Promotion

grazr

Old Man Mutant Ninja Turtle
aa
Mar 4, 2008
You have some long sightlines in areas, although i didn't really see them get exploited they do pose the issue of them being exploited in the future, not to mention the optimisation related ramifications.

pl_promotion_a3_50015.jpg

I wouldn't necassrily say clip the entirety of the trees, they take up a lot of space and this would reduce player mobility. But add a clip (or nodraw or blockbullets) in the core of the tree where the trunk would be, atleast this way players cannot totaly conceal themselves or buildings within them.

pl_promotion_a3_50010.jpg

This is a very strong sniper spot. You can barely see them as they only expose their heads and shoulders and if that weren't enough it's a sight directly into a spawn passage and a location of minimal vulnerability if not a little open to spy's.

pl_promotion_a3_50013.jpg

These arn't necassery. It's not even that bad to allow players to move about in this general area, once the gates open their last priority would be to test where they can get further back in the map. If need be, (and it will be, whether further back or right here), add the security fence. You simply just don't want those floating decals in open areas of the map.

pl_promotion_a3_50011.jpg

These doors open too slowly, also, they really need to be round gates, as it serves as the proper visual hint that these are round exit points and to what degree they are being camped by enemies.

Other than these quarrels the maps layout was pretty balanced. Strong sentry positions could be out ranged if teams worked together. A lot of flanking oppotunities for demo's and soldiers too, but this also meant soldiers and demo's were the class choice in general.

The area around and beyond the first cp was problematic with it's 128 unit high ceiling and tiny corridors. They need to be made larger and taller.

You also need to implement some round gates that prevent BLU from getting too far ahead of themselves, the abundance of routes and general openess in the first area let through many pyro's, scouts and demo's into behind the RED spawn before the first CP was capped.

Last edited:

AgeNt_

L5: Dapper Member
Aug 12, 2009
alright! updated to a new version!

Code:
From 0.0.3.5
-added more minor detail on first stage capture point 1
-opened capture point ones rooms up a bit more, added more hieght
-removed all "no entry" textures on stage 3 setup
-revamped stage 2 cap 2 middle building
-added grate doors on stage 2 setup for blue to tell doors that will open from doors that are locked
-fixed several little bugs
-blocked players from camping in trees
-fixed a sniper sightline on stage 1

Sep 12, 2008
sorry
that didn't have anything to do about the map - i crashed. but I had no idea that I could still fire? o_O

McNuggetFiend

L3: Member
Jun 22, 2009
I've uploaded it to my Pub, we've been a bit dead lately so no promises on how often it will get played but it is there and hopefully we can give it a run through.

Sep 1, 2009
Played the map aswell tody and found about three things:

-At the start there is a small problem with the wall.
2mf0vvn.jpg

-I kept getting stuck in this door after I went though it.
35clz74.jpg

-Finally around the first point there is a real hight difference which kinda makes it unfair for the attackers.

AgeNt_

Aug 12, 2009
finally! i finished beta 2 and it is now released!

Code:
From 0.1.0.0
-lowered 3rd floor on stage 1 end room down to the 2nd floor
-redid red spawn room on stage 1
-redid exit on red spawn room on stage 2 to stop less spamming/camping
-blocked off middle ramp and caves on stage 2 end part
-tweaked end part of stage 2
-re-configured building in stage 1 to make more sense
-added custom soundscapes
-added cubemaps
-optimized (should be a lot better!)
-various tweaks here and there.

Seba

DR. BIG FUCKER, PHD
aa
Jun 9, 2009
You've some weird-ass prop errors in first RED spawn, as seen here.
These lights don't really fit, imo. Especially not while they're clipped into the logs.
Light seeping through here.
Move this health closer to the wall on my right, it's very dangerous to get atm.
This general area is terribad. RED has a bunch of one-way dropdowns and tons of height advantage, while BLU has only two ways up, one of which is with the kart.
This is just awful. It's pretty much only useful for Demo spam and can be pushed through with at least tree successful Ubers; it took us four Ubers and the fact that RED can't get back into spawn to win.
This wall is awkward.
That displacement makes little to no sense.
Make these nonsolid func_brushes.
Terrible spawn. RED has no way of retreating once BLU pushes in and are trapped in that area until a) RED spams the enemy off the kart or b) BLU wins the game. Oh, and remove the cap hologram from the bottom of the pit.

AgeNt_

Aug 12, 2009
You've some weird-ass prop errors in first RED spawn, as seen here.
These lights don't really fit, imo. Especially not while they're clipped into the logs.
Light seeping through here.
Move this health closer to the wall on my right, it's very dangerous to get atm.
This general area is terribad. RED has a bunch of one-way dropdowns and tons of height advantage, while BLU has only two ways up, one of which is with the kart.
This is just awful. It's pretty much only useful for Demo spam and can be pushed through with at least tree successful Ubers; it took us four Ubers and the fact that RED can't get back into spawn to win.
This wall is awkward.
That displacement makes little to no sense.
Make these nonsolid func_brushes.
Terrible spawn. RED has no way of retreating once BLU pushes in and are trapped in that area until a) RED spams the enemy off the kart or b) BLU wins the game. Oh, and remove the cap hologram from the bottom of the pit.

-yeah it was meant to be a faded prop to help optimization, then i realized i didnt need it to happen, but i forgot to fix. it will be fixed.
-that was just a test to see if something i had in mind worked. it will be removed.
-that will be fixed
-will do.
-would you suggest i just make that whole area a ramp?
-this area has been tweaked a lot. i had 2 other alternate routes before but it led blu right into the red defense giving them little to no chance. i am still having troubles on what i should do so any advice is helpful.
-yes it is, will be fixed
-from what i see, it does now lol, fixed.
-will do
-fixes already in mind. something like badwater hopefully, or even goldrush final point.

REEJ

L420: High Member
Aug 26, 2010
1. These low ceiling-passes for the cart (stage 1 probably) looked really off

Wilson

Boomer by Sleep
aa
May 4, 2010
Once blue got past horrible bottlenecks, it was just steamroll for them.
Mostly because outside the really red favoring bottlenecks there was no single position to set up good sentry that would hold blue back. Only sentry spot i found that wasn't useless was exposed to 4 huge sightlines.

Also there seems to be too much ammo and health, during playtest i kept finding more and more rooms with health and ammo.

surgeon

L1: Registered
Apr 5, 2010
the last point is horrible - no way back into the spawn so all the engies actually build inside the spawn (??) and if you do venture out, your entire team has the one little platform next to the final point to defend, it's basically a shooting gallery.

i liked the other areas, even if a lot of them were very one-sided, but the last point should be much, much more open with more than one spawn-exit.

ShamanBond

Apr 16, 2010
The last point is a nightmare. Blu has a hugely long push up that hill and red can wipe them out very easily.

Unless Red is completely incompetent and then Blu can spawncamp the heck out of the last red point.

ShamanBond

Apr 16, 2010
Just ran into a glitch that made me pull this map off the rotation on our server.

At the final cap point the Kart sometimes gets stuck on the lip of the pit, so it's impossible to cap for blu.