports.

cp_sunfall is a bad name because it tells you nothing about the map other than it is probably at sunset. This would be a name for the sake of having a name, rather than one indicative of your environment.

P.S. cp_steel is a steel mill. It's just not that obvious because its detail pass was not completed before it was purchased by valve.

http://www.1fort.com/blog/interview-fishbus-creator-of-cp_steel/

Last edited: