Propaganda contest Runners up announced

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nineaxis

Quack Doctor
aa
May 19, 2008
No clue, still awaiting email.

Most likely a Mann Co. t-shirt or something like that.

Colt Seavers

L6: Sharp Member
Dec 30, 2007
I dunno, I haven't got an e-mail yet. All I know is it's all going to be from the Valve store and it will have a shirt.

Is this one yours then?

evolution.jpg

- because i think it has real merit 8) Great!

nik

L12: Fabulous Member
Aug 14, 2009
WHERE'S MA EMAIL VALVE

also the package will probably contain the mann co t-shirt and maybe a pack of trading cards :\

Rasputin

L3: Member
Sep 20, 2008
When you're competing for a prize and some of the crap they gave prizes to gets one, and you don't, it's very serious.

If it was just a mention, who cares, but when you compete being led to believe that the top 30ish entries will get cool prizes, to have 2 second ms paint jobs take a prize its a kick in the balls, then another once you're down, then a curb stomp.

Its just disrespectful to all the people who actually tried.

@grazr the funny thing about the few really crap entries is valve's comments about them, not the entry themselves. They're just sad.

I'm coming across as more upset than I actually am because I want you to understand my point rather than shrug it off like most of you have. This isn't how people who have put effort in should be treated.

So you're bitter, and you embellish your bitterness just for the sake of having everyone agree with you?

Is it really worth the effort. This isn't the lottery, there is no cash prize. You might be disappointed but complaining does absolutely nothing.

Jan 20, 2010
The ones that suck didn't win. They lost because their awful skills have been put in front of the public to laugh at how much they suck. They might get a shirt, but they'll never get back their pride. At least keep that, YM. Valve wasn't rewarding them for how good they were, they were making fun of them.

Also, I highly doubt if those sucky ones were removed that they would've included more to replace them. They just added the sucky ones for laughs. No one is missing out on anything.

Boylee

pew pew pew
aa
Apr 29, 2008
Because you don't reward someone that hasn't actually done well....

Define 'doing well'.

Is making 500 people laugh less valuable than making 500 people say "I wish I could do that"?

Also the whole "you shouldn't reward crap that took minutes to make" argument falls flat on it's face as soon as you look at an area like modern art.

Besides, did VALVe even specify how they would judge the entries?

eyefork

L3: Member
Oct 27, 2008
Also, I highly doubt if those sucky ones were removed that they would've included more to replace them. They just added the sucky ones for laughs. No one is missing out on anything.

This. They chose many for their artistic value, and a few for their comedic value. They never explicitly said they were choosing all winners based on their artistic quality. Whether or not someone sees the humor in the low quality entries is a matter of opinion though. I can relate!

gsmile.jpg

Last edited:

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I'm coming across as more upset than I actually am because I want you to understand my point rather than shrug it off like most of you have. This isn't how people who have put effort in should be treated.

Thanks for shrugging off my point. I'm not bitter, I never expected to win anything, sure it would have been cool but like I said, I know my skill isn't high enough to win in an art competition so my hopes weren't up. Now I know my skill is also too high to win.

Ida

deer
aa
Jan 6, 2008
I don't quite get why, but it seems like you think they're taking away your prize (or some other skilled person's prize) to make room for something they decided was too hilariously bad to go to waste.

I don't see what stops it from being bloody obvious that it's just something they threw in for the hell of it. It's called having a sense of humor. :/

ethankarnopp

L1: Registered
Dec 11, 2009
I agree with YM, it's kinda like the argument that a lot of assholes like me bring up when they hear about softball leagues that don't keep score cause it's all about fun. People with skill should be rewarded, and the people that aren't up to par now know to work harder. But regardless I think Valve was just trying to include a larger portion of their demographic rather than to only commend career artists.

Jan 20, 2010
I agree with YM, it's kinda like the argument that a lot of assholes like me bring up when they hear about softball leagues that don't keep score cause it's all about fun. People with skill should be rewarded, and the people that aren't up to par now know to work harder. But regardless I think Valve was just trying to include a larger portion of their demographic rather than to only commend career artists.

They did reward people with skill. And honestly, if you think you "won" because your sucky entry was included then you're being delusional.

ethankarnopp

Dec 11, 2009
I think the part where artists can be a bit bitter is that yes people with skill were rewarded but people with no skill were also rewarded...They did win though? How is that being delusional when the post named the runners up?

drp

aa
Oct 25, 2007
I think the part where artists can be a bit bitter is that yes people with skill were rewarded but people with no skill were also rewarded...They did win though? How is that being delusional when the post named the runners up?
specific guidelines where not given on how entries would be judged. 'skill' is subjective.

Jan 20, 2010

Your definition of "win" is getting a shirt. My definition of "win" is being showcased for your immense amount of skill. The people who were posted on the front page of a blog that thousands look at who were shown for their incredible lack of skill for the sake of hilarity did not win.

ethankarnopp

Dec 11, 2009
How they judge it is their prerogative, I agree. But to go into a tangent skill is not subjective. Taste is subjective. Skill is completely objective and the properties that an artist uses in a piece makes art objectively better. Now an artist can go about a piece in several different ways to make a piece objectively better, that's where the freedom of art comes in, but if certain inconsistencies or conflicts in design exist, it then sacrifices a piece's quality. People might like certain art that isn't done as skillfully because it appeals to their taste more than other art that is done masterfully well. But that doesn't make it better in a pictorial sense.

Jan 20, 2010
How they judge it is their prerogative, I agree. But to go into a tangent skill is not subjective. Taste is subjective. Skill is completely objective and the properties that an artist uses in a piece makes art objectively better. Now an artist can go about a piece in several different ways to make a piece objectively better, that's where the freedom of art comes in, but if certain inconsistencies or conflicts in design exist, it then sacrifices a piece's quality. People might like certain art that isn't done as skillfully because it appeals to their taste more than other art that is done masterfully well. But that doesn't make it better in a pictorial sense.

In this case, I don't think the argument is whether or not people with skill were rewarded. I think the argument is more whether or not the people who obviously lack skill were rewarded unfairly.

In this case, I don't think they were because they were made fun of instead of rewarded. Sure, they got a shirt, but it's not like valve is saying "Oh yeah, these posters are really good." No, they were saying "These posters were super bad and made us laugh, take a look and laugh at them too." In that aspect, they didn't really win anything.

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
In this case, I don't think they were because they were made fun of instead of rewarded. Sure, they got a shirt, but it's not like valve is saying "Oh yeah, these posters are really good." No, they were saying "These posters were super bad and made us laugh, take a look and laugh at them too." In that aspect, they didn't really win anything.

When valve ship you official merch for free, you are most definitely being rewarded, deny that and you need your head examining. And when you're rewarding extra crap entries instead of extra good entries it seems kinda unfair.

Even distinguishing properly between them, instead of "these are all runners up, some are crap", "These are runners up, and these are some crap ones we found funny, they can have some stuff too" would have been far better than lumping them all together.

Jan 20, 2010
When valve ship you official merch for free, you are most definitely being rewarded, deny that and you need your head examining. And when you're rewarding extra crap entries instead of extra good entries it seems kinda unfair.

Even distinguishing properly between them, instead of "these are all runners up, some are crap", "These are runners up, and these are some crap ones we found funny, they can have some stuff too" would have been far better than lumping them all together.

They distinguished properly between them by giving them ridiculous names and anyone with half a brain can tell they're meant as a joke. Sure, you can look at it that they got a shirt so their being rewarded in the sense that they sucked so much that valve found it funny.

I just don't see any other way to explain this. These people were mocked for how bad they were. To me, whether or not they got a shirt is irrelevant. I have a seriously hard time criticizing valve for making us laugh which was their ONLY intent when they posted those clearly awful "winners."

YM

LVL100 YM
aa
Dec 5, 2007
I've already made my points in the previous pages, you're not countering them. The joke is in pointing them out, that's fine, awarding extra mentions, that's fine, giving out prizes to runners up, that's fine. Calling the laughing stock runners up isn't, and giving them exclusive valve stuff (more than just a tee almost certainly) for being a laughing stock when there are so many more deserving entrants out there isn't right.

But yeah, if you want to tell me what constitutes "winning" some more you go for it. Latch onto a keyword and hammer your view with it some more, cause I can't see who or what you're countering with your "winning" argument.

Status
Not open for further replies.