QWTF and TFC map remakes?

Discussion in 'Team Fortress 2 Talk' started by General_Norris, Jan 16, 2010.

1. General_Norris

General_Norris L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I would like to see some remakes of maps from previous TF games. I didn't personally play them but I'm a sucker for videogame history.

However most remakes look way too TFCish (ie, ugly) so I would never put them in a server. In fact, the only TFC remake that I know of that doesn't look like crap is Avantiville.

Do you know of any good TF/TFC maps remakes that fit into TF2?

2. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Not really, 99% remakes suck. If you really want one it would be in your better interest to learn hammer and make it yourself.

3. martijntje

martijntje L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    well, 2fort, badlands, dustbowl
    they are all remakes

4. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    I said 99% of remakes suck. Well, Badlands, and Dustbowl are in the 1%.

5. absurdistof

aa absurdistof

Positive Ratings:
    You can't just port the map either because the gameplay mechanics are different so..

6. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Personally i've found for the layout of a TFC map to generally not compliment TF2 mechanics. In scoring methods, weapon abilities (lack of grenades), class speeds or scale.

This very fact is emphasised by the use of timed capture zones instead of insta flag caps in A/D. Several layout changes that improve gameplay for the ported maps, but still don't managed to completely fix the layout design issues. Multiple visual hints for "intel" recognition that are supposed to balance flag movement/endangerment, and generally new game modes that play a lot better than the officially reworked ports. Badlands is probably the most successful port, and it bares little resemblance to the original, not to mention how the pub scene has yet to even warm to it (I'm surprised it's not even ported to CTF, it'd actually be interesting to see how CTF mechanics work on such an open map).

7. tovilovan

tovilovan L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    There is a badlands CTF remake called ctf_nightlands, which is probably one of the best ctf maps I've played. Not that I like remakes or just changing the gamemode of a map, but the open layout works really well compared to the cramped intel areas of ctf_2fort.

8. KarmaPolice

KarmaPolice L3: Member

Positive Ratings:
    TF2 Badlands has practically nothing in common with TFC Badlands, nor does TF2 Well have much resemblance to its TFC counterpart. Even 2fort and Dustbowl have several differences (sewers, stage 1 point 2, etc.).

I'd like to see a proper remake of Warpath... all the ones I've seen are rather underdetailed.

9. Caliostro

Caliostro L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Fixed that for you.

10. martijntje

martijntje L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    I dont have TFC so I dont know,

could you technicaly decompile maps from TFC and import them in hammer?

what is wrong with dustbowl?

11. MrAlBobo

MrAlBobo L13: Stunning Member

Positive Ratings:
    :facepalm:
    Badlands is not a remake, its an entirely different map with the same name. Well is only loosely based on its tfc version

12. Lancey

aa Lancey Currently On: ?????

Positive Ratings:
    I don't like Well, maybe I should remove it from your quote because general opinion is less than or equal to my opinion.

13. jpr

aa jpr

Positive Ratings:
    Yes it is... It does look really different because of all the displacements, but the layout is pretty much the same.

14. TMP

aa TMP Abuser of Site Rules

Positive Ratings:
    The most tf2 looking version of Warpath that I have seen is cp_warpath_v3 (as its name). The gameplay is the same though in most regards.

15. Caliostro

Caliostro L6: Sharp Member

Positive Ratings:
    Lmao, I thought "well" in there stood for the expression, like "oh well". You can remove well from that list too, by all means. In fact, I insist:

There. Fixed.

Remakes are generally bloody stupid, for the terminally unimaginative.

16. General_Norris

General_Norris L2: Junior Member

Positive Ratings:
    I have been unable to locate that file or see the map. How is it?

17. HeaH

HeaH L8: Fancy Shmancy Member

Positive Ratings:
    Wasn't Fishbus working on a Warpath remake?

18. The Political Gamer

aa The Political Gamer

Positive Ratings:
    Yes, Goldrock gulch.

19. grazr

aa grazr Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle

Positive Ratings:
    Original name... Seriously, how do people fail so badly at naming their maps appropriately, it's almost as important as the actual creation of the map. It gives the player a preview of the theme of the map, and given the prefix of the mode it utilises, portential layout scenario's.

Names should really be researched and thought about analytically. Not just by thinking of basic ambiguous names like gulch, warehouse, factory or industrial that every nub and his dog already made a "my first map" of.

I mean goldrock gulch is ok, at least for a warpatch design, if otherwise completely unimaginative. Recylcing the "gold", throwing in the unimaginative "gulch" and "rock" ..well we all know there's tons of rock in TF2. IT just sounds like a name thought of in 5 seconds and "Yea, well that'll do, it's only the name".

• Thanks Thanks x 1
  20. VelvetFistIronGlove

aa VelvetFistIronGlove

Positive Ratings:
    badlands, 2fort, well, goldrush, dustbowl, badwater basin: none of these tell you anything useful about the map. A name is a name: it should be distinctive and recognisable, and preferably appropriate to your theme. Anything more is over-analyzing.