Problem with hammer.

Sep 7, 2012
Can we get text of said email?

This is embarrassing, but I find that my life revolves around hammer recently and I'm going into withdrawal.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
It is nothing of interest or value. Effectively "This is describing the same bug as before but in a different environment. Why would this be happening?"

static2601

L2: Junior Member
Nov 4, 2010
You'll all be pleased to know I emailed the TF team and Tony Paloma CCed me on his own email to the rest of the team. They seem to be aware of the issue and are working on it. No ETA given.

Thanks, I am desperately waiting for the fix as everyone else is. Ugh i Cant stand not being able to map when i have the most time to.

static2601

L2: Junior Member
Nov 4, 2010
Can we get text of said email?

This is embarrassing, but I find that my life revolves around hammer recently and I'm going into withdrawal.

I didn't know how much i relied on hammer til i started shaking and getting angry at nothing.

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008

Ravidge

Grand Vizier
aa
May 14, 2008
There is nothing in the whitelist referring to overlays or decals.
sv_pure doesn't even crash people. it won't even kick people unless specifically told to do so, on sv_pure 2 only, and then you get a very clear kick message stating the reason. The default behavior is just to force the GCF files over custom files when both are present for a specific texture/model/thing. It doesn't even look for, or care about custom files with unique (custom) names that doesn't actually replace anything.

DeltaDog

L1: Registered
Aug 8, 2012
it bothers me that i nearly completed my map and then this comes and im like...awesome now i can make my map haunted......yeh...hammer just let go of all things i added to the map...this is bull. Vavle need to work on this bug.

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
There is nothing in the whitelist referring to overlays or decals.
sv_pure doesn't even crash people. it won't even kick people unless specifically told to do so, on sv_pure 2 only, and then you get a very clear kick message stating the reason. The default behavior is just to force the GCF files over custom files when both are present for a specific texture/model/thing. It doesn't even look for, or care about custom files with unique (custom) names that doesn't actually replace anything.

Yeah, Ravidge, this was basically my process when Fubar told me what he thought was going on. But then I was able to replicate it. Something about sv_pure is screwed up because it is not working as expected.

Pocket

Half a Lambert is better than one.
aa
Nov 14, 2009
Hammer has got to be one of the most used, long-running programs that has never ever been stable and near-always featuring critical bugs that make no sense.
People just put up with it, it's just "hammer doing its thing, again".

In other cases, there's always 1 dude (or a team of dudes) who gets so sick of it they eventually make their own replacement for the program, which somehow hasn't happened yet with Hammer, I am quite surprised.

In fairness, maybe half the bugs (such as this one) happen because of a change to the engine, not Hammer itself, so any homebrewed alternative would be experiencing the same issues.

Sep 7, 2012
Has anyone tried compiling and running a messed up vmt? I've been editing my maps with a text editor for the last while but it takes a lot of time and constant compiling and checking.

Muffin7

Oct 28, 2012
I don't know if anyone has tried this yet, but it seems if you have SFM installed and you go to steamapps/<username>/common/SourceFilmmaker/game/bin and run the hammer.exe in there, it opens maps completely fine (but I haven't tried compiling any yet)

tyler

aa
Sep 11, 2013
The SFM Hammer will break your VMF by making it unplayable in TF2 and unreadable by old Hammer. I don't advise using it.

Muffin7

Oct 28, 2012
Oh well, it was worth a shot. I've been digging around a little and I've found that if you create a shortcut to hammer.exe in sourcesdk/bin/orangebox/bin and add -dxlevel 80 to it, it seems to work.. Again, I don't know what kind of problems this might cause to your .vmf or whatever, but it's seemingly loading the 2D views and compiling fine.

Sergis

L666: ])oo]v[
aa
Jul 22, 2009
Oh well, it was worth a shot. I've been digging around a little and I've found that if you create a shortcut to hammer.exe in sourcesdk/bin/orangebox/bin and add -dxlevel 80 to it, it seems to work.. Again, I don't know what kind of problems this might cause to your .vmf or whatever, but it's seemingly loading the 2D views and compiling fine.

seems to work so far

except my displacement alphas are inverted :D

edit: seems to crash bit too fast to be useful

Last edited:

froggie

Jan 23, 2009
seems to work so far

except my displacement alphas are inverted :D

edit: seems to crash bit too fast to be useful

I can confirm this. Hammer seems to load just fine. Models&Tools are working.
Alphas are inverted and the models in the 2dviews seem to be have a material problem. Vbsp crashes on compile though.

BUT

When you done editing with the shortcut hammer and save your vmf ( I suggest picking a new name, just in case)
and then load the file in the messed up hammer from the sdk and compile from there everything seems to work just fine. Even alphas are back to normal :D

Untouch

L4: Comfortable Member
Jan 25, 2010

That's working, I'll add this to the OP.

EDIT: I mean, it would be working if it wasn't crashing every 2 seconds.

Last edited: